FEAR FACTOR in concealed carry weapons.

Will Carry

OK it's a slow night at work...........:rolleyes:

If you were to choose a carry gun solely on fear factor and intimidation NOT on effectiveness or stopping power. What would it be? Is a big bore revolver scarier than a Bersa Thunder to a gangsta? Could you intimidate a thug with a scary looking gun? My Ruger Vaquero fits Mexican carry pretty well, I wonder if it would make a mugger hesitate long enough to gain the advantage? What about one of them pink guns? Would he spend and extra second wondering "WTF! Dat gun Bees PINK!"?

Edited by Will Carry
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Intimidation value alone?

Probably this:

PDBC_muzzle.JPG

PDBC_right.JPG

Sure, it only holds two shots, and they are BP charges... but staring down into those 2 big, dark holes would have to make a person re-think their place in this world...

Honestly, those i met in southern Ca. were really too stupid to be afraid of anything, that an, aimost all had to do some kind of drugs, before thay went out "bang'n", so really there is NO fear factor!!!

You can conceal that? Other than in the back of a van or truck?

You know full well how observant most people are. Throw a cover over it and walk down the street. It'd get a few odd looks, but no one would know what it was. Minus the BDU's, of course.

That's a bad factor to use in determining a carry gun. If you have to draw your pistol, you should be past the point where intimidation matters. If you have the time and distance for intimidation to be a factor, then you have the time and distance to use a rifle or shotgun. And very few things on earth are more intimidating than a 12ga.

Honestly I have to say that if a BG feels he has "the jump" on you that only a muzzle blast will change their intentions. Being aware of your surroundings, especially a potential threat, and being obviously prepared to draw and defend may deter....

But in the spirit of this thread, I will suggest that any duty grade weapon is superior to a miniscule weapon. But if you pull out your NAA 22 Magnum and ask them if they feel lucky, they'll flee before the well do ya, punk.

Guest chaplain tom
Honestly I have to say that if a BG feels he has "the jump" on you that only a muzzle blast will change their intentions. Being aware of your surroundings, especially a potential threat, and being obviously prepared to draw and defend may deter....

But in the spirit of this thread, I will suggest that any duty grade weapon is superior to a miniscule weapon. But if you pull out your NAA 22 Magnum and ask them if they feel lucky, they'll flee before the well do ya, punk.

Very good point...

Somehow, just the sight of a tiny little revolver doesn't impress me as something that would strike fear into the heart of any man.

That's why I don't worry about appearance - rather caliber, ammo selection, weapon reliability, and whether or not I can hit the target.

If I'm to the point I need to draw a weapon, then the time for intimidation is long gone. Then I'm pulling the iron that I have the most confidence in. And I'm confident with all my pistols, otherwise they belong to someone else.

For some thug hopped up on some drug there is no such thing as fear factor. These people have been known to jump straight on at a person they know will shoot them holding a shotgun. Once the gun comes out they will get one last command to back off. If they don't you probably have no choice left.

Guest chaplain tom

Some VERY good points about intimidation not being a factor in the self defense scenario. But in the SPIRIT of the thread, I still believe the ONLY gun I'd trust to SCARE somebody in his right mind would be a sawed off double barrel 12 guage. The key phrase is "IN THEIR RIGHT MIND". But most BG's ARE NOT in their RIGHT MINDS, so just go ahead and shoot them and don't worry about if HE was SCARED...or not.