Looking for a carry pistol for the wife.

Kelemvor

"Are you gonna skin that smoke wagon?" If you could convince her to get a revolver to start with and then a semi-auto when she gets comfortable handling and shooting pistols, that's what I would recommend. My favorite carry gun is a S&W Chief's Special. It has a very smooth DA trigger. I carry a speed loader with me but reloading can be awkward. Good luck Get her a good'in.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

I will attempt to keep a long story short. I went through this selection process with my wife. I purchased the TCP for her. She shot it & hated it. Too much recoil and she did not like the DA trigger even though it was smooth. Sold the TCP & purchased the Ruger LCR. She did not like this either.Too much recoil. Traded it for a Glock 26 which she can handle and carry. I would strongly suggest taking your wife to a range where you can rent/shoot the guns before you buy them. It sure would have been nice but there's not a range of this type in my area.

I will attempt to keep a long story short. I went through this selection process with my wife. I purchased the TCP for her. She shot it & hated it. Too much recoil and she did not like the DA trigger even though it was smooth. Sold the TCP & purchased the Ruger LCR. She did not like this either.Too much recoil. Traded it for a Glock 26 which she can handle and carry. I would strongly suggest taking your wife to a range where you can rent/shoot the guns before you buy them. It sure would have been nice but there's not a range of this type in my area.

a little boot camp......I bought the wife a Taurus85.....We headed to the range with 100 rounds of +p ammo for proper break-in - She was very excited to own her first CC gun......after about 40 rounds she threw in the towel and complained for 2 days how much her hand hurt....She now has a full understanding of what recoil is :)

Do not get your wife a little pocket .380 for self dense. She needs something with at least a G26 size grip, decent sights, and a decent sight radius. The pocket .380's possess none of these qualities NEEDED in a good defensive handgun. They are good only as a "gut buster". Their tiny magwells make reloads under stress near impossible. Since she does not already have an HCP/Carry Gun, I will assume she is not an experienced shooter. If she needed the gun, she will need every advantage she can get. Do her a favor, spend a little more $$$ and get a G26, Sig 239, XDsc, or similar gun in terms of size and quality. As far as second strike capability, that is worthless and detracts from what you should do, Tap, Rack, Bang, Immediate action. Relying on that second strike capability will get someone killed someday.

+1. I have an LCP and a G26 but I almost always carry the 26 for the reasons stated above. I don't consider the LCP a primary carry gun. It is great however, for those instances when your clothing might not otherwise let you carry concealed.

Edited by JReedEsq
The slide issue for the wife is the strength needed to pull it back. By cocking the P238 there is less tension and the wife can pull it back easier. I also gave her a P239 in 40 with a rainbow finish for when she can carry a larger pistol because the G27 gave her the same problem and she did not want to practice to strengthen her pull! She is happy with both Sigs but I have not got the laser sights for her as yet!

Racking the slide is easy when you do it this way.... Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

My wife can rack the slide on my subcompact .45 relatively easily using this method. Most women I've talked to about it are "afraid they'll hurt the gun". So they try to pull the slide back slowly. Once they're convinced they won't (can't) hurt it and drive the gun forward aggressively, they'll say... "oh, that was easy." When done properly, the whole motion occurs in a blink.

• Moderators

As has been stated multiple times, let her pick out the gun she wants to carry. I made that mistake and now am in a position of taking the $ hit on selling a gun the wife doesn't like. Luckily my wife wants to go larger rather than smaller, but even if the opposite was the case, a .22 carried is still better than the .45 or 9mm not carried.

Guest kdud03

my wife has a raspberry lcp an loves it. it is a little hard on the wrist but hey its for protection not shooting 10,000 rounds a year

I actually like it when guys try and pick out a gun for their wives/gf's, since it seems that more times than not it ends up back at the local gun shop at a good price. That's how I found my SP101. A husband with good intentions thought he would buy it for his wife for her to carry. She had other plans (had no intention of carrying a gun) and made him sell it, so I found it and got a good deal on it.

Went through this with the wife. SHE selected a Taurus 709 Slim ... said it fit her hand better than anything else she'd tried. As long as it functions flawlessly, she's good. (Trouble with the slide, as noted in this thread ... and others ... is her major problem with ANY semi.) Another issue (although minor) is that while she hits the paper, she's all over the place with this 9mm. And she is normally a decent shot. (BTW, I can't get a decent group with this 709 either ... maybe the small, narrow grips?)

I came home with a S&W 637 Airweight -- which has both pink and black grips. After shooting it, she now claims it. Still hasn't given up her 709, but it sits on the nightstand. She carries the .38. With the black grips. Says that she wants it to look "intimidating," not "cute." And she shoots better with the .38 than the 9mm and its simplicity in use is far better, IMHO, for her.

First rule in selecting her weapon: it has to be HER choice. And don't be discouraged if that choice changes.

Wifey is slim but curvy. It hides well in an IWB holster (with a light jacket) or in a bellyband carried between her boobs --- I did say she was curvy, didn't I?

Bottom line: she can handle recoil from the 9 or the .38. She selected the 9 and likes it. But she carries that little 5-shot .38 daily. Just saying.

Hope this helps.

I agree that an airweight or ultra-lite .38 revolver would probably be the best for her. They are so easy to carry and work wonderfully in a belly band, or any other method of carry for that matter. If any semi-auto jams on an inexperienced shooter in a life or death situation, more likely than not, they are in serious trouble. Lightweight revolvers are super reliable, extremely easy to operate and a pleasure to carry.

That being said, if you do decide to go with a semi-auto, you really should look at a Kahr PM9 or a KelTec PF9. Either one is not very much larger than a .380 and will be more pleasurable to practice with and give her a lot more stopping power than a .380. :rock:

Edited by PackinMama

+1 on revolvers and S&W in general. If she has little or no experience with handguns this is exactly where to start. I also recommend something that is hammer-less. Almost a zero chance of malfunctions, ease of learning, and the ability to fire while still concealed in a pocket or other garment/purse makes it a great weapon. Besides, if she later wants to move up to an auto, you can carry it.

I agree that an airweight or ultra-lite .38 revolver would probably be the best for her. They are so easy to carry and work wonderfully in a belly band, or any other method of carry for that matter. If any semi-auto jams on an inexperienced shooter in a life or death situation, more likely than not, they are in serious trouble. Lightweight revolvers are super reliable, extremely easy to operate and a pleasure to carry.

That being said, if you do decide to go with a semi-auto, you really should look at a Kahr PM9 or a KelTec PF9. Either one is not very much larger than a .380 and will be more pleasurable to practice with and give her a lot more stopping power than a .380. :)

The airweights are nice to carry, but they're real snappy. Worse than an LCP. I won't even ask my girlfriend to shoot my 637, and she handles my 1911 just fine. There's something to be said for a steel frame.

My wife and I just went to tri cities gun depot yesterday and picked up a Bersa Thunder 380 Concealed Carry model which has the smaller hammer, 8 round mag, and low profile sights. We haven't took it to shoot yet but it is a neat little gun. She handled the Ruger LCP, the Thunder CC, and a normal Thunder and she liked the CC the best. The LCP just didn't have enough grip for her. I read up some on the Bersas before we went and I'm glad that's what we came home with. It is priced in the same range as the LCP, and out the door price was just over $300. May be worth letting your wife check them out.

Here's some comparison pics with my S&W and my xd sub compact. It is generally the same size as both, but the CC is thinner.

0613101923.jpg

0612101800.jpg

0612101800a.jpg

The airweights are nice to carry, but they're real snappy. Worse than an LCP. I won't even ask my girlfriend to shoot my 637, and she handles my 1911 just fine. There's something to be said for a steel frame.

Definitely have her shoot an airweight before buying. My wife loved the feel of it, then rented one and hated it. She had a blister forming in the web between her thumb and forefinger after 15 rds. She said she'd rather shoot my subcompact .45.

Guest bersalady

Here's the voice of a women in a simular situation... Hubby bought me a Bersa Thunder 380. I did help pick it but really had no idea what I was doing and only saw it online. I basically asked a few questions and made decision based on looks. I love it. It is pretty and can shot it ok. But I have trouble with the slide. I can handle the recoil and it has had jamming problems. It could still need some break-in but it is not something I can feel comfortable to carry. Partly because of size, partly confidence.

Hubby has asked me about several different guns to replace this gun. I can't seem to get through to him that I don't want to spend anymore money on a gun for me unless I can hold it my hand and preferably shoot it. He wants me to take his XD subcompact so he can get something else and I would have more firepower. I am not opposed but I still think I need something small that a can rack everytime no issues. (which I can rack his XD better than the bersa - it is to slick)

I think maybe the only way I will be confident to carry is either a revolver or a finding the gun I can work everytime and no jams! I told him before we got our permits I will only carry if I can be 100% confident about it.

So my suggestion... let her decide or maybe even rent one a few times before you buy one. I like my Bersa but now I have a gun that is really more for the range. Unless one of you guys want to buy it for your wife without aksing them first!

PS. For most women the way the gun looks and how we carry it are important factors instead of things like caliber, slide etc --- that's where we need you guys to keep us on track. I would just buy the pink 22 but hubby says no way.

Don't they say marriage is a compromise!

I think maybe the only way I will be confident to carry is either a revolver or a finding the gun I can work everytime and no jams! I told him before we got our permits I will only carry if I can be 100% confident about it.

I don’t think you will find a reliable mouse gun at any price, even in full-size and compacts that kind of reliability is hard to find.

I would suggest a Smith & Wesson J-frame revolver. They are reliable, no slide to mess with, hundreds of different grips available, maximum concealability, and you can shoot 38 or .357Mag.

Have you tried one of those?

Guest bersalady

I am considering a revolver but I am not spending any more money on guns for a little while. Hubby just got himself a XD 45 compact for himself. I am going to work with the XD 9mm for now. I like it but I think long term it's a bit big for cc.

Thanks...

As has been stated multiple times, let her pick out the gun she wants to carry. I made that mistake and now am in a position of taking the $ hit on selling a gun the wife doesn't like.

Ain't that the truth... I went through the gambit of arming the wife only to cost me more money in the end.

I bought her a Bersa Thunder 380 and she carried it and liked to shoot it until it would close the slide when you insert a magazine. The slide stop also broke some time later and I deemed not suitable for self defense. Then I bought and sold...Geez, lets see:

Ruger SP101 in .357

XD-9

Taurus 66

...Sold for a loss 'cause she didn't like something about them.

Glock 19 (Kept that one for myself)

and finally bought her a S&W 386 Night Guard revolver in .357.

Edited by LA_357SIG
Guest bersalady

Hey..

I bought her a Bersa Thunder 380 and she carried it and liked to shoot it until it would close the slide when you insert a magazine. The slide stop also broke some time later and I deemed not suitable for self defense. Then I bought and sold...Geez, lets see:

That is what my Bersa is doing and hubby now wants to take it from me. I haven't been shooting long and last time we practiced, I kept ejecting a round and he didn't understand why until he watched me and then explained. I would have the slide back insert the magazine and it would shut at the same time. Of course since it was shut before I fired and I didn't release it I kept thinking I should rack it. Of course the loaded bullet would eject.

I finally realized what was happening. When you insert the magazine with any force the silde closes.

My Bersa it almost brand new less than say 300 rounds. Lots of Jams also. Hubby has decided I just need something else. I think so because I do have a hard time racking the slide.

I thought maybe it was me. However, I shot his XD 9mm today about 100 rounds no problems. Well other than I think my arms will be sore in the morning.

Any opinions on a Sig P238? I looked at one today and it was very easy to rack and felt great. I didn't get to shoot it but I really liked it. But it is high $.

As far buying something for the wife, I tried a few today at the display case not actaul shooting. The Kel Tec p11 I could barely even rack and the grip dug into my hand... no way (I really wanted to like it.)

The Ruger LCP was pretty easy but it is little. I have long fingers so to me it was kind of "too small" maybe I could rack it ok but I had hard time trying to lock the slide. The guy said I shouldn't even try to do it on that gun... just rack it. The Kahr 380 was nice also. I tried the NNA 380 great feel, looks cool has a laser but way too hard to rack. I put it back on the counter because I could not get a grip on it.

I know I maybe goofy but if I can't rack the thing I don't want it. I realize in a SD scenerio I shouldn't need to do that. But I don't want to have my hubby help everytime I need to do that.

Good luck...It is worse than trying to by shoes!

^^^^Sig 238 is the best pocket pistol of the bunch IMO

Every Sig made is a great gun,top of the line

I do not like anything Bersa makes,they are cheap guns,they feel cheap and the few I tried shot high -not many people would even look at Bersa if the gun craze was not apon us ...

LCPs are popular because they are cheap and light they are hard to rack ,they fail,they stove pipe and they defiantly need 200+ rounds to break in....

Mine is just broken in now but I draw blood on my hands every time I range shoot it :/

but in summer I have no desire to carry a big gun...

XDs are excellent,they are life protecting fire arms that never fail and are easy to shoot- I like the sub compact models allot for CC

^^^^Sig 238 is the best pocket pistol of the bunch IMO

Every Sig made is a great gun,top of the line

I do not like anything Bersa makes,they are cheap guns,they feel cheap and the few I tried shot high -not many people would even look at Bersa if the gun craze was not apon us ...

LCPs are popular because they are cheap and light they are hard to rack ,they fail,they stove pipe and they defiantly need 200+ rounds to break in....

Mine is just broken in now but I draw blood on my hands every time I range shoot it :/

but in summer I have no desire to carry a big gun...

XDs are excellent,they are life protecting fire arms that never fail and are easy to shoot- I like the sub compact models allot for CC

Are you using the magazine finger extension on your LCP? I am, and mine doesn't hurt my hand. The girlfriend doesn't like shooting it, but it doesn't hurt her.

My LCP is real reliable, but need a little polish work to the chamber. That eliminated the break-in period.

My wife absolutely loves her P238. As you noted, easier for her to rack, and it fits her hand great. Consequently, she shoots it real well. Its much less punishing than an LCP (both my and her perspective). She now has several hundred rounds through the P238 with nary a hiccup.

She also really likes the Taurus 709.

Guest 1817ak47

I 2nd the taurus pt709. just purchased one 2 days ago. real good for a small 9mm pistol and low recoil. not sure if they are readily available. rumor from gun salesmen is that they sell quickly. dunno if that is true though, but I wouldn't be surprised. I remember how the lcp's used to not stay in stock for more than a few hours on hte shelf

I actually like it when guys try and pick out a gun for their wives/gf's, since it seems that more times than not it ends up back at the local gun shop at a good price. That's how I found my SP101. A husband with good intentions thought he would buy it for his wife for her to carry. She had other plans (had no intention of carrying a gun) and made him sell it, so I found it and got a good deal on it.

Personally.. If my wife carried. (and she doesn't) the only gun I would buy her would be a snubby .38 +P. Just like with the car, twist the key and go.. anything else their callin fer us. Giving them anything other then a turnkey (pull triger) simple solution is bad idea.

Point and pull trigger, if it doesn't go bang.. pull it again. No tap, rack, blah anything. just pull the damn triger.

Ruger, Smith, Charter, Taurus, whatever.. they all go bang when the triger is pulled. Set a price point and go with it.

Do what ya like tho.. I'm just sayin if I would buy one.. now if the wife wants to decide on her own.. it's her baby.

Edited by lowbud