Bass Pro attendant on 9mm ammo

I recently went to Bass Pro to buy some personal defense ammo and as usual they were basically out of stock of everything in 9mm. They had the Remington Golden Saber HJP +P (can't remember the grain) and the 147 grain HJP. I asked the attendant his opinion on them as I have never really shot anything other than the Fiocchi's I picked up when I bought the gun and the walmart value packs. He said "it's better than nothing but if it were me i'd feel safer leaving here buying another caliber gun that we did have Hornady (higher priced) ammo for and then getting that ammo." I went ahead and bought the 147 grain after he explained a +P round in a 3" barrel would only blind me even though I was skeptical of his knowledge after that last statement. Is there anything wrong with the Golden Saber ammo or was this guy just trying to sell me more expensive ammo and/or another gun?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems to be the trend a BPS these days. I went in to buy an inexpensive scope and was talked out of it by the salesman. It was their brand and in stock. He was too busy trying to upsell me a Nikon or Leupold to sell me a $70 scope. I went to another store and bought the same scope for $53.

I don't understand them. Sell the customer what he wants, not what you have a lot of in stock and need to move.

He didn't know what he was talking about.

But he was friendly enough to point it out with his comment... so I'll give a "Gold Star" for showing up, and a "Double Secret Zinc Star w/clusters" for making it to the "TGO Thread of Shame" by having a Thread started about him. ;)

• Admin Team

I prefer Federal HSTs in a 147 grain round, but you can rest assured that so long as your weapon feeds Golden Sabers reliably, they will perform just fine. A whole lot of officers put their life on the line every day behind Golden Saber rounds.

I just can't seem to find the Federal HST anywhere. Have never ordered handgun ammo online and have checked everywhere I can think of (which is limited) but Guns and Ammo in the Memphis area for it.

kylesgunshop.com good prices and great customer service.

Kyle's Gunshop: Federal HST 9mm 147gr +P LE P9HST4 (50 Rounds)

I read an interview of a South African LEO who has to use 115gr FMJ rounds in his 9mm. He has been in many gun fights and claims that "The bad guys never noticed that I was shooting 115gr FMJs." I have heard some bad things about the old 9mm 147 grain rounds.

Chuck Hawks hates them. Frankly I would feel just fine carrying the Golden Saber 147 JHP in +P. As a matter of fact it is listed as one of the best self defense rounds in 9mm.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

I walked out of Dick's in Mt. Juliet for similar reasons, even after they agreed to price match wal-mart on wwb 9mm value packs... the sales guy started in on a rant about how 9mm wasn't good enough and how his personal .40 guns are much better ballistically.

There's a reason it's called Dicks.

Aren't the Federal HST's the latest thing, surpassing the HydraShoks?

I'd call G&A on Summer before I trucked over there to find nothing. Otherwise you might be looking online.

I assume you went to BassPro in Bartlett? The last time I was there they had boatloads of FMJ. They usually don't have much to speak of when it comes to JHP 9mm, besides Golden Sabres.

When I had a 9mm, I kept it loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 Grain +P's. I've never heard of quality self defense ammo blinding people. In fact, the good stuff cuts down on flash. Try it at a range that isn't well lit or go outside at dusk and compare it to cheap range ammo. Or better, get some cheap Wolf or other Russian-Eastern European 9mm ammo. I fired some out of my 9mm and it had a lot of flash and was kind of fun to shoot at a little indoor range in North Little Rock, Arkansas.