S&W Model 19

Guest Old.Hickory.Shooter

Guest Old.Hickory.Shooter

My dad has a K-frame model 19 S&W .357 mag. My wife went to the range with us yesterday and she shot it and loved it. This is pretty monumental in that she has never found a handgun she likes to shoot. She is definitely a revolver person so autoloaders are out (for now). Anyway, from what I can surmise on the S&W site they don't make the model 19 anymore. Any recommendations on what would be a comparable revolver. It doesn't have to be S&W, but wouldn't hurt if it was. Also it is the 6" barrel that we are looking for.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a fan of the Ruger, the GP100 comes in .357MAG, and I am certain a 6" barrel. The trigger is known to be a little grittier than a S&W, but still a very fine weapon.

There is also the possibility of grabbing a Police Trade-In S&W Model 64 or 15 from JG for a nice price, they are .38SPL only though.

Model 19’s are still readily available in the used market (They are Model 66’s in stainless). The next generation of that revolver was the 586 and 686. There are many variations and model numbers.

Smith & Wesson owns the revolver market. You can buy cheaper but you can’t buy better. With all the guns forums and sale sites it’s getting hard to find deals, but some are still out there.

Your wife obviously knows class and quality when she sees it; you are lucky.

By first duty gun was a Model 19. Police Officer price on it was $175. :)

Edited by DaveTN

That's funny my wife has taken possession of my Mdl 19. She says it is my only gun that looks like areal gun. As others have said the 686 is one modern incarnations of the 19. All K/L frames are the same size framed gun. The model # all designates finishes, barrel types etc. They are out there, you will see them from time to time at gunshows. There was nice 686 on here in the classifieds a while back.

If you do find an older K frame .357 be aware that they can/will develop a crack in the barrel at the bottom of the forcing cone area, the flat cut area near where the crane closes in,..this is the reason for the L frame which is not cut there

other than that,... load it shoot it ..repeat as necessary they will cause you to want more.. I have several S&W revolvers and a M-19 with a cracked forcing cone but it was a PPC conversion I shot steel matches with.. a 4+ Lbs. .357 doesn't recoil much someday I will have it rebarreled until then the M-586 will keep the .357s sounding off..

John

Dad picked up a 6 in 19 and a 4 inch 28 Smith for $250 each off people at work. There are some great lightly used guns out there if you can run up on a deal. Take your time and wait for the right deal to find you. Tell your friends your looking for one and it will come to you.

As stated, M19's are readily available if you have cash. I just picked up a 4" 19-3 (early 70's) in like new condition for $300. Last year I did the same on a 4" 686. Patience is one thing but you do have to hunt diligently to find deals. Dealers really ask high dollars for these guns and and those that frequent gun forums do as well. the going retail rate is about $450 to $550 depending on condition so when you can find them for $400 or less in exc+ to new condition is when you want to jump on them. There are some other factors. The original wood grips are worth quite a bit so if they have been removed that hurts value. You probably will not run into the cracked forcing cone issue as very few K frames were shot that much with light bullet 357 loads which is what caused that issue. Most people can't afford to shoot that much. You do need to watch out for guns that have been "worked on" as many have had shade tree trigger jobs. Check the screws on the side plate, if they are buggered up I would pass. Or have it checked by someone that knows SW revolvers.

Aside from the Colt Python, there has probably never been a standard production double-action revolver with such a nice trigger as the S&W 19. I would not hesitate to buy a used one that had a nice, tight lock-up and good condition barrel. As mentioned above, it takes a long, steady diet of high-pressure .357 loads to cause a problem with the frame. And the ones that shot that much high-pressure ammo usually have other issues as well. Look for lead build-up on the forcing cone and flame cutting of the top-strap as these are typical signatures of high round count with high-pressure ammo.

My experience has been that you cannot substitute 'similar' models for what your wife likes. If she likes a 6" barrel S&W 19, get her exactly that.

I have all three barrel lengths of the M-19, with the correct grip's they are wonderful revolver's to spend time on the range with. Finding one is only a bit of search time away, put the word out in local gun shop's and pawn shop's, one will turn up. Hold out for a pinned barrel model if you can, they have the best apperance IMMO.