Mercy Killing

Guest TCW

Let's say that you just hit an animal with your car or that you come upon an animal that has been hit by another car. As a legal ccw permit holder you have a pistol with you.

The beast is lying on the asphalt. It's clear the animal is in agony and will die soon.

What would you do? How?

Tom

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you could run over it again.

I mean, really. Run over its head, whatever it is.

I was talking to a county LEO up at the Norris range about a month ago, got onto that subject talking about a Cold Steel SRK knife he had ... he said he had used it on duty to finish off a deer or two because of the paperwork nightmare he'd have to go through if he discharged a round from his service gun.

- OS

All good answers. I know we are to use our guns ONLY in situitions that threaten our life.

I hit a deer (doe) on the interstate. I knocked her off into the woods. Of course there was no place to turn around to check on her.

If I could have gotten to her I would have shot her if she were suffering and dieing. I don't have a hunting permit. I just hate the thought of her dieing an agonizing death. Yes, I love animals.

Tom

About thirty years ago, Fl resident, I severely injured a dog. It was way out in the country, slowed down, the damn dog crossed the road, I thought I was safe and then then he came right back into the road but I had not slowed enough. The poor critter laid there looking up at me, blood running from his mouth and his rear quarters mangled. No permit, remember, this was thirty years ago but I had the gun under the front seat. One of the hardest things I've ever done as an animal lover. Played on my mind for a long time.

In my mind there would be the exception to put the animal out of its misery, politically correct and to the letter of the law or not. Same scenareo today would meet with the same action. A gun is a tool.

oldogy

Edited by oldogy

A friend hit a deer several years ago with his whole family in the mini-van. The deer was audibly suffering and his daughters were quite upset by it. While he was looking for a big rock with which to finish it off, another driver arrived who had a handgun and shot the deer. The officer who worked the wreck (the mini-van was not driveable) saw the gunshot wound and asked who shot it. The man admitted he did. My friend added that the animal was suffering and asked him to kill it because his kids were so upset. The cop asked if he had a hunting license (not deer season) and he said yes. The cop said, ok, you can go.

Guest 270win

A 22 pistol is the perfect weapon for putting animals down without making a lot of noise. Not all of us keep one in the car for that purpose.

I know out in the country and if safe to do so I'd probably just finish the animal off....especially something like a stray dog that I cannot locate the owner.

A game animal I'd be careful....because I'd be worried more about a game violation..especially shooting a deer out of season or at night. A call to the game warden would be a good idea before finishing a deer off.

In town you'd have to be real careful if you shot...or maybe use a hunting knife.

I'm really glad you posted this thread because this exact thing happened to me last week. Leaving work, headed down middlebrook pike my co-worker hit a dog. I stopped to help her because she was very upset.

When I got to the dog he was still breathing but obviously very very bad off. I called 911 to ask if I was allowed to put the dog out of its misery. Before I got an answer I was disconnected.

Just a minute or so later the dog passed away, I pulled him to the side of the rode and called the phone number on the tag, the owners dad showed up and I helped him load it into his car.

I would say that it it's the city limits it's probably best not to discharge a gun, I'm glad I didn't have to.

Now the creepy part, found out the next day that the dog was a friend of mines. Talk about a small world. She was really glad I called.

My advice would be to call the Sheriff's department or city PD and let them know what happened. Inform them that the animal is suffering and that you are a valid Carry Permit holder and have the means to end the poor animal's suffering and what you should do. If you have the option to record the conversation on your phone do that too.

If you have the game warden/county animal control in your phone - note to self to look it up and put it in my contacts - call them too and ask them.

I hate seeing an animal suffer but if it comes down to the animal suffering or me losing my permit/firearm/freedom over dispatching a dying animal, the animal will suffer.

A 22 pistol is the perfect weapon for putting animals down without making a lot of noise. .

I could be wrong but it seems to be that a .22 could possible only further cause pain to an animal without killing it. Shot placement would have to be perfect.

I could be wrong but it seems to be that a .22 could possible only further cause pain to an animal without killing it. Shot placement would have to be perfect.

At point blank range such as we are discussing here, the 22 is quite lethal on all but the largest animal. My granddad used the 22 to kill many hogs and cattle.....point blank between the eyes.

oldogy

At point blank range such as we are discussing here, the 22 is quite lethal on all but the largest animal. My granddad used the 22 to kill many hogs and cattle.....point blank between the eyes.

oldogy

You can have more than one try, too. It's not like the critter is wildly running around.

- OS

oldogy

I know of at least two cases (one in Memphis and one in Nashville) where people were shot PB with a .22 in the forehead and it ricocheted leaving only minor contusions. The one in Memphis was a gas station attendant and he said when the guy shot him and it ricocheted the perp crapped his pants and ran away. :D

Back on topic, I won't discharge my firearm in city limits without authorization. Just not worth the hassle.:hiding:

I know of at least two cases (one in Memphis and one in Nashville) where people were shot PB with a .22 in the forehead and it ricocheted leaving only minor contusions. The one in Memphis was a gas station attendant and he said when the guy shot him and it ricocheted the perp crapped his pants and ran away. :D

Back on topic, I won't discharge my firearm in city limits without authorization. Just not worth the hassle.:hiding:

I know a few that could survive it as well :D

Guest proudsuthrner

i have a cousin who, about five or six years ago, had to put down her simese cat bc of health reason and it was about his time. at least that is what she believed. so she took him down to the woods along with a 22. as for myself, i did not go down there to witness. but aparently it took like four shots to get the job done. maybe either she missed a few times, or that cat had a thick skull. anyhow, that is the only thing i can come up with about putting animals out of their misery

i have a cousin who, about five or six years ago, had to put down her simese cat bc of health reason and it was about his time. at least that is what she believed. so she took him down to the woods along with a 22. as for myself, i did not go down there to witness. but aparently it took like four shots to get the job done. maybe either she missed a few times, or that cat had a thick skull. anyhow, that is the only thing i can come up with about putting animals out of their misery

damn, why not just take the thing to the vet. Sounds like she did more harm than good.

Several years ago, I had my two then teenage boys in the car on the way to a lake when a rabbit ran in front of the car. I hit the brakes and swerved, but unfortunately still hit the little guy.

My kids were slightly shocked to realize I hit him. I looked in the rearview and saw him flopping around on the pavement, obviously in distress and going to die. I had to think fast on what to do, so I put the car in reverse and ran him over again. This time it finished him off.

Of course the kids were stunned at what I did, and still tease me about being a rabbit killer. :hiding:

Guest milkman

I picked up a copy of "AR Rifleman" at kroger a couple of weeks ago, in the magazine was an article about TWRA Game Wardens using supressed .300 Whisper AR's for Hog Hunting, the same article mentioned that many wardens carry supressed .22 pistols to put down suffering animals on the side of the road.

Guest Bluemax

All I will say is that if I was a situation that an animal was suffering and there was no hope that it could recover, I wouldn't walk away without seeing the situation resolved one way or the other.