Looking for a carry pistol for the wife.

Kelemvor

Hey Guys,

I've concinced my wife to let me get her a carry pistol and a permit for my birthday. That's right, my birthday. We've been to a few stores and figured out what she'd be comfortable carrying. We've pretty much settled on a .380 (the smallest caliber I'd let her carry) and she likes the LCP and the TCP.

My understanding is that the TCP has a last shot slide stop, second strike capability, and ships with an additional mag, which the LCP does not. However, I've heard about reliability issues with Taurus products.

What are your thoughts on each of these and do any of you have an LCP/TCP that you'd be willing to let my wife try (you'd be welcome to throw some lead down range out of my CZ-75BD)?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Have you ruled out the SIG P238 or new Smith & Wesson Bodyguard? I loved my P238 but you wife may not like carrying it cocked and locked.

The new Bodyguard's supposed to be a decent little gun, has a built in laser (I believe by Insight)

Guest 10mm4me

Do not get your wife a little pocket .380 for self dense. She needs something with at least a G26 size grip, decent sights, and a decent sight radius. The pocket .380's possess none of these qualities NEEDED in a good defensive handgun. They are good only as a "gut buster". Their tiny magwells make reloads under stress near impossible. Since she does not already have an HCP/Carry Gun, I will assume she is not an experienced shooter. If she needed the gun, she will need every advantage she can get. Do her a favor, spend a little more $$$ and get a G26, Sig 239, XDsc, or similar gun in terms of size and quality. As far as second strike capability, that is worthless and detracts from what you should do, Tap, Rack, Bang, Immediate action. Relying on that second strike capability will get someone killed someday.

I highly recommend the Wilber NightBat Kustom

BTW, I can't afford the NightBat, so I have the LCP. Have a bunch of other pistols in bigger calibers, but have been very happy with my LCP purchase. haven't fondled the taurus, but did look at the bersa and a couple others. The TCP wasn't out when I bought.

Edited by mikegideon

There have been several recent threads on this topic. First, she needs to shoot the gun before buying it. Pocket guns can be unpleasant to shoot. Best of my knowledge, most all the .380's can have some reliability issues. Some break-in and or minor mod's may be necessary before it'll work well.

Would your wife carry a second magazine that is immediately accessible? If not, the hold open is moot.

Second Strike I guess is a good feature I guess; it’s planning for failure.

I would take a Ruger over a Taurus any day, but I wouldn’t want my wife carrying a .380 unless that’s all she could handle.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Do not get your wife a little pocket .380 for self dense. She needs something with at least a G26 size grip, decent sights, and a decent sight radius. The pocket .380's possess none of these qualities NEEDED in a good defensive handgun. They are good only as a "gut buster". Their tiny magwells make reloads under stress near impossible. Since she does not already have an HCP/Carry Gun, I will assume she is not an experienced shooter. If she needed the gun, she will need every advantage she can get. Do her a favor, spend a little more $$$ and get a G26, Sig 239, XDsc, or similar gun in terms of size and quality. As far as second strike capability, that is worthless and detracts from what you should do, Tap, Rack, Bang, Immediate action. Relying on that second strike capability will get someone killed someday.

I'd like to make her walk around with a Mossberg Road Blocker, but the fact is, she is a slim girl and not only would she not be able to conceal a G26, but she wouldn't like to look lumpy and frumpy either. I want to get her something that she will actually carry (accessible and not buried in her purse), because even the Road Blocker wouldn't do her any good if it just sat on the nightstand. I don't plan on letting her go anywhere that she would be under siege by hordes of 300lb crackheads, so I'm comfortable with her having a .380 that she will be able to handle to "gut bust" any rapist or mugger that confronts her when she is away from the house or me.

Guest RevScottie
I highly recommend the Wilber NightBat Kustom

Wouldn't the Wilber NightBat Kustom Kompact be a better choice for CCW?

Would your wife carry a second magazine that is immediately accessible? If not, the hold open is moot.

Second Strike I guess is a good feature I guess; it’s planning for failure.

I would take a Ruger over a Taurus any day, but I wouldn’t want my wife carrying a .380 unless that’s all she could handle.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Second strike is probably moot on an LCP as well. If it fails, the odds are in favor of a jam, not failure to fire.

Remember, women don't think like us guys. If the gun is too this or that, they will not carry at all, Period! And there it will sit on the night stand. Things like racking the slide can be a issue, afraid it will pinch them. I haven't owned a revolver in years but can be a place to start. And can't say enough about practice, practice, practice. Become very familiar with it, frequently. I purchased a Walther P22 only to make it fun and to run thru self-defense drills. That has worked great. The wife will go thru 100+ rounds while I just play coach and take care of the targets (private property range).

Good luck.

Guest RevScottie
The NightBat dosen’t come in a Kompact; the Wombat does through.

I'm going to be saving my money for the new Ted Nugent Kustom Edition Wango Tango Wombat Kombat :)

Back to the OP is a KelTec PF9 too large for the intended purpose? It's in the same price range and I would guess recoil is similar but it shoots the larger/cheaper/more plentiful 9mm.

if your set on a 380 then the LCP is the gun, PLEASE stay away from the TCP... Simply put its junk, weve already had to send three back to taurus this year.

We have the LCP's in stock with the engraved slide and chrome slide... I think your wife would like them both.

That being said most ladies that go thru our class and really carry... includeing my wife... wind up with a 2in snub revolver.... Pink/Black gripped S&W 642, Ruger LCR, or the Pink Charter arms.

Give me a call if you need help.

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER

The LCP is a very good pistol for what it is. My little sister has carried a Colt snubbie for years, and her eyes lit up when she handled my LCP.

Revolvers are real reliable, but they're too lumpy for a small girl. Note that if I tried to demand that she get an LCP, she would most likely shoot me with her Colt. :) It has to be her choice all the way.

I would vote to KISS for the non gun enthusiast and go with a small lightweight carry revolver. Weigh the advantage of a close range point and shoot with great probablility of reliability vs her being in an extended gun battle requireing mag changes. Smith J frame or Ruger LCR come to mind. They are not fun range guns but if she ever has to use it she'll never feel the recoil. JMO,

If and when she gets comfortable with a revolver move her into a semiautomatic.

oldogy, whose bride carries an LCR with CT grips.

The slide issue for the wife is the strength needed to pull it back. By cocking the P238 there is less tension and the wife can pull it back easier. I also gave her a P239 in 40 with a rainbow finish for when she can carry a larger pistol because the G27 gave her the same problem and she did not want to practice to strengthen her pull! She is happy with both Sigs but I have not got the laser sights for her as yet!

I would vote to KISS for the non gun enthusiast and go with a small lightweight carry revolver. Weigh the advantage of a close range point and shoot with great probablility of reliability vs her being in an extended gun battle requireing mag changes. Smith J frame or Ruger LCR come to mind. They are not fun range guns but if she ever has to use it she'll never feel the recoil. JMO,

If and when she gets comfortable with a revolver move her into a semiautomatic.

oldogy, whose bride carries an LCR with CT grips.

That's the best answer so far, IMHO. And, the .38 will give her superior firepower over the .380, especially if she can manage the recoil on +P loads.