First LEO encounter while carrying

8:30-9:00 pm South Mississippi on I -55

I was headed down to LA for a job and was pulled over due to no lights on my trailer (yea I know but when you've got to go you've got to go). So the MHP pulls me over I hand him all my info along with my permit. He is standing there talking for 5 min or so then starts looking at my paperwork sees my permit and he ask if I'm carrying. I say yes and tell him where at. He takes posession of my weapon and takes it to his car and comes back and we continue our discussion. Once he decided not to give me a ticket he brought my weapon back asked me not to load the Mag until I was on the road and turned me loose. The MHP contiually appolgized for releivingme of my weapon and explained why he did it. All in all I was very impressed with the way that he handled the situation and VERY APPREICIATIVE THAT HE DID NOT WITH ME A TICKET EVEN THOUGH I WAS IN THE WRONG.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were still a policeman I would disarm you until I was ready to cut you loose too. I wouldn't know you from Adam, and it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd also be a heck of a lot more likely to let you go with a warning because you paid me the courtesy of informing me that you were armed.

Guest cheez
One could argue that someone, just by virtue of having a HCP, is more than likely a law-abiding citizen and very unlikely to commit a wanton act of violence on a police officer.

This is exactly what I have thought about while reading some of these posts. We as HCP holders have been checked out better than just about anyone the LEO's would ever encounter. Why would they have any insecurity problems with us?

This is exactly what I have thought about while reading some of these posts. We as HCP holders have been checked out better than just about anyone the LEO's would ever encounter. Why would they have any insecurity problems with us?

Oh, how about Lenny and his crap for example?

EDIT: I find it ironic when people say things like this, but when asked if they trust an HCP for gun handling around them it's always negative.

Edited by SWJewellTN
Guest 10mm4me
I can see it from there perspective dark night by yourself other guy has a gun and you don't know what he is into. I personly would want his gun too.

Well to me the policeman is the stranger on the dark night. I distrust a police officer as much as a drunk on a park bench.

:tinfoil:
Well to me the policeman is the stranger on the dark night. I distrust a police officer as much as a drunk on a park bench.

man those are harsh words:dropjaw:

I don't see any problem in the officer holding the gun during the stop however unloading the magazine seems a bit much. Better safe than sorry I guess though.

How did he go about getting your gun? Did he make you get out of the car while he retrieved it? Surely he didn't have you hand it to him. That seems more dangerous than just telling you not to touch the gun.

Glenn

Guest 10mm4me

They can't do this in Tn can they. You are not legally obligated to inform them u are carrying and therefore I would think they are not allowed to disarm u without some cause.

They can't do this in Tn can they. You are not legally obligated to inform them u are carrying and therefore I would think they are not allowed to disarm u without some cause.

No you don't have to inform but yes they can "secure" your weapon with no good reason.

Let me put it this way since you've already showed your hand where police officers are concerned: if you do not inform them that you are legally armed you most certainly will not like the way they disarm you if they discover that you have it. Gravel, grass, and dirt all taste like :poop:.

Guest Caveman
Let me put it this way since you've already showed your hand where police officers are concerned: if you do not inform them that you are legally armed you most certainly will not like the way they disarm you if they discover that you have it. Gravel, grass, and dirt all taste like :poop:.

Well if that is the case I hope he has lots of backup.

Are you saying that if one does not inform a LEO they are carrying a pistol with a HCP, which is not required under the law in Tennessee, then the LEO is going to slam them down on the ground to take their pistol when said LEO discovers they have a weapon?

Is this the tactic/attitude of other LEO's on this forum?

Guest Caveman
Tough talk doesn't impress. Go out, do it, and show me.

I'm not attempting to impress you or "talk :poop: over the internet," I am trying to make a point that If a cop wants to try to slam me and grind my face into the concrete because I DIDN'T break the law then I will not go down quietly. That's not me being tough, thats me believing in my rights as an American.