Buying a new shotgun for HD?

Guest firemedic J

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEF Parder Protector. On sale for $179.98 at Dick's through Saturday.

5-shot, 3" 12 gauge pump, 18.5" barrel.

It's a knock-off of the Remington 870 but is of very good quality, that's the good news. Bad news is they are made in China and 870 parts are not 100% interchangeable.

Or you could look for a used 870 Police Magnum. Police trade-ins are often found at very reasonable prices.

Edited by Garufa

Our Classified section would be a good place to look. You could always post a "want add" as well.....

My choices would be...(not in this order)

Mossberg 500, Maveric 88 or Remy 870......read about them, then pick your poison. You won't go wrong with either of these three.

I have a 20ga 870 youth model that doubles as an HD gun and my lady friend's gun for busting some clays. If I were going to make it a dedicated HD gun, I would put a mag extension and a light and go with it. I like that it is not only short in the barrel but also in the shoulder stock. Either way, full size or not, I am a fan of the 870, but don't take anyone's word on it. Put your hands on some before deciding on one.

I think you would be surprised how well a 20 guage would do. 1/3 the kick, with 3/4 the knockdown power. I have one in a pistol grip and it is great. I'm selling it now to get another one that costs a lot more. I'll propably regret it.

20g buckshot is just as effective as 12g buckshot. Knock down power is bull****. Shot placement is king. I won't go into how dumb a pistol grip is as we have had that argument more than a few times.

I would recommend a good 870. As has been said you can find used police guns for a great deal and most have not been shot a whole lot outside of dept yearly qualifications.

Whatever route you go with. Once you buy it, shoot it. A lot. put at least 200 rounds through it at target from 3-4 feet to 50 yards minimum. Find out how it patterns at different distances. Learn how to reload it, quickly and under stress. Shotguns are like revolvers. Short on ammo and slow to reload. So get good at it.

And some of the best advice I can give you. Get to a class. Run the gun, find out your weak points, and fix them.

And please ask any questions you may have. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Mike

Not much has changed in 60 years; it’s still the Remington 870. Pick them up most anywhere that sells guns.

You are talking about something you will rely on when someone is trying to kill you or your family. That’s not the time I would want a cheap chinaman knock-off.

NEF Parder Protector. On sale for $179.98 at Dick's through Saturday.

5-shot, 3" 12 gauge pump, 18.5" barrel.

It's a knock-off of the Remington 870 but is of very good quality, that's the good news. Bad news is they are made in China and 870 parts are not 100% interchangeable.

Or you could look for a used 870 Police Magnum. Police trade-ins are often found at very reasonable prices.

I have to second the NEF Pardner Protector. Or third it as it may be. I got mine for $200 OTD at Dicks a while back, it replaced a SxS Coach Gun. I have run a couple hundred rounds through it now, from low brass bird shot, to 3" 00 Buck. It is reliable, easy to operate, and best of all, cheap.

It is a Chinese clone of the 870, I have read somewhere that it is made by Hawk. The barrel and receiver are not exact, but the stocks, magazine tube, and triggers are all 870.

I like mine, and I trust it. It hasn't given me any indication that it is less than functional.

The only issue I have with it is the finish. After use, make sure you clean it very thoroughly, it will get surface rust if you sneeze in it's general direction. I shot it one day, didn't clean it, put it up and pulled it out a week later to clean it with everything else, and it had a thin layer of surface rust on the receiver. It wiped right off, and after a good cleaning, and a liberal application of Remoil, it has been fine since.

Because it works.

That's a great answer, but with used 870 express models available so cheaply, the appeal of the knock-offs is lost on me. I think a small premium is worth it to be able to interchange barrels with the real thing. Used 870 barrels are easy to find.

Edited by JReedEsq
Why buy a chinese made ripoff when you can get a police trade-in on the real thing?

When I bought my NEF PP, I had been researching the 870, and decided that was the route I was going to go. I had read about the PP and thought it was alright, but I wanted the 870, the name is better. I couldn't find an 870 in town with anything shorter than a 28" barrel, or cheaper than $350.

I was in Dicks, and taking a look at what they had, when I saw the PP. I was with a buddy, and I told him half as a joke "If you buy one, I will buy one."

We both took them home that night.

I have been more than pleased with mine, and at $200 OTD, I don't think I did that bad either.