The Official TGO Book Thread

Il Duce

So this thread is for us to post up what books we are reading and our thoughts on them as we read them or what we thought of it after we finished it.

Right now I am reading 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive by Cody Lundin. This book is a fantastic read. It explains how keeping your body's core temperature is of utmost importance. He uses all sorts of ways to keep your mind into the book and to help drive the point home. Its geared to 72 hour survival as most rescues happen within that window and is not meant as a field book but one to use before you venture out. I definitely recommend it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last "new" book I read was Atlas Shrugged. Everything else is being re-read as I'm broke.

That was my last read as well. (Or should I say listened to it on CD...all 50 of them). It was a good book that made me think the current admin is using it as their playbook on how to ruin the country.

On the broke part, don't forget about the public library. :shake:

Guest Bronker

Just finished this:

"Bleed, Blister and Purge: A History of Medicine on the American Frontier" by Volney Steele, M.D.

Now I'm on to:

"America's Constitution" by Akhil Reed Amar

I'm so ashamed. I picked up some Charlaine Harris books in a closeout bin. You know....the books HBO's TRUE BLOOD 's based on. They are not too bad, kind of... Anyway, it's something different. It beats the Twilight story. Has the vampire love mix, plus the blood and guts action thrown in, and a fair plot line. The third book gives a new twist to what really happened to Elvis.

Guest jackdm3

I was given "Lone Survivor" and my FIL's pushing me to get "Last of the Tin Can Sailors" because he has to return his borrowed copy. Know about these?

Hey...in an effort to redeem myself from post #8. I just finished reading three books by Tom Kratman--Caliphate/A Desert Called Peace/Carnifex. All around 900 pages each, but quite good and worth the time.

Micharl Z. Williamson's The Weapon is next.

Reading some of Thomas Paine's works in my spare time (which isn't much). I gotta say I really like what I'm reading. I like all the Darwin Award books, there's also Final Exits: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of How we Die, and Jon Hodgman's Areas of My Expertise (on The Daily Show being interviewed about the book, he was so funny they gave him a job), those are my funny books I may have others I've forgotten about. I also have a bit of philosophical and intelligent books including The Prince, The Art of War, some of Nietzsche's work, and yes, The Communist Manifesto. It provides an interesting perspective of capitalism from the other side.

I smell a PIF book thread!
And if I recall, the post office still has a rate for books! I'd be all over it.

I'm mostly sci fi/mil sci fi/fiction and some classics.

I'm all for that. Maybe a mod can make a sticky for us.

Edited by brooksjr
Last "new" book I read was Atlas Shrugged. Everything else is being re-read as I'm broke.

thats where I am at. Currently re-reading The Corp by WEB Griffen. I am on book #4 I think.

Good stuff based on historical fact about WW2 in the pacific. The main characters for the most part of fictional but they are intertwined with real people.

The series of books starts in China pre WW2 and the last book is about Korea. Highly recommended reading if you are into war novels

Edited by Mike.357
Guest Daelith

Glad to see this thread started.

Post office has a media mail rate for books. Somewhat cheaper than regular postage. I have found that if some books are smaller and lighter weight then it's cheaper to go regular mail. Just have to ask them to weigh them and let you know.

Just finished SEAL Team Seven: Bloodstorm by Keith Douglass and Worst Fears Realized by Stuart Woods.

Guest 6.8 AR

"Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein. Had my doubts, but after Suntzu

Gave it a thumbs up, I had to. Awesome read and will make you think about a lot of

stuff in a different light.

Rightwinger, if you liked Atlas Shrugged, Rand wrote another big classic that was

made a movie. The Fountainhead, with Gary Cooper. Read that book then watch

the movie.

Guest Drewsett

Atlas Shrugged is perhaps my favorite book of all time.

Fountainhead is also another good one by Ayn Rand.

Mike, The Corps is a great series...I've probably read it 10+ times. The Men at War series is pretty good as well. I own every WEB Griffin and Tom Clancy book ever published and most of them have been read at least 10 times. Just can't get enough of that historical fiction.

I'm 25 years old and I have 6 bookcases completely filled with books (a couple of them are even three deep).

For those of you who live in the greater Nashville area, there is a great secondhand book shop over in Williamson Square in Franklin (where the Kroger is on Hwy 96). I believe it's called the Book Den. I purge my book collection at least once a year or so and take a box or two over there. They will give you a credit account. Most of their paperbacks are a buck or two, depending on condition. I have so much credit over there that I don't think I'll ever need to pay $$ for a book ever again.

The last book I read was "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac, very interesting novel about the "beatnik" generation.

Before that I read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" a great libertarian manifesto by Heinlein.

I am currently reading "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemingway.

I decided a couple of years back that I wanted to read every book on Time's Top 100 novels list

I'm about halfway done.

Edited by Drewsett
Guest nosnos

I'm finally reading Atlas Shrugged. Silly that it's taken me this long. Usually I just like cheap thrillers.

I've got to recommend McKay used book store in Nashville. We'll take a box of books in there and ALWAYS get more credit than we expected. Huge inventory too! And pretty organized...

Guest Drewsett
I'm finally reading Atlas Shrugged. Silly that it's taken me this long.

It'll take even longer to read....especially around page 45 or so of the section I like to call "the Objectivist manifesto"

Guest Daelith
I'm so ashamed. I picked up some Charlaine Harris books in a closeout bin. You know....the books HBO's TRUE BLOOD 's based on. They are not too bad, kind of... Anyway, it's something different. It beats the Twilight story. Has the vampire love mix, plus the blood and guts action thrown in, and a fair plot line. The third book gives a new twist to what really happened to Elvis.

The Southern Vampire series are some great books. I've been reading Charlaine Harris' works for years now. She has another mystery series (the Harper Connelly series) in which the main character finds dead people.

You should only be ashamed if you had admitting to liking the Twilight books.:)

If you like the paranormal/urban fantasy books, I highly recommend Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series.

Just finshed "Carved in Bone" by Jefferson Bass (Dr. Bill "Body Farm" Bass from UT and some guy named Jefferson) last night and started in on "Flesh and Bone", the second in the series.

Great read if you are interested in forensic science. I had the pleasure of taking a class from Dr. Bass during my career at UT. It's all about ET, especially the goings-on in a thinly-veiled Cocke County (Cooke in the book).

Jefferson Bass - The Official Website

Guest KimberChick

I'm wading my way slowly thought "Guns, Germs and Steel" currently. It's one of the dozen or so books on our office bookshelf and was parked right next to "One Second After." It's a bit slow going as someone in the office has read it and left margin notes, lol.

A book I have re-read about a half-dozen times is "Sacred Origins of Profound Things" by Charles Panati. It's a look at the World's religions and religious customs/practices from a relatively neutral viewpoint.

I'm reading "Kokoda". The Kokoda Trail in New Guinea is where the Japanese advance in the Pacific was stopped. The campaign is pretty well known in Australia as it was fought by the Australians. Bitter, close-range tropical jungle mountain warfare where every round of ammunition had to be walked 37 miles up a steep, narrow, muddy path.

Waiting on the table is "Proud Promise - French Autoloading Rifles 1898-1979". Should be interesting.

I highly recommend "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". I stand in awe of those men.