Carry Ammo for subcompact XD 9mm

Guest gts

Is 147 grain to heavy for this pistol? It only has a 3 in barrel.

Currently I have:

147 Gr. Federal Hydra-Shoks

147 and 115 Gr. Gold Dot

147 Remington Golden Sabers

115 Hornady Critical Defense.

I would like to carry the larger grain, but wonder if the barrel is long enough to offer consistency.

Thanks in Advance!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked about the different 9mm weights a while back and never really got a definite answer from anyone.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, but honestly that 147 grain should be fine in the XD. Some people will say 147 should never be used in any gun. This article is somewhat dated but provides some interesting insight into defensive rounds. Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

I have heard some people say that they carry a heavier round in the winter with the idea being that a bullet will have to travel through more clothing. I'm not sure I really buy into all that but that's just me. I think any of those you have listed will do just fine. I know I wouldn't want to be shot with any of them!

Thanks, will read the info. My biggest concern was velocity. Have heard that there may not be enough barrel length to get the velocity needed to provide consistency, or penetration.

Edited by gts
spelling
Guest TnRebel

I carry the Cor-Bon 115 gr. DPX 9mm +p in my Taurus PT111 Mil Pro because of the Gel test .

Edited by TnRebel

From what I understand it's really more about kinetic energy and expansion than bullet weight... So a +P 115gr can hit harder than a lower velocity 147gr.

I carry +P Speer Gold Dots since they're universally proven, fairly easy to find, and there's a lot of data available on them thanks to the NYPD and other agencies using them... there is a version of them available out there that specifically made for short barreled subcompacts that might be worth checking out.

I carry the Hornady Critical Defense rounds in my itty bitty PF-9 since they're WAY softer shooting if that matters, but they've been designed for maximum expansion even though they're a lighter bullet.

Edited by CK1
Guest rystine

Simple energy numbers are irrelevant when talking about pistols. Heavier rounds ALWAYS penetrate deeper and more reliably (they aren't as likely to bounce around off bones for example). And modern hollow point designs are engineered to expand reliably at the lower velocities of the heavier rounds.

IOW, 147 grains is the way to go with 9mm IMHO. If you go lighter, than it really would be better to go with a +p round, especially out of that 3 inch barrel.

Those gold dots and golden sabers are the best choices with what you have. Hydrashocks are really considered by many to be an outdated bullet design (for example, they tend to not expand reliably if they get plugged up with material).

Guest Bronker

+1 on the 124g Golden Sabers

I carry them in my 4.7" bbl CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom, and the Kahr PM9.

YMMV, but they perform well for me; and I think many folks often get carried away with this decision because if you ask 100 people of various knowledge bases, their opinion on the perfect carry round, you will get 75 different opinions.

I'm of the belief that you find a round with a good reputation (like the majority of them do) and see what runs best out of your gun. It's an expensive experiment, but on the saddest of days that God-forbid you might have to test your hypothesis...you'll be glad you did your own personal research.

I've got mags full of Golden Sabers, Speer GD and even a few off-breeds right this moment. I've vetted them all in my guns, and they all run fine. The ones that didn't became very expensive plinking rounds.

I feel very comfortable with off-the-shelf Golden Sabers and Speer's. I carry both in all my EDC's, in 9mm, .40, and .45 calibers.

some people say that they carry a heavier round in the winter with the idea being that a bullet will have to travel through more clothing. I'm not sure I really buy into all that

I have seen what a 9mm bullet does to a 2x4, melon, phonebook. No way am I believing a wintercoat and a sweatshirt stop a round at 10 or 15 feet, or less.

The clothing thing always cracks me up.

Shoot what your gun digests best and what goes where it is aimed.

I have seen what a 9mm bullet does to a 2x4, melon, phonebook. No way am I believing a wintercoat and a sweatshirt stop a round at 10 or 15 feet, or less.

The clothing thing always cracks me up.

Shoot what your gun digests best and what goes where it is aimed.

Mike I'm with you on this to a point, the thing with clothing is plugging up the cavity in a HP Bullet, there by limiting expansion, plus you never know whats under clothing.

Guest gw2and4

+1 on 124gr +P Gold Dots. Start there and test a few different types to see what shoots the best for you. The other two brands I have in the safe are Hornady 115gr Critical Defense and HydraShoks (not sure the grain). Whatever you choose, make sure they cycle reliably in your weapon. There are many differing opinions out there and I don't think we want to re-hash the same old tired caliber wars...so I'll just say this: as far as clothing or anything else clogging up the cavity in the projectile--can't always count on expansion in any caliber. Shot placement matters more. This white paper helped me think through a few of these issues and I think it's a decent read:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Best of luck.

Guest Todd@CIS

Of the rounds that you listed in your original post, I'd go with either the 147gr Gold Dots or Golden Sabers.

-Good penetration

-Reliable expansion...even from short barrels

-Low flash

-Lighter recoil in a sub-compact gun

Assuming 100% reliability with both, choose the one that is more accurate in your gun.

Check our CIS sub-forum for some good ammunition info.

Regards

There are literally millions of combinations of factors!

Vests (the ones on ebay can stop 9mm (thanks youtube idiots)), clothes thickness, tumbling, velocity, weight of the attacker, distance, bullet density, cold gun, hot gun....

My point is, any hollow point will take care of 99.9% of criminals trying to cause you harm. unless they have on a vest and you aim for center mass.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I guess I am odd man out here because I have the Horady CD rounds in all my 9mm's. But that is pretty much dictated by what has been available in my area.

I have only seen the Golden Sabers on the shelf once at the store and it was a day that I did not have the $$ to grab them, I dont recall the exact price but they were high.

Hydra Shocks and Gold Dots around here are like trying to find an honest and sane person in Congress......I havent seen any that stand out in quite awhile.

I did have one box of Hydra Shocks but a friend grabbed them up at the range by mistake and tested them all for me:rolleyes: they did work very well in his gun:rolleyes:

Also I only use a few stores here because once I am treated poorly I will not go back to a store, so there are two here that I will not ever go back into. And I also have yet to order ammo online, but I do think that time is getting closer. I like to support our local stores and we have a very new and small one I am really hoping makes a good go of it. So I am trying to at least pick up small things from him when I can.

But while I have several mags for each gun loaded with the CD's, I dont have any to back those up in the safe. So I do think it is time to use the internet to get some more "Good" defense rounds.

I also intend to pay more attention to our vendors here, I just completed a trade deal with Joe and JJ at Hero Gear and am anxiously awaiting my new tool. So I certainly will be paying more attention to our vendors.

And following yall's lead on what is best.;)

If you are going to order on the internet, prepare to order in bulk (at least a case). Otherwise, the shipping cost increases the cost per round tremendously.

Thanks to everyone who opined on the thread. I plan to take the 147gr Gold Dot out for a test next week (I was already leaning this direction).

Edited by gts
grammer

Thanks to everyone who opined on the thread. I plan to take the 147gr Gold Dot out for a test next week (I was already leaning this direction).

You probably won't find a 9mm round that an XD won't reliably eat.

The 115/124/147 grain debate is a long time ongoing one.

I've been convinced that the 124 grain +p HP is the sweet spot, but any weight quality hollowpoint should serve nicely for adequate self defense purposes.

I haven't looked in a while, but Georgia Ammo loaded the Gold Dot HP bullet in various weights for a good while. I stashed 500 of the 124 +p, but still have a small stash of the Golden Saber 124+p that I stoke all my 9mm pistols with currently.

- OS

I use 124gr+p GD in my P2000SK, and 147gr HST in my other 9mm's. Pick what works, as long as you can put it where it counts is all that matters. Looks like that 147gr GD is a great choice.