Buying a new shotgun for HD?

Guest firemedic J

While I have no experience with the Protector I do have a Pardner Pump and in some ways consider it superior to the 870 Express. For a shotgun that is seldom used it fits my needs perfectly (Turkey shoot once a year). The bolt is chromed, the stock is walnut and the only plastic to be found on it is the magazine plug. The receiver is blued and action smooth.

I am only speaking to the quality of the NEF shotguns. There are differences between the PP and Protector.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When someone can prove to me that my NEF is a POS, then I'll sell it and get something else. Till then, it's a keeper. :up:

Why would anyone try to prove that? If someone buys an 870 over the NEF, it ain't really about the guns. I thought the action on the NEF felt better. I bought the 870 'cause... it's an 870.

When someone can prove to me that my NEF is a POS, then I'll sell it and get something else. Till then, it's a keeper. :D

Relax. No one said that your gun is a POS, just that the real thing doesn't cost that much more. Isn't it wonderful that there are lots of different guns and we don't all have to buy the same thing?

A lot of good information offered in these threads. I am an advocate for the benelli line. I have two Super Nova Tacticals with pistol grip and ghost ring sights. I find the SNT very light, smooth and I like the ergonomics of this Benelli model. you may want to check out the pricing before you make a final decision. In any case, best of luck.

All:_______________

Check this out for HD: Cimarron Model 1897 12 Gauge Pump Action, $480

It's a 20 inch Cimmaron copy of the old Winchester 1897 Hammer type pump; the original "trench sweeper". Model 97's are my favorite pump shotgun.

They are made in china; but i bet they are the real thing. We have used 2 or 3 cimmaron percussion revolvers extensively. They are well finished, tough,

and accurate.

Couldn't resist!! Bunches of CAS shooters cant be wrong on this one!!!

Leroy

Widespread support for a Chinese knockoff..Interesting.
Why buy a chinese made ripoff when you can get a police trade-in on the real thing?

I'm surprised at the responses supporting a Chinese manufacturer over a domestically produced shotgun as well. Surely 25-50 dollars would be worth owning something that was made here in America.

Mike

I'm surprised at the responses supporting a Chinese manufacturer over a domestically produced shotgun as well. Surely 25-50 dollars would be worth owning something that was made here in America.

Mike

You sure that they are made here, or that all the components are made here? Are they assembled here?

All Remington firearms and components are made and assembled in the USA.

They have plants in Ilion, New York; Hazen, Arkansas; Mayfield, Kentucky; an R&D facility in Elizabethtown, Kentucky and is headquartered in Madison, North Carolina.

Mike

All Remington firearms and components are made and assembled in the USA.

They have plants in Ilion, New York; Hazen, Arkansas; Mayfield, Kentucky; an R&D facility in Elizabethtown, Kentucky and is headquartered in Madison, North Carolina.

Mike

Yeah, but do they have any Chinese guys working for them? :rolleyes:

I thought Wally World had 870s below $300. I have a Mossberg 500 20 ga with a pistol grip. I just want it to go bang if I need it to.

You can generally get a basic 870 Express with long barrel and 4+1 capacity for well under $300 either at Wally's or on sale/rebate at Dick's, Academy, whatever.

You can add a separate 18" barrel afterward, and have both a HD and hunting/sporting shottie for well under $400, a good way to go if you want both.

- OS

Academy has 870’s on sale for $230 after $30 mail-in rebate in their ad today.

Wow, that's almost same as best pricing I heard of a year ago, even.

I got one for about 250 out the door from Dick's, was such a good deal I just stashed it unshot as a spare against the ZA.

- OS

Guest firemedic J

I've been reading alot about the Remington 870 not ejecting properly, and also about the rust issue. Have not read about any of these issues with the Mossberg's, Only thing i could find is with the fore end rattles a bit.

I've been reading alot about the Remington 870 not ejecting properly, and also about the rust issue. Have not read about any of these issues with the Mossberg's, Only thing i could find is with the fore end rattles a bit.

Not ejecting properly is a syptom of *****footing around with the pump. Rack it like you mean it.

But to borrow the logic of some here who like to carry mouseguns instead of service caliber weapons, it's better than nothing, right? :)

Yes, because if it fails you still have a club. Then it’s truly all about “Shot Placementâ€.

leaving.gif

Guest FiddleDog

I can see why people would choose not purchasing something because it's made poorly and mass produced, which the NEF PP is not. I can also see why someone would avoid buying things from particular country over another because of that country's policies and practices. Let's not confuse the people with the policy. Throwing around "chinaman" might not be "waisist." It's uncalled for and at the end of the day it's intentionally demeaning.

Back to point, I personally would rather have an 870.

Guest RichieRich
I have to second the NEF Pardner Protector. Or third it as it may be. I got mine for $200 OTD at Dicks a while back, it replaced a SxS Coach Gun. I have run a couple hundred rounds through it now, from low brass bird shot, to 3" 00 Buck. It is reliable, easy to operate, and best of all, cheap.

It is a Chinese clone of the 870, I have read somewhere that it is made by Hawk. The barrel and receiver are not exact, but the stocks, magazine tube, and triggers are all 870.

I like mine, and I trust it. It hasn't given me any indication that it is less than functional.

The only issue I have with it is the finish. After use, make sure you clean it very thoroughly, it will get surface rust if you sneeze in it's general direction. I shot it one day, didn't clean it, put it up and pulled it out a week later to clean it with everything else, and it had a thin layer of surface rust on the receiver. It wiped right off, and after a good cleaning, and a liberal application of Remoil, it has been fine since.

Just got one today at Dick's. Was looking for a 2nd HD shotgun so I can have one on each level of the house (just cuz I'm paranoid doesn't mean Memphis isn't dangerous).

$206 out the door with tax and background check.

Can anyone confirm that the stocks fit 870? I was thinking about getting a Knoxx recoil reduction stock with pistol grip.