I may stir up a hornets nest

Glenn

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, if I didn't have work, I would be up till 2 or 3 everynight. I'm a night person, worked the night shift for 4 years until 2 years ago and liked it. I just can't get up at 6 after going to bed 4 hours ago like I did when I was in my 20's and 30's.

Heck back in the good ole days, we would drink in the O club till it shut down, stumble to the hooch and have a night cap and then go run PT at O dark thirty smelling like breweries or So Ju (Korea, ah the memories).

I could look at a beer today and get a headache. I'd probably puke running to the truck to avoid rain. Getting old sucks!!!

Guest Sgt. Joe
Faith, Hope and Charity.....most people can identify with those principles within themselves. He comes across to me as a man who greatly supports freedom and ones own responsibility. I believe he makes some good points and supports them with some good, relevant facts---who cares who gathers the information? To me he says in his own words that government is not the solution, but the problem and its that mindset that this country needs to come back too.

I can agree with all that. I catch him sometimes in the re-run later at night. He is good at what he does, which is turn news into entertainment just like O'reilly was good at in years gone by.

If I dont catch the show there never seems to be a shortage of You tubes of his show.

As for the Mormon thing.....So what? I am not one, I do not agree with their beliefs but I also have never known a poor one?

That kind of fiscal responsibility is what this country needs, but I think Romney is already too "in the loop ruined".

And who would not rather have a Mormon running our country over what we have now, which is someone whom we have no real clue is or what he really believes ?

Glen is OK by me, at least he speaks out for our side when most others simply riddicule anyone who does not care for the current direction we are going.

Guest mosinon
Beck is a narcissistic idiot who loves himself.

He cares little to nothing for this country.

Criticize me all you wish . . .

hey,I think you just described every pundit out there! I'd love to see the talk show hosts contract that was based on something more than ratings.

Guest nosnos

I'd wager that you guys don't know half what you think you do about Mormons. Not to hijack, but I'm embarrassed when people think they have something against Mormons. Freaking stupid... Mormons think more about their faith than any protestant I've ever met.

I watch his program when I spend time with my dad. My dad likes the drama and theatrics from the standpoint that he thinks it's funny, and sometimes it can be pretty funny. As far as I can tell the only blatant inaccuracy I've noticed in his talks is how he talks about the founding fathers being christian. Anyone who's done a significant amount of research on the founding fathers knows they were not christian, and I have no doubt that Beck knows this. I have no doubt that he merely refers to them as such to cater to his audience which everyone knows is right-wing and predominately christian and patriotic. Now, I'm not knocking any of those things, I'm not christian myself but the fact is simple that most right wing patriots are devout christians who think of the founding fathers the same way because their personal patriotism has been tied directly to their religious beliefs. "In God we trust", "One nation under God" and all those whatnots serve to support this. Again, not trying to knock it, just stating the facts.

I believe a few of the founding fathers were preechers, I will have to look it up in arguing with idiots:rolleyes: not that I would argue with you but the facts are there and this country was founded on christian values.

Guest mosinon
I believe a few of the founding fathers were preechers, I will have to look it up in arguing with idiots:rolleyes: not that I would argue with you but the facts are there and this country was founded on christian values.

I don't know how many preachers there were but the Christian values thing is untrue. You have to remember that the US was rebelling against the british who had a national religion. That religion happened to be a christian religion and the US was, predictably, against anything british.

So just because many of the founding fathers were religious thinking that they wanted a christian nation is specious. What they wanted was a place where religion wasn't foisted in them by the government.

This is probably best illustrated by the treaty of tripoli:

"Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

John Adams signed that. They may have been christian in belief but they weren't christian in government.

...but the fact is simple that most right wing patriots are devout christians who think of the founding fathers the same way because their personal patriotism has been tied directly to their religious beliefs. ...
I don't know how many preachers there were but the Christian values thing is untrue. ...

I think it's fair to say that while the majority of the original signers of the Declaration had a Christian affiliation, the Declaration itself and the Constitution later certainly did not espouse Christianity as a guiding principle or model. Certainly, if that had been the intent, you'd find "Christian" and/or "Jesus" or "Christ" in there somewhere rather than the more general "God" and "Creator".

Of course, some of the most famous of the bunch, Jefferson, Franklin, can only fairly be described as Deists, but about 2/3 or so of both the original Declaration of Independence signers and later the delegates that framed the actual Constitution did claim Christian affiliation or one kind or another.

Here's about as succinct summation of the 74 delegates to the 1787 convention that I've found (on Wiki):

"Lambert (2003) has examined the religious affiliations and beliefs of the Founders. Some of the 1787 delegates had no affiliation. The others were Protestants except for three Roman Catholics: C. Carroll, D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons. Among the Protestant delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 28 were Church of England (Episcopalian, after the Revolutionary War was won), eight were Presbyterians, seven were Congregationalists, two were Lutherans, two were Dutch Reformed, and two were Methodists, the total number being 49. Some of the more prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical or vocal about their opposition to organized religion, such as Thomas Jefferson (who created the "Jefferson Bible"), and Benjamin Franklin. However, other notable founders, such as Patrick Henry, were strong proponents of traditional religion. Several of the Founding Fathers considered themselves to be deists or held beliefs very similar to that of deists."

I don't know how many were preechers. :)

- OS

Guest 6.8 AR

I guess you either love him or hate him, like everything else. The only thing I could ever think to complain about his show is so many commercials, but that is a necessary evil.

It is very interesting that some of you dislike him because of his faith in the Mormon church. I just don't understand that. Every Mormon I have ever known has shown to be an upstanding member in the community and shows good character and family values. Each to his own, that's fine.

Those people that don't like the Beck's/ Hannity's/ Limbaugh's of the world evidently

don't like the genre, in general. I think they are informative and entertaining and tend to get an opposing view to the mainstream media's liberal bias. We're all individuals and can think for ourselves. No problem.

I will say i have learned some tidbits on Beck's show that I would have never heard

anywhere else. I guess you figure out for yourself that I like Beck. I didn't understand that narcissism statement about him. I've never seen an illusion of him staring into the pool.

from my daily Radio Info email...

img_glenbeck.jpgGlenn Beck hauled in $32 million last year, says Forbes.

Despite the fame/notoriety of his Fox TV show (recently parodied by Jon Stewart on the Daily Show), radio pays a lot more than Fox. Forbes figures that Fox News Channel paid Beck $4 million in 2009. His radio deal with Premiere netted him about $10 million. (Does that include all the endorsement commercials, etc.? Hard to tell.) Publishing makes Glenn even more lucre, and remember that Glenn sees himself at the center of busy media empire through his Mercury Radio Arts. Forbes says publishing made Beck $13 million last year. He did another $4 million from digital/online. And he banked an amazing $3 million from paid appearances. Forbes quotes Mercury president Chris Balfe – “we have 400 radio stations, we could have 500. We sold three million books last year; we could try to sell 4-5 million. We have five million (monthly unique visitors) to GlennBeck.com; we could have 10 million.”

He's an annoying self-aggrandising twit. Any truth that leaves his mouth is overshadowed by the incredibly stupid presentation. He's even more annoying than Keith Olbermann.

No way. Too far, no one is as annoying as Olbermann. That is the one person that I have never actually met and I still would love to punch him square in the jaw. I can not stand Olbermann.

He's an annoying self-aggrandising twit. Any truth that leaves his mouth is overshadowed by the incredibly stupid presentation. He's even more annoying than Keith Olbermann.

Oh man, not by a long shot - Olbermann is the king of idiots.

Guest clsutton21
I'd wager that you guys don't know half what you think you do about Mormons. Not to hijack, but I'm embarrassed when people think they have something against Mormons. Freaking stupid... Mormons think more about their faith than any protestant I've ever met.

This is all I need to know.

YouTube - The Story of Joseph Smith

Edited by clsutton21

Yeah I learned how to take care of my personal finances from South Park too! Great source for life skills there.

Can I borrow a grand from someone? I'm a little behind on my crack payments.

(next week's episode will be on hand gun safety! You all should check it out!)

My input:

Beck is worthless...as are all the other pundits.

Also:

About the Mormon comment: kinda inappropriate, but I personally think all of the religions are stupid, some moreso than others, but there is something to be said for standing up for what you believe in. I don't think I've ever met a halfassed Mormon, and they are all unnaturally nice.

About the responses I thought I would get, except for the Mormon hate and the "stupid people watch him". Personally I like Beck. I find him much less annoying than Rush or O'reilly and he talks about things that very few others dare to say.

I can't stand Jon Stewart or South Park

Glenn

Guest dart67eb
Don't get me wrong, if I didn't have work, I would be up till 2 or 3 everynight. I'm a night person, worked the night shift for 4 years until 2 years ago and liked it. I just can't get up at 6 after going to bed 4 hours ago like I did when I was in my 20's and 30's.

Heck back in the good ole days, we would drink in the O club till it shut down, stumble to the hooch and have a night cap and then go run PT at O dark thirty smelling like breweries or So Ju (Korea, ah the memories).

I could look at a beer today and get a headache. I'd probably puke running to the truck to avoid rain. Getting old sucks!!!

I was in Tongduchon in 82-83. Sounds like that's where you were.

Guest clsutton21
About the responses I thought I would get, except for the Mormon hate and the "stupid people watch him". Personally I like Beck. I find him much less annoying than Rush or O'reilly and he talks about things that very few others dare to say.

I can't stand Jon Stewart or South Park

Glenn

It's because you're too old.