Where to buy LCP, store or Bud's?

Kelemvor

I'm going to be getting an LCP soon, but I don't know where to get it from. I have had good experiences with Budsgunshop.com, but I like to help out local businesses. I called around to some places and got prices and then compared with Bud's.

Cheapest I've found in town:

Retail $319.99

+9.25% tax

=$349.59

+$10 NICS

=$359.59

Buying from Bud's:

Retail $284.00

+$0 tax

+$0 shipping

+$1.10 money order

+$10 FFL transfer

+$10 NICS

=$305.10

Difference:

$54.49

I want to help local businesses, but not $54.49 worth. I also don't see the store service being worth $54.49. Should I try to make a deal with the store owner? I'd be willing to pay more than internet prices, of course, but only within reason. I dunno, what do you guys think?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried Guns & Leather in Greenbrier? Bet they save you $20 or so. Either way, I have bought from Buds and for the most part have had positive experiences. Hard to beat their prices but still prefer to buy local when I can.

Edited by DavidD

Guns & Leather is one of the first places I call about guns locally. They seem like they run a tight operation up there and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

One thing that just blows my mind about all the stores here in town though, is that I could order the gun from Bud's get it shipped to their store, pay the typically high $35 transfer fee plus $10 NICS and still come out saving money rather than buying it straight from the store.

Guns & Leather is one of the first places I call about guns locally. They seem like they run a tight operation up there and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

One thing that just blows my mind about all the stores here in town though, is that I could order the gun from Bud's get it shipped to their store, pay the typically high $35 transfer fee plus $10 NICS and still come out saving money rather than buying it straight from the store.

I know, it is amazing that Buds is soo cheap. One thing I often do is to use their pricing as a guide and make the local shops cash offers. They usually get close & I've had G&L even beat Buds price on several occasions. I still have to pay tax + NICS but avoid the wait, get the gun I'm holding and support the local guys. If I can't get close, I order from Buds. BTW, one thing you left out is Insurance. I always pay the extra few $ when ordering from them for the insurance but that's just me.

Hi there,

This subject touches a nerve with me. Have you held one? Have you shot one? If so, where? A local business? There is no doubt that the internet shops can give a good deal - - because they have none of the ovehead that the local stores have. I am not in this industry, but I am in sales, and I get very frustrated at going out, generating the business, and having the customer buy from the lowest internet company out there. There IS a value to supporting you local businesses, not to mention the follow up. A few bucks extra to your local gun store not only helps your local economy, but may help you with support customer service headaches later. Heck, if nothing else, pay the 10.00 for a transfrer to you local store.

ok, it's all good. Rant over.... :-)

I would rather pay a little bit more locally than ordering, waiting, transfering, etc.. I figure my local dealer will be there when I need a f avor. IE= a little tweaking, a break on ammo or holster price, etc. Buy local unless it's stupid. Even then, let your local dealer know have a chance to meet the price!

Seems a little unfair -- the internet guys have to pay phone operators, web design/programmers, computer servers, warehouse, and more. They beat the price of local for two reasons: they buy in bulk and sell in bulk at a small profit margin, and they do not add a bunch of "haggle price" on top of each item. The local guys seem to WANT you to sit there for half an hour trying to get a better deal, trying to make you feel like they did you a favor by dropping an inflated price a little bit. Gee, thanks for nothing.

The local guy has advantages too. The web guy has to ship it to a FFL who charges you a fee, and you have to pay more shipping (the dealer can get better rates usually). So all the local guy has to do is beat the price of these fees, or be within a small margin of the web price + fees, to compete. Why can so many of them not do this? Ammo at most local shops is as much as twice what can be had on the web. Heck, if people PAY that for ammo, I could open an ammo only store, buy it off the web, double the price, and get rich...

I want to buy local, and I do when I can, but only when the price is fair. Most of the time that means no ammo, and very, very careful with the other purchases. The guns are actually the best thing to get locally, because of the mentioned support. If a gun mucks up, its at least $50 and a month to get it fixed at the manufacturer, just due to the overnight shipping tax that carriers charge with their anti-gun rules. Ammo, scopes, and other gear that can be shipped 1 week ground style are much better deals off the web, and until the local guys can lower the price a little, the web or walmart will be my source for the other goods. I hate to be that way, but if I bought ammo locally I would lose hundreds of dollars a year, and thats too much.

I want local guys to do well, but at the same time, I *have* to spend my money wisely. Ya know?

I've not used an FFL for transfers in over 20 years. I can't remember, do you save the sales tax if it comes from out of state or does the FFL charge tax on it too?

The seller must collect sales tax if they have a presence in the destination state. Presence would be a store, warehouse, office, etc. That's true of all Internet purchases, not just firearms. In cases where sales tax is not collected by the seller, officially, the buyer is supposed to fill out a TN Dept of Revenue form and mail in the sales tax. Just because the seller doesn't have a duty to collect the tax doesn't mean it isn't owed to the state by the buyer. I'm sure we all keep copies of those forms handy.:stick:

The FFL won't collect the sales tax because they are not the seller.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest highvoltage

i myself like to buy local to support them if the price is reasonable. and if you have a problem you can go back to them. i just had a grip crack on a new gun from my shop and there taking care of it for me. doing all the calling and shipping worth it to me to pay a little extra.

I'm all about supporting local businesses but, in this case, we are talking about a 17% premium to do so. I'm not sure I want to pay 17% more for firearms, which are already a big ticket item in my world.

I guess I'm just saying that everyone seems says they are willing to pay "a little" extra but not what they consider "a little" to be. I tend to think that 15% to 20% (which seems to be the going difference in brick & mortar vs. internet sales on guns) is more than "a little". Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Monkeylizard. That makes sense. We bought some furniture from NC (over the phone) a few years ago, and the store had no presence in TN. No sales tax charged by the seller. A couple of years later, the TN dept of Revenue sent us a bill, along with an opportunity to pay the taxes with no penelty, if done within 30 days. It was $300 or so. We paid it and that was it. I suspect on smaller items, it's not worth their effort to collect.

I guess the FFL is just the transfer agent. I didn't stop to think the payment for the gun and shipping charges is the responsibility of the buyer, not the FFL.

Thanks.

Guest buttonhook

I like to support my local shops when I can and I have bought from both local and from bud's. I even went up there and they do have a very nice store and indoor range in lexington. You can buy long guns there out of state but not handguns. they also do have most of what they sell in the shop on display. So they are not really just a store front with no overhead, only paying an operator to answer the phone. I had alot of questions before I bought the gun I did and they answered everyone of them. That being said I always give the local shop a chance to meet or beat the price I find online. If they can get close out the door and they can alot of the time I will always buy locally. That being said I have no problem buying online either. I saved $200 vs buying my walther pps from the local shop. that is enough to make me buy online everytime.

Guest Sgt. Joe

My store's marked prices are very consistent with those of Buds and they never charge me the marked price.

They have told me that they will meet any internet price that I can find if they can get the same weapon.

Of course I still pay our sales tax that way but I also like the idea of supporting the local shops. And while the state may not at present be paying much attention to lowered priced items bought online, just like a previous poster noted, they can find out and if they do we could be liable to pay those taxes at some point anyway.

I also like the idea that if I do have a problem that my store will take care of the sending the gun back for me. I have yet to buy a firearm online but that does not mean I am totally against the idea and I may well buy online in the future should my store not be able to get something I want.