What should I get with my $500 birthday budget?

Guest mrl4ng

My (keeper) girlfriend just informed me that she wants to get me a firearm for my birthday.

I, of course told her she got brownie points for trying, but wasn't going to let her spend that much on me...but shes being stubborn. ;)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

She said shes been saving with this in mind for awhile & my budget was $500 bud I HAD to spend AT LEAST 400. I have a small collection, but have/have already had most of what interests me in that price-range...so Im thinking about looking for something a little different. I have plenty of sporting guns/handguns/serious hd...I feel like a girlfriend gun should be something with character thats fun to take to the range. I'd ask for a s/a uzi or something, but I think thats a little out of my pricerange.

Maybe some kind of interesting milsurp? I thought i'd see what you all might have or suggest I look for.

Keep in mind that girlfriend-gifted weapons become non-transferrable, ;) so Id like it to be something somewhat "keeper worthy" lol.

thanks in advance. haha

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My (keeper) girlfriend just informed me that she wants to get me a firearm for my birthday.

I, of course told her she got brownie points for trying, but wasn't going to let her spend that much on me...but shes being stubborn. :(

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

She said shes been saving with this in mind for awhile & my budget was $500 bud I HAD to spend AT LEAST 400. I have a small collection, but have/have already had most of what interests me in that price-range...so Im thinking about looking for something a little different. I have plenty of sporting guns/handguns/serious hd...I feel like a girlfriend gun should be something with character thats fun to take to the range. I'd ask for a s/a uzi or something, but I think thats a little out of my pricerange.

Maybe some kind of interesting milsurp? I thought i'd see what you all might have or suggest I look for.

Keep in mind that girlfriend-gifted weapons become non-transferrable, ;) so Id like it to be something somewhat "keeper worthy" lol.

thanks in advance. haha

How about a single action revolver? Got plenty of character and fun to shoot. If she doesn't shoot you could use your birthday money to buy her a pink Sig Mosquito(or some other such girly colored gun). Tell her that the reason buying her a gun is actually a gift for you is that you'll be able to spend more time together(she might give you some of the good stuff too, if ya know what I mean;)). Plus if you are secure enough in your manhood, you can have fun shooting it too.:D

She has come to the range several times...she enjoys shooting occasionally, but usually leaves shooting trips up to the boys. ( I love her to death, but ya gotta get some bro time occasionally haha )

I was gonna say something like the Mosquito, or even the newer M&P15-22. the new model comes with flip-up front and rear sights...

I agree that it should be something a bit different, and also something that is just plain fun to take out and shoot (like any 22)...

OR, you could buy a Used Wingmaster or Moss 500 and spend the other $200 on the NFA stamp to make an SBS for fun...

Since you posted in long guns, what about a Ruger 10/22? Cheap to shoot, reliable and zillions of bolt-ons to build anything from a varmint sniper rifle to the most tacti-cool plinker that would make the most jaded Mall Ninja drool.

With $500, you could buy two base models, a his and hers...

Hmm...

Thoughts: IF you do not have a Permit, Carry Permit Class, and Permit. Gun related, worth it, and it allows you to protect her assets ;)...

That said, my thoughts on the matter...

Mil-Surp:

Option 1) http://gunsnammo.com/ M39 Mosin-Nagant with pre-1899 antique receiver...(Finland produced, off of an Antique Receiver, which makes it an Antique and not officially a firearm under Fed Law - can be shipped to your door...no FFL or C&R required...) The ones around $300 should do the trick...

Then get yourself some 7.62x54r ammo at Aim surplus - and you will still be under the $500 limit.

Option 2) Swiss Schmidt-Rubin Swiss Rifles Firearms and some surplus ammo - will be under your $500 limit. Classic firearm, very accurate. Various models.

Option 3) Enfield Firearms They have the #4 Mk 1 version. Hand pick... again add .303 surp ammo and still under $500.

Option 4) Yugoslav M24/47 Mauser - 8mm copied the German M98 action - again add mil surp ammo and under $500...

Option 5) Czech vz. 24 8mm Mauser Czechoslavakian vz. 24 8mm Mauser Rifle

Option 6) 4 Mosin-Nagants 1891/30 model. Yes FOUR. Get 2 Hex and 2 Round receiver from both factories... Firearms

Option 7) Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 Sniper Firearms

Option 8) SKS such as this Yugoslav 59/66 (Think AK-47 ammo with the feel of a older wood stock rifle...) Yugoslavian SKS 59/66, 7.62x39. Very good condition.

Option 9) has a bit more hoops but might be fun: http://www.odcmp.com/ Civilian Marksmanship Program - which may allow you to buy US Mil Surps from the program: http://www.thecmp.org/ Possible to get M-1 Carbine or Garand around $500ish... and you'd probably want to go to the store itself...

Option +A) Any of the above and add a CZ-82 Pistol Firearms - instead of ammo.

Note: Websites are for reference.

I have bought from gunsnammo.com with zero issue.

aimsurplus.com has an excellent reputation. Ask around on classic arms and J&G Sales.

Have Fun!

(Does she have a sister?)

Edited by HvyMtl

Let me get this straight.

Your keeper (congratulations) has saved up a good bit of money because she loves you and wants to do something special for you?

IMHO, if you buy something for her you steal her joy of giving. She made a decision to save and did it because she cares for you and wants to show it.

You can buy something for you with her in mind, but she wants to make you happy. If you cant find something (girlfriend friendly) you like too I wouldn't do it.

Remember: Its your birthday and she is trying to make it special for you.

Or I could be talking out my butt because I don't know either of you. Either way it's something to think about.

I honestly just want a range toy...something completely different. I like the idea of getting something that will undoubtedly be on the next AWB...

I think we are going to the show at the shriner's building the 2nd/3rd to shop around, but right now, im leaning towards one of these. Im definately the kind of person that likes to buy my firearms IN PERSON, so local/gunshow would be best. ;)

-https://www.masterpiecearms.com/products.php?cat=27

-Saiga 308

-Norinco 1887 clone

-Taurus Judge

-Ak bullpup

-(I really like the idea of her paying for the tax stamp and making a cheap sbs together)

-ruger gp100?

-"krinker plinker" kit for the 10/22?

thanks for all your ideas.

Edited by mrl4ng