Why are people so scared?

Guest ADAM

well like I said he disarmed the man forcefully. And no I didnt think about pulling my piece for the fact I didnt feel like my life was truly threated.And yes we are rather big and burly looking men, but all are truly teddy bears at heart.

an angry man pulls a gun on you and you didn't feel your life was in danger......you one bad moe foe. I don't think you need a firearm, put it in the safe cause chance's are you'll never use it. JMTCW

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
I still don't believe the guy coming outside to tell them not to come back was instigating the situation. I don't believe his intentions were to start an altercation with three burly guys much less intend on pulling a gun. I do believe his intentions were to tell the three not to return and nothing more.

All I can guess is the old man was mentally unstable if these guys were so big, burly, and scary yet he chose to tell them never to return even though he had no right or authority to do so :wall:

All I can guess is the old man was mentally unstable if these guys were so big, burly, and scary yet he chose to tell them never to return even though he had no right or authority to do so :wall:

Never mind the fact he went after 3 guys with what sounds like a 2-shooter...

Talk about the math not being in your favor... sheesh!

Guest tnxdshooter
Never mind the fact he went after 3 guys with what sounds like a 2-shooter...

Talk about the math not being in your favor... sheesh!

Idiots they walk among us be vigilant.

Guest 1010011010
I dont have an HCP yet, don't do the cowboy shooting thing but I am comfortable in saying if a gun is already pointed at you you've kind of lost that battle. Maybe everyone else is a super fast draw or something but I wouldn't be looking for a contest versus drawing and pulling the trigger versus just pulling the trigger. Were I in that situation, I'd be furiously trying to defuse the situation.
It's possible the attacker thinks of the gun as a prop for intimidation and doesn't expect resistance. So even though he's got a gun pointed at you, he still hasn't made the decision to try to murder you. His first reaction to seeing that you're not complying with his threats may be to threaten you some more rather than shoot. In the time it takes him to comprehend what you're doing and switch gears from threatening murder to actually trying to do it may give you the time to defend yourself and stop the threat.

Then again, it may not. Then again, you may end up getting shot regardless of whether you cooperate. Use your judgment.

Guest tnxdshooter
It's possible the attacker thinks of the gun as a prop for intimidation and doesn't expect resistance. So even though he's got a gun pointed at you, he still hasn't made the decision to try to murder you. His first reaction to seeing that you're not complying with his threats may be to threaten you some more rather than shoot. In the time it takes him to comprehend what you're doing and switch gears from threatening murder to actually trying to do it may give you the time to defend yourself and stop the threat.

Then again, it may not. Then again, you may end up getting shot regardless of whether you cooperate. Use your judgment.

I would say that at least 80% of people that get shot dont die. It may be less than that or may be more than that but according to trauma doctors that have been interviewed very few people who are shot actually die.

Guest 1010011010
5. Unless you've had a gun drawn on you, you don't really know how you'd react, training or no training
This is true but the Internet-Tough-Guy-ism serves a purpose of allowing you to prepare for it mentally so you're more likely to follow training if you face the situation. No guarantee, of course, and certainly no guarantee that you won't feel bad for a long time about having to kill someone.

I jumped on the bandwagon before I completely read this thread. Most have made some very good points. Internet discussions, well they are just that. Most of us on this forum are trained no further than our carry permit and/or basic handgun safety courses. So, this type thing makes for great discussion. Here's the bottom line for me:

Fact #1: I am not afraid to die, 33 years ago I made a decision that guaranteed my existence in a better place. Therefore I look forward to it.

Fact #2: Before I started carrying, I talked my way out of some pretty sticky situations and was no worse for the wear.

Fact #3: I have bad ankles, bad knees, am a little overweight. I don't run like I use too. I don't take an ass whoopin like I use too.

Fact #4: Like someone said, no fights or extreme verbal conflicts while carrying.

Fact #5: I respect others, I am a gentleman.

Fact #6: I hope and pray I never am put in a situation where drawing a firearm is the decision. Then and ONLY then will I know what I will do.........

Guest 1010011010
I would say that at least 80% of people that get shot dont die. It may be less than that or may be more than that but according to trauma doctors that have been interviewed very few people who are shot actually die.
There's also the fact that getting shot isn't immediately incapacitating, even if the hit will eventually kill you. Outside of CNS hits, you're going to have a minimum of around 15 seconds to continue to act, and probably much longer, before you lose consciousness and/or die.

The level of internet tough guy necessary to suggest the average person should just shrug off being shot and keep fighting is a bit much even to me, but it's something to keep in mind for continuing threat assessment and the prudence of the "quit wriggling" standard of when the threat is stopped.

Edited by 1010011010
Derp
I wasn't there so have no idea what I'd have done, however... if the guy was pointing a derringer - and it wasn't cocked at the time - I can see where it was quite a bit less dangerous to disarm him than some of you seem to believe. Especially if the fellow was very close already.

Sounds to me like the crazy guy thought his gun was a magic wand, and really didn't have any intention of using it. Also sounds like that gun is probably responsible for him believing he needed to stick his nose where it really didn't belong, since I haven't read anything that gives me the impression that he had any business or authority to tell ANYONE to "never come back".

I also can't help but notice that the real idiot went to jail...

My thoughts have been running along the same lines this entire thread. I have played with a couple of Derringers in bigger calibers. First of all, they immediately show the shooter's intent. if the hammer is down, it's a paper weight. Cocking one isn't nearly as smooth and graceful as cocking a revolver. As I recall, I used both hands. If this story is true, it certainly isn't the first time somebody had their uncocked derringer taken away, and got a good slap in the process.

I have seen a few "free' pistols in my life that were taken away from folks under similar circumstances. Not saying it was smart, just saying it happens.

There's also the fact that getting shot isn't immediately incapacitating, even if the hit will eventually kill you. Outside of CNS hits, you're going to have a minimum of around 15 seconds to continue to act, and probably much longer, before you lose consciousness and/or die.

The level of internet tough guy necessary to suggest the average person should just shrug off being shot and keep fighting is a bit much even to me, but it's something to keep in mind for continuing threat assessment and the prudence of the "quit wriggling" standard of when the threat is stopped.

Never underestimate the effectiveness of the adrenal response to major trauma. Add to that the powerful drugs that some people are on these days and you very well could have a guy that doesn't notice and doesn't really give a damn that he just took a couple rounds.

Mike

Thread summary:

Idiots go to store.

Idiots are told by old man never to come back because they are immature.

Idiot approaches an older man and says to kiss his ass.

Old man is afraid and pulls his weapon to protect himself in case a gaggle of burly idiots attack.

Idiots still lose.

Someone ready to lock this yet?

The old guy followed them out to tell them to never return.

Just wanting to make this clear, the bolded statement above is what I am questioning, the old derringer guy, after the first incident was over and done with, started it back up afterwards as they left, as bolded below, therefore, the old derringer guy instigated the situation after it had already ended previously.

I was out with some friends the last night hanging stands and setting up blinds to hunt saturday, and we had stopped in at a little mom and pop to eat restaurant and as we are sitting there cuttin up and shootin the s*** a man comes over and tells us to "turn it down"

that we are being to loud. So we lowered our voices and carried on with our conversation. After we had finished eating and leaving we walked out the door and the man that had asked us to be quite followed us out the door and told us "dont ever come back." When he said that my buddy turned around and told the guy to kiss his ass. The man then said "I have something for you to kiss" and pulled what appeared to be a .22 derringer and pointed it at him. you could plain tell tell that this man was scared, but wasn't willing to shoot. J.R walked straight up to him and quickly disarmed the man in a rather forcefully fashion. He took the mans gun put it in the truck and called the cops. When they showed up they arrested the man for agrevatted assault and told us this wasnt the first time hes been arrested for this. We gave the cops the pistol and went on our merry way. I dont understand why the first thing people do is pull a pistol. What ever happened to taking a good ole ass whoopin? I've always been taught that you dont pull your gun unless you intend to destroy whats in front of you.

Whats your guys opinion?

I do need to clarify a few things. One is that yes he is lucky that he wasn't shot but I never said he was the sharpest knife in the drawer. He is one of my friends that I've literally known all my life and yes if it is the unexpected thats what hes going to do. Second there wasn't any need for him to follow us out side when we had done what the man asked inside. And besides the guy would have felt funny with three .45' pointed at him but I never thought about drawing.

Adam even mentioned it in a second post that they complied with the request earlier, it was done, then they left, and old derringer guy came out after them.

I also thought I read, that this guy was not an owner or worker of the restaurant, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Oh well, the whole story, both sides, is full of FAIL.

Guest mustangdave

Why are folks scared?...to bring it back to the question...look around you...things are going to hell in a hand basket...at a rather rapid rate of increase. Our country is going INSANE from political correctness...to much BIG GOVERNMENT...not enough common sense. I could go on...

Just to clarify a few things I wasnt able to post over weekend due to hunting and my computer crapped out on me.

1. We did exactly what the man requested when he asked us to be quite, and anyway there was nobody else in the diner except us and him. Nothing else was said either to us or him until we walked out the door, remember he followed us out.

2. We are not the type of guys who make a scene and try and be noticed while out in public, we keep to ourselves.

3. If telling someone to "kiss your ass" offends you especially when your the one who confronts us then so be it, I bet that you are offended easy.

4. Yes he was an idiot for disarming the man, but the buddy who diarmed him has had years of training in the Army and is currently home on the from Afganistan.

With all of this said I appreciate all the responses that I got, didn't think it would be this many. Some I agree with and some I don't, but I do respect everyones opinion. I think that we handled ourselves in a respectful manner which allowed everybody to go home that evening. As for the man we stopped back in by the diner Sunday after hunting and the owner said that about an hour after we left that the man was released since none of us pressed any charges on him.

And to quote Forrest Gump "thats all I have to say about that."

Just to clarify a few things I wasnt able to post over weekend due to hunting and my computer crapped out on me.

1. We did exactly what the man requested when he asked us to be quite, and anyway there was nobody else in the diner except us and him. Nothing else was said either to us or him until we walked out the door, remember he followed us out.

2. We are not the type of guys who make a scene and try and be noticed while out in public, we keep to ourselves.

3. If telling someone to "kiss your ass" offends you especially when your the one who confronts us then so be it, I bet that you are offended easy.

4. Yes he was an idiot for disarming the man, but the buddy who diarmed him has had years of training in the Army and is currently home on the from Afganistan.

With all of this said I appreciate all the responses that I got, didn't think it would be this many. Some I agree with and some I don't, but I do respect everyones opinion. I think that we handled ourselves in a respectful manner which allowed everybody to go home that evening. As for the man we stopped back in by the diner Sunday after hunting and the owner said that about an hour after we left that the man was released since none of us pressed any charges on him.

And to quote Forrest Gump "thats all I have to say about that."

Did the derringer dude work for the establishment?

Why the hell not did yall press charges. Next time this guy could shoot someone. Again, if dude pulls a gun on me and he and I both are still living at then end, whether any bullets are shot or not, I'll be pressing charges. He could have forgotten his stay sane med's and actually pull the trigger. what if it is your mother and her friends that are being "too loud", what about your girlfriend, wife, girlfriends wife, brother, whatever?

Again, I just don't understand.

When you call the Police in Tennessee do you get to choose if someone gets arrested that just committed a felony? Why was the man taken anywhere if that was the case? I assume he was taken away to jail because he was under arrest?

Help me understand how this works. Because where I was from you are not going to commit aggravated assault with a firearm and walk away because no one wants to get involved. Where was this?

:screwy:

Guest 1010011010
As for the man we stopped back in by the diner Sunday after hunting and the owner said that about an hour after we left that the man was released since none of us pressed any charges on him.
What was the rationale for not pressing charges against the guy who threatened/attempted to murder you?
  • Administrator
When you call the Police in Tennessee do you get to choose if someone gets arrested that just committed a felony? Why was the man taken anywhere if that was the case? I assume he was taken away to jail because he was under arrest?

Help me understand how this works. Because where I was from you are not going to commit aggravated assault with a firearm and walk away because no one wants to get involved. Where was this?

:usa:

Like I said... something about this whole story smells.

Unless something has changed in the past decade, the victim doesn't have to "press charges" in a felony assault case any more than the victim of domestic violence does. A person waving a gun at people goes to jail, then before a judge or magistrate.

In this case though, I have to wonder if the fellow simply bonded out and has to appear later.

( I'm not saying this whole story is true or false, only that I can see where it's possible, and that someone is mistaken - or lying - about why certain things happened. The folks at the restaurant may believe or have been told by the fellow that he was cut loose due to no one pressing charges. That don't mean that's how it really is though. )

Edited by Jamie

Interesting thread. I didn't read anywhere that the gun with the derringer was old, I may have missed it. Not that it makes a difference to me.

I've had several guns pointed at me and walked away every time. Most of the time it was police officers. I kept a cool head and luckily for me so did they. The times it wasn't police was when I was a kid( maybe 11 or 12) A farmer chased us off his field with salt loads in his shotgun. He was very far away but one of my friends got hit by a few bits. I honestly think he just wanted to put the fear of god into us and it worked. We were hangin' out at an old family cemetery. No we didn't sue because we were in the wrong! My dad would have worn my backside out if he found out what happened. The other non police incident was a house party when I was 14. Dad came home to find his daughter hosting a party without his knowledge and chased us all off with a shotgun. We all cleared out before he cleared his bedroom door.