The Official TGO Book Thread

Il Duce

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

barewoolf, my offer still stands, we need to compare book lists and swap for a while. I don't "PIF" Larry Niven books, well, most of my books but I do lend them. I usually go through them every few years and the ones that have not been re-read several times get selected for the trip to a bookstore for store credit and the collection continues. I have three full book cases for you to peruse and probably everything Niven has pushed out, even the collaboration material. I also have all the Dune series, both Franks's and his son's prequels and sequels. It would be a weekend thing but I need to go through and dust so I might go ahead and catalog what I got. Start putting your stuff in a spread sheet or something and we can swap so we don't have to keep re-reading the same things constantly.

Looks like Atlas Shrugged is quite popular right now. I'm actually re-reading it. It means a whole lot more now than when I was 20. The last book, not mentioned , that I read was Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It was great.

Guest mn32768

My wife's studying for her Master's degree in Criminal Justice, so there's a ton of books about crime and the justice system lying around... I just finished "This is for the Mara Salvatrucha" by Samuel Logan. The book is a view to the notorious MS-13 gang from the perspective of a hapless informant and a group of FBI agents. I found the book an enlightening (although a bit long-winded) foray to the world of Latino gangs. I didn't particularly care how the FBI was portrayed as being lax and clueless, regardless of whether it's true or not.

The last books I've read were:

"The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual, Level 1". Now I can start on a General License. :poop:

"Touch Not This Wall" by Harley Melton. The author's account of experiences in Vietnam.

Edited by tnhawk
Guest bkelm18

If you're into good sci-fi, I highly recommend the Coyote trilogy (Coyote, Coyote Rising, and Coyote Frontier) by Allen Steele. Basically it's about a group of political dissidents (called Dissident Intellectuals in the books) who hijack the world's first Starship in order to escape the increasingly authoritarian conservative gov't. Excellent books that have a lot of parallels to today's world in terms of overpowerful governments.

"Maxims", hummm. I think I need to pull out my copy of "The Devil's Paintbrush" again!

I'm starting to read a book called "Hurricats". Talk about some guys with big brass ones!!! These guys flew Hurricane Fighters from catapults mounted on cargo ships to protect North Atlantic convoys from German submarines and long-range aircraft. If they were lucky, they were near enough to dry land to bail out or crash before running out of fuel. Otherwise, they went swimming and hoped to get picked up. I cannot imagine doing that during a Murmansk Run!!!

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone owns a Barnes and Noble Nook, you can lend books for 14 days wirelessly I have several on my nook that I am reading but I finished Shooter last trip out and will be happy to send it to someone as a loan it is a pretty good read

Mike .357, I found my copy of One Second After.

Heck Daniel too funny. I got a piece of snail mail today from the Knox County Library that the copy I requested from them is waiting for me over in Halls. I am gonna snag it tomorrow. Only have 75 or so pages left in Wolf and Iron.

The fall after the bear attack really sucked in that book.

picked up my copy of One Second After. Can't hardly put it down. I think I am about half way through it already.

Football game coming on and needing to eat a sammich so I do not drink beer on an empty stomache had me set it down.

The book is awesome and downright scary.

2nd on the Book Den in Franklin. That place is awesome.

I'm midway through these books right now.

The Federalist Papers

Level 26

Plague of the Dead

For us the Living

Walden

I'm up for a PIF TGO book club.

Currently looking to read these books. I've got them in my shopping cart on amazon, but If you guys have them and don't mind sharing, it would help save some money.

Other Losses - James Bacque

Black Glasses Like Clark Kent: A GI's Secret from Postwar Japan - Terese Svoboda

Triggernometry: A Gallery of Gunfighters - Eugene Cunningham

Jim Cirillo's Tales Of The Stakeout Squad - Paul Kirchner

Guns, Bullets, And Gunfights: Lessons And Tales From A Modern-Day Gunfighter - Jim Cirillo

Deadliest Men: The World's Deadliest Combatants Throughout the Ages - Paul Kirchner

More of the Deadliest Men Who Ever Lived - Paul Kirchner

Green Eyes and Black Rifles: Warriors Guide to the Combat Carbine - Ret. SGM Kyle E. Lamb

Principles Of Personal Defense - Jeff Cooper

Mike