What is the Best Knife you have ever owned?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fourspdRAT

I guess that depends. There's a few knives that I could never get rid of because they were my grandfathers' knives. As far as a carry knife goes, I love my cheap S&W HRT folder. It cuts, prys, screws, it's easy to clean and if it ever breaks, I'm out $10.

Guest Plainsman

I've carried a SOG Twitch II for sometime now, and its done what I've asked of it. I've got lots of different knives, so they don't all get put through the paces of daily carry. I can also put in a good word for my CRKT M16 as well.

I guess that depends. There's a few knives that I could never get rid of because they were my grandfathers' knives. As far as a carry knife goes, I love my cheap S&W HRT folder. It cuts, prys, screws, it's easy to clean and if it ever breaks, I'm out $10.

Not sure which model of S&W knife I have in there, but I've got one that was given to me years ago that I use to carry when I worked in the warehouse. Out of all the knives that I wore out during that time, I never wore out the S&W. Cut boxes every single day, and used the blade to pull the big staples out of alot of those, and the blade never seemed to dull. Used it as a pry bar here and there, and never bent or broke the blade.

It's one of my cheapest, and if I had to say which one was the best it's probably the one I would pick.

I've got an old Winchester Cattle knife with bone handles. The springs are still as stiff as new. The blades are sharp as a doctor's scalpel. It has to be the highest quality I've ever seen in a knife.

I love those Old Winchester knives

I"m not sure if this counts as a knife but i love my leatherman wave, holds an edge for a very long time and I've never had a more useful tool in such a small package.

My best folder would be my Case Sod Buster, my best fixed blade might come as a surprise to you guys but its one of those Winchester knives they sell at Xmas, mines a 2008 model and i know they are cheap (about $20 for a three knife set) but i have never had a fixed blade that was so durable for the price, it cuts through cardboard, thin metal straps, thick plastic, rope, anything that i wouldn't use my wave blade on i use this bad boy on and it never breaks or bends.

I havent had a lot of great knives, but i have had good luck with cheap knives.

I had a promo knive from my Dads job about 20 years ago. It looked like a traditional buck folder. It had a carbon blade that had the best edge ever. It would hold the edge for ever. Ugly knife but damn it was a good knife.

My current pocket knife is a Gerber stainless skeleton type knife with a 2 inch blade. I got it as a stockin stuffer 3 years ago. I wasn't excited about it. It set for a year. I needed another knife one day and took it. It has been with me everyday for 2 years. It sturdy. Been run over by a truck, 3-4 times, dropped, chemicals, etc. I left my skinning knife at home last year and had to clean and process a deer with this gerber. It never missed a beat. It keeps an edge.

My 6" Colt / United Cutlery has been a very good knife.

I like my CRKT Triumph N.E.C.K.

My fav has to be my Paw Paw's old Case tri folder with bone handles.

Edited by gotigers
Guest crotalus01

My Ranger OTF switchblade. Got it on sale for $36 figuring it was gonna be a slight cut above the OTF crap sold in Mexico - boy was I wrong. The spring is very strong, the button pressure is fairly light, and the blade locks in tighter than any OTF I have seen except the $300+ models by Benchmade. Add a sturdy pocket clip capped by a glassbreaker and you have an excelent knife for the price. Only drawback is the questionable legality of carrying a switchblade, although I have had several LEOs tell me they wouldnt bother an HCP holder for it unless they were looking to bust them for something else...

Edited by crotalus01

After having it for a day and half, I have to say that my Halo 5 is built better, finished better and more solid than any other knife I have ever owned, these are worth their hefty asking prices this is definitely the Best I have ever owned

Edited by willis68

I used to make leather knife sheaths for a fella and got to handle a lot of knives. I also bought, sold and traded a lot of them. I fiddled and fooled with so many "good" knives I became bamboozled by all the marketing. My most useful knives are pictured: Swiss Army (don't know the model) but I took the spine Phillips head screwdriver and ground it down so that I could punch out gun pins, primarily on Glocks. I carry that one all the time. The other one pictured is one I designed and a fella made it for me. The only things I would change on my design is add 3/4" or 1" to the blade and make a bit of belly on the edge. Another inch would make it even more useful for kitchen chores. The knife is tapered full tang with red spacers between the canvas micarta, blade is 440C. I have a few other specialty knives but the most useful knives at a good price I have come across are Helle laminate steel knives from here: Helle Knives from Ragnar

This is the fella that made my knife to my specs:

Hunting knives and skinners. Cleveland, GA

Twoknives.jpg

Guest bart_p

Currently the best knife I have ever owned is the RAT/ESEE RC-5 SERE knife. I have it with the kydex sheath and have since added the front pouch and molle back. It is very well made and ridiculously overbuilt. I use it extensively when I get out in the woods on my adventures/survival treks. It hasn't failed me and it is easy to sharpen. No BS lifetime guarantee for the win!

Bart

Hmmmm tough one...

Under $500, probably my Boker Magnum Camp bowie

2953.jpg

Over $500, a one off built to my own specs by ABS Journeyman Smith (& really good buddy) Karl Andersen

rph6.jpg

rphA-1.jpg

Foldy-wise, I couldn't choose! I have several that I'll never part with, all for different reasons, but all are equally good quality. (Check out the EDC thread)

Edited by robtattoo
Guest mtsumatt
I can also put in a good word for my CRKT M16 as well.

I second the CRKT M16. My absolute favorite knife. Since it's carbon fiber it doesn't weigh anything. My blade actually says M16-00F by Carson Design. I'd love to find another one of these, but haven't been able to.