Ohio Democrat receives NRA endorsement

Ohio Democrat receives NRA endorsement - Decision 2010- msnbc.com

c.gif?NC=1255&NA=1154&PS=73838&PI=7329&DI=305&TP=http%3a%2f%2fmsnbc.msn.com%2f

msnbc_ban.gifMSNBC.com

Ohio Democrat receives NRA endorsement

GOP candidate's past voting record received failing grade on gun laws

msnbc.com staff and news service reports

updated 11:55 a.m. CT, Mon., June 14, 2010

The National Rifle Association made its first general election endorsement of the 2010 midterm cycle Monday, backing Ohio's incumbent Democratic governor over a Republican former congressman.

The NRA announced its backing of Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland in a letter to members that bestowed the gun-rights organization's top rating on Strickland and endorsed him in his contest against Republican John Kasich, The Associated Press reported.

According to the AP, Strickland accepted the endorsement Monday at a sporting goods store in Proctorville, near the Ohio-West Virginia border.

Strickland received the NRA's support in 2006 during his primary campaign, but the group remained neutral during the general election because both nominees were proponents of gun rights.

The endorsement could help Strickland widen the narrow margin he has gained in recent polls.

Kasich, a former congressman and Fox News commentator, has maintained a close race with the incumbent governor.

Kasich, who served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1982 to 2001, voted in favor of the Clinton assault weapons ban in 1994 and supported bills containing restrictions on gun shows and handgun sales. That voting record led to the NRA to give Kasich an 'F' grade during his tenure in Congress.

In reaction to the endorsement, the Ohio Republican Party has begun highlighting the inconsistencies of Strickland's voting record on gun laws.

© 2010 msnbc.com

URL: Ohio Democrat receives NRA endorsement - Decision 2010- msnbc.com

MSN Privacy . Legal

© 2010 MSNBC.com

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Overtaker

The NRA is a Second Amendment advocate. If a Democrat has a solid pro-second record, they get the endorsement. If a Republican (like the one in the article) is an anti, they don't get the endorsement.

I don't see the problem here.

There are some pro gun Democrats, including several here in our own state. Senator Doug Jackson, from Dickson (I think), is a Democrat and he's been one of the main legislators involved in getting carry in alcohol serving establishments passed here in TN.

Guest Knightsr25
The NRA is a Second Amendment advocate. If a Democrat has a solid pro-second record, they get the endorsement. If a Republican (like the one in the article) is an anti, they don't get the endorsement.

+1

Guest Ae-35

I agree, I don't blindly vote for any Party !!!! Gotta start gett'n the best person we can, no matter the party, look, no matter which party has been in control over the last 30 years, our gov. just keeps gett'n worse and we lose more and more freedom !!!
I agree, I don't blindly vote for any Party !!!! Gotta start gett'n the best person we can, no matter the party, look, no matter which party has been in control over the last 30 years, our gov. just keeps gett'n worse and we lose more and more freedom !!!

+1

If America is going to move forward. We need to stop listening to our political leaders when they tell us to hate the other party. Lets all take a Democrat to lunch today! Give'em a big hug! AND you Democrats! SAME THING. You want to listen to someone speak with wisdom, read the red letters. HE will tell you how to do it.

If America is going to move forward. We need to stop listening to our political leaders when they tell us to hate the other party. Lets all take a Democrat to lunch today! Give'em a big hug! AND you Democrats! SAME THING. You want to listen to someone speak with wisdom, read the red letters. HE will tell you how to do it.

I wouldn't go that far, but... the biggest problem we have is immoral, self serving, crooked politicians. The ugliest result of that problem is that WE get screwed. In my feeble opinion, it's more important to pick the one that's going to do the least amount of damage to me.

Now, if you have two moral guys (highly unlikely), or two totally crooked guys (very likely), then party may drive the decision.

Their 2A position is a big one to me, but other than that, I have very low expectations out of any of them. If they're anti 2A, I consider them immoral.

I was just kidding about the hugging part. I just hate seeing this country getting torn apart.

Me too. There are a few good folks on both sides of the issues, but our media, on both sides, are keeping it whipped into a frenzy for THEIR own benefit. We all play along, kinda like sheep.

Guest Lester Weevils
Me too. There are a few good folks on both sides of the issues, but our media, on both sides, are keeping it whipped into a frenzy for THEIR own benefit. We all play along, kinda like sheep.

I might go for some unambitious fellow who only promises to be ultra-lazy but not steal excessive amounts of money. A general pledge not to vote for new legislation except obvious emergencies and only vote for steady-state budgets. And a pledge to generally vote for any legislation repeal that might come up.

If the budget could just be frozen with no inflation adjustment, we could eventually grow out of the mess, though it would take a long time.

NRA ratings are based ONLY on 2A issues.

That said, remember that the NRA gave Phil Bredesen a strong rating and endorsed his bid for reelection, too. His actions these past two years have proven, to me, that those ratings and endorsements don't always mean much.

Guest db99wj
That said, remember that the NRA gave Phil Bredesen a strong rating and endorsed his bid for reelection, too. His actions these past two years have proven, to me, that those ratings and endorsements don't always mean much.

Also tells you that some politicians will sell out in order to further their ending careers.