Greatest Rock Band Ever

Garufa

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that no one has mentioned Skynrd before now.

I love you guys. I can't stand Skynrd. More accurately, I can't stand the same 6-8 songs that are constantly on the radio here.

That said, love me some Metallica! :D However, without Zep there'd be no Metallica, so Zep gets my vote.

While I really wouldn't consider them rock, I would have to say pre-Load Metallica is by far my favorite. My second choice would between Ozzy and Pink Floyd.

I'm surprised nobody meantioned Abba, I am quite certain there are some Dancing Queen(s) present on this forum. I guess you disco fans must be in the closet. :(

Edited by mav
can't type

Too many greats to pick just one. I got introduced to rock with Led Zeppelin 1 and 2. Loved AC DC with Angus. Saw them a couple of times. Saw ZZ top and lynyrd Skynyrd 4 times in one summer and 2 of those shows also had Marshal Tucker on the ticket. I have to agree with Mike357. The best show I ever saw was Springsteen at Rupp Arena. I wasn't much off a fan but went with my girlfriend (now my wife). Springsteen played for 4 hours and had to be helped off the stage. Ted Nugent could really rock too.

[h=3][/h]Glenn

Guest Bassman17SC

The Pink Floyd.

While their studio recordings were groundbreaking, it was their live performances that really propelled them. Saw The Wall in 1980 in Nassau Coliseum; again in 1994 at Vanderbilt (Rogerless Floyd, though). Their best, though, was the 'Animals' tour in 1977-1978: 'Animals' in its entirety for the first set; 'Wish You Were Here' in its entirety for the second set; three or four encore songs from DSOTM. if you can find some bootlegs from that era, then be prepared to ROCK.

Did you know that they were the first band to use quadrophonic sound at their shows?

Led Zeppelin is my #2, followed by Rush at #3 (seen them 7 times now).

The Pink Floyd.

While their studio recordings were groundbreaking, it was their live performances that really propelled them. Saw The Wall in 1980 in Nassau Coliseum; again in 1994 at Vanderbilt (Rogerless Floyd, though). Their best, though, was the 'Animals' tour in 1977-1978: 'Animals' in its entirety for the first set; 'Wish You Were Here' in its entirety for the second set; three or four encore songs from DSOTM. if you can find some bootlegs from that era, then be prepared to ROCK.

Did you know that they were the first band to use quadrophonic sound at their shows?

Led Zeppelin is my #2, followed by Rush at #3 (seen them 7 times now).

Floyd would be my first pick to see live. I had an opportunity to see them after their last studio album. Money was tight back then and I didn't go. I kick myself all the time over that. I always thought Pink Floyd was "too big to fail" and would be around forever. I still have hopes that the band will patch it up with Waters and reunite (minus Richard Wright, of course). I know, I don't live in reality. I think I read an interview with Gilmour, who said the band is done.

I've seen Rush several times too. they always put on a good show. Jethro Tull is another one that, while their albums were fantastic, the live shows were even better.

Other groups I wish I had seen before they were gone:

Led Zeppelin

The Who

Rolling Stones. I'm not a huge fan, I like them OK, but their live shows are great.

Floyd fans, IF you haven't seen or heard David Gilmour's latest efforts "Remember that Night" or his "Live At the Royal Albert Hall" (on DVD and CD) you're missing a real treat. Excellent live version of Echoes and David Bowie sings Arnold Lane and Comfortably Numb.:hiding:

Other favorite's of mine are Joe Bonamassa and Indigeous, if you like rock'n blues.

So who do you think is the greatest rock band of all time? I have many favorites but the one that never lets me down, that I never turn off, that no one can make me adjust the volume on is....

Led Zeppelin. :D

I've been this way my entire life.

Rock on and get some Led for your head tonight....:D

Why did Pete Townsend break his guitars?

Because no matter how much he practiced, he knew he would never be as good as Jimmie Paige.

Well, I'm not a fan at all, but I have seen Bruce Springsteen in concert twice. Over FOUR hours each time. There is some SERIOUS talent there. The songs of his that hit mainstream do NOTHING to display the talent of the E-Street band. Like I said, I am not a fan, but I have a great respect for the fluidity and talent in that band.

On a side note, when they came to Nashville last, I noticed Max Wineberg. Now, I don't know if that guy has some of the best cardio in the business or it's wonderous miracles that a few lines of coke can perform, but he played for nigh two hours non stop...as in keeping a rhythm continuously between songs. That's a lot of beatin' to do in a suit and tie!