Man ROBBED at local Gun Store

While I didn't make the deal, I stood right beside the guy trading the pistols and watched the counter guy check each one and function test it, Both pistols were clean and well taken care of. They took advantage of a guy who hadn't educated him self on the value of the pistols, and while a business is there to make a profit, straight up ripping people off is unacceptable and while I couldn't help this guy I wanted to make sure that I let everyone that is willing to read this post know about it. I have purchased a lot of reloading compontants and firearms from them, but that is now in the past.

Yea, I don't dispute what took place. I just know how my nephew and myself have been treated on trades there and it has always been fair. However, we knew what our guns were worth and they knew we knew what they were worth. Plus, most people want what they want NOW be damded the cost. I do know they have quite a few of those style of revolvers in the case. Probably did not want to invest much in overstock would be my guess. Who knows.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even here in East Tennessee there are some shops that price for the greatest return on each sale. I have gone into all I drove past and looked to see what was available. I asked the best price and if it was not available else where I bought it. However there is only 2 gun store that get my repeat business because of what I considered "Price Gouging"by others. At least one of the others is a sponsor on this site. So to the Gun Dealers. Be fair to all your customers because the one in bibs might spend a few bucks on repeat business if treated fairly.

Edited by Desert Rat
spelin
Guest motonut

I've been in there many times and used to buy ammo from them on a regular basis but I started spending my money elsewhere. It's one thing to blame the customer for not knowing what they have but if you're in business your customers are eventually going to figure out they got screwed, then you've lost a customer. In this case they've lost multiple customers. If you'd rather make $100 on 1 customer vs. $25 on each of 5 customers that's your prerogative but eventually it's going to hurt you. Personally, as much as I dislike WalMart I'll shop there before I shop at RB anymore.

While I was there watching this robbery, there were a couple of things wrong. He should have received about 150.00 to 200.00 on the (2) 38 specials based on their looks and function testing from what I seen. The seller of the 38 specials did mention to the shop, I will take whatever I can get out of these to buy the other one. Bad thing to say. It was not fair and now I will be looking at other places. I would have personally gave him 150.00 each for them just to have if I known he was going to be stolen from. There is fair business and what took place today was not fair in any way!

I buy a lot of reloading stuff from the Rloader's Bench. I've never purchased a gun from them. They are a little high, but they usually have what I want when I want it. Sometimes paying a little more is well worth not driving around hunting. As for the trade, the guy agreed to it, and they are there to make money. I've never seen a lack of a crowd when I've been there. At least they will try to help you. I went into two not busy gun stores in Lebanon last week, and no one in either store ever spoke to me.

150.00 to 200.00 was a fair price for the trade not the 80.00 to 90.00 he got from them. I will go back to the Bench to satisfy my curiosity on how much they mark it up. If you were there, you would have understood this whole thread.

I just told a lady in another thread that her shotgun was worth upwards of $10k. I could have PMed her and offered $2k and I imagine she'd have been happy. I don't see anything wrong with that. How many people do you see lined up to buy a $15k shotgun?

I will be curious what kind of price they will put on these pistols, for anyone wanting to know, they are S&W model 65's, 4 inch barrels with bob hammers and uncle mike grips.

I guess they will put $295.00 to $350.00 on each. If they're going to do business like this, I hope they go out of business, get shut down, lose everything they have and end up living on the street eating out of dumpsters, ****ing thieves.

I worked in a gun shop 20+ years ago and trading guns is a cash cow and pays the bills if you're good at it. No one makes you trade. People screw themselves every day. Whether it's throwing tons of money in some car then trading it off for a fraction of what they put it in just because they find a car they want more. Or, taking their "scrap gold" down to the Holiday Inn and trade it for cash or even mail it to someone in who knows where.

Many people are just stupid. They let their immediate wants dictate their life come hell or high water. And while I'd be pissed over such a deal, I don't usually let my little head think for my big head either. You can't make people act in a fashion that you or I might consider normal, because everyone is different and each person is entitled to their own little world of reality.

Do I blame the RB for doing something wrong? No, it's business, if they weren't physically twisting the customers arm or holding his first born for ransom he could have easily turned around and walked out. But it was something the customer wanted, regardless of how stupid the trade was, is not our judgment to make. We can on the other hand learn from this man's experience. Will it deter me from patronizing the RB in the future. Not at all. Will I try and work a trade with them, sure, but I'll have done my homework first. And you can say that for anything.

I will be back to RB to see the price on these guns. I know what they paid for them in trade as I was there and offer them a lower price less than they paid for them. They deserve to be treated as they treated uneducated customers. For those people that want to treat potential customers like that(or offer unfair pricing based on the uneducated customers or preceived taking advantage), I hope that the internet takes them over without remorse! For those that condone this action, hope I never have the unpleasure of doing business with you.

New store over here in East TN offered me a deal. I give him my sw642 and 100.00 for his FEG hi-power clone. He had 320.00 on the clone. That makes my smith worth 220.00. He had a used one in his case for 425.00. I didn't even speak to the guy, just laid down his gun and walked out with this weird look on my face. No need for me to go in there anymore. I'll spend a little more at a place that I know is fair with their trades. I will at least know he gave the guy before me a decent price on the trade!!

I worked in a gun shop 20+ years ago and trading guns is a cash cow and pays the bills if you're good at it. No one makes you trade. People screw themselves every day. Whether it's throwing tons of money in some car then trading it off for a fraction of what they put it in just because they find a car they want more. Or, taking their "scrap gold" down to the Holiday Inn and trade it for cash or even mail it to someone in who knows where.

Many people are just stupid. They let their immediate wants dictate their life come hell or high water. And while I'd be pissed over such a deal, I don't usually let my little head think for my big head either. You can't make people act in a fashion that you or I might consider normal, because everyone is different and each person is entitled to their own little world of reality.

Do I blame the RB for doing something wrong? No, it's business, if they weren't physically twisting the customers arm or holding his first born for ransom he could have easily turned around and walked out. But it was something the customer wanted, regardless of how stupid the trade was, is not our judgment to make. We can on the other hand learn from this man's experience. Will it deter me from patronizing the RB in the future. Not at all. Will I try and work a trade with them, sure, but I'll have done my homework first. And you can say that for anything.

This. Right here. Is truth.

Having been on both sides of the counter. YOU may be of the opinion that they "stole" the guns from him. I actuality they negotiated a price to where both parties were satisfied, agreed and finalized it.

OP, with your superior morals why did you not interrupt and tell the guy he was receiving less than optimal value for his guns?

Why stay silent?

I see no foul. just an uneducated customer. Caveat Emptor.

For those people that want to treat potential customers like that(or offer unfair pricing based on the uneducated customers or preceived taking advantage), I hope that the internet takes them over without remorse! For those that condone this action, hope I never have the unpleasure of doing business with you.

He could have pulled the plug on the deal at any time. Again, why not step in if you saw this supposed tragedy?

my .02c, for what it's worth.

Mike

Only bits and parts of the conversation and did not realize what happened until it was done because I was in the middle of buying my own gun and 5 cans of powder. If I heard all of it, then I would have took the sale from Reloaders Bench..............without question.

Edited by HOGNUT
I see no foul.

I see no broken laws. I see no arm-twisting. I do, however, see a "foul". The man was uneducated about his guns. Somehow, this makes it ok to rip him off?

I wasn't there and I don't know what all was said. If, by chance, the salesman made it clear to him that his guns were worth "$xxx" and he would offer him only $80 because of this or that, then it's okay in my book. If, however, the salesman saw a "sucker" walk in the door, I take big issue with that. It's not "just business". It's dirty.

Guest mikedwood

Want robbery? go buy a $2,000 diamond ring and take it to another jewelry store and try and sell it. You would probably be offered $100.

Having been on both sides of the Counter in the past. The ones that treat their customers fair are the ones that get repeat business. If you want to make 100 bucks of one person you miss making 20 bucks each off 200 people. This is one of the reasons that so many are going to the internet to buy and saving by just doing transfer fees locally.

Having been on both sides of the fence, I know that sometimes you just can't win. Since I wasn't there, I'll just say that had it been me, it probably would have happened like this:

Older Gent (OG) - "I've got these two old S&W revolvers. What kind of trade will you make towards this new pistol right there?"

Me - "How about your revolvers and $450?"

OG - "OK."

Me - "Just a minute Sir. I thought we were beginning a negotiation. I started way low expecting you to start high and have us meet up with a trade that was fair to both. If you want my best offer, that would be your revolvers plus $250. I'm here to make a living like anyone else, but I want you to know I didn't take advantage of you."

OG - "Oh, I didn't know. I appreciate you being honest about it."

I've had that happen to me many times. I've also had the guy that wants to use his 'brand-new' without a box only been shot about 200rds over the past two years and never even cleaned or wiped off gun as a trade. And he expects that he can get $500 since that what the guy three aisles over at the Gun Show who prices 20% over list has on his gun that IS new.

Sometimes you just can't win!

Some people just don't know how to negotiate anything either. Or are afraid that by asking for a lower price they will offend someone.

I don't understand it, but i've run across that several times.

Want robbery? go buy a $2,000 diamond ring and take it to another jewelry store and try and sell it. You would probably be offered $100.

You REALLY want robbery? Go buy a $200,000 Ferrari, drive it off the lot, round the block & then try & return it. See how much you get offered.