Has anyone actually been caught in a "DMZ"?

I'm not trying to troll or start anything.

The carry past the hospital sign thread got me thinking. Has anyone here or a "friend" actually been caught in a posted place whilst carrying?

In the other thread the response was that you'd probably just be asked to leave. Is that true?

Any LEOs here ever been called one someone? If so, what did you do? Or have you heard or even discussed what to do?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***PLEASE READ***

Ok...after even a bit more discussion this thread will be allowed to continue.

However....Do not discuss, intentionally and knowingly breaking the law.

I believe what the OP is looking for are situations where you have carried past what appeared to be non-properly posted signs and/or postings (proper or not) that you did not see and then were found out to be armed. Then what happened after that point. Please keep post on that subject.

Thanks....

Edited by Fallguy

Someone I know was caught in a Germantown restaurant sitting at the bar eating but not drinking alcohol. He was "made" because he walked out of another business, went to his car, put on his gun, then walked into a restaurant in same parking lot, and someone saw him do it. This was a couple of years ago before the current law and it was not legal to carry in the restaurant because they served alcohol. Someone called the G-town police. They (one of the officers) asked him if he had a permit, he said yes, they said ok and left. Apprently, they told the owner or whoever that he was legal even though techincally he wasn't.

I had to go to a minor med place in the Memphis area that was not properly posted per law because the signs were not on both entrances. I was carrying my snub as usual and had to empty my pockets for a medical test. I whispered to the nurse that I had a gun and showed her my handgun carry permit to be discrete and not scare her (didn't want her to think i was one of the Memphis area illegal carrying thugs with a 'piece' in my pocket). Everything was cool and she just let me put the gun on a table and I covered it up, did my test in the bathroom, discretely put the gun back in my pocket. I was told by the nurse she had folks carrying in the minor med all the time and it wasn't a big deal. I didn't mention the silly sign. I just thanked her and went about my business.

not exactly but a good story.

wife had a second part time job at local kmart as customer service manager (she's about 5'3" 120 lbs). a couple came in and the male was open carrying which many noticed and of course a few people didn't like. (i've never looked for postings there but she says it is). none of the other employees wanted to approach him so the wife approached the couple and told him the situation and that open carry is really frowned upon in a nice way. the male went outside and reappeared not showing a gun. as the couple was checking out she smiled, pulled out her hcp and said thank you, the guy grinned.

The only "DMZ"s I've seen were in SE Asia many years ago. I will honor a business having to right to tell me my weapon is not welcome, but I'll politely inform them that I choose to carry and that I'll find a place that appreciates my business.

• Administrator

I'm sure that in all actuality a lot of otherwise law abiding citizens have accidentally carried into places they shouldn't have all across the country wherever carry permits are issued. MANY establishments don't post conspicuously, don't post properly or just don't post at all despite the owner's intent that carry not be allowed there. Oddly enough, the world has never come to an end when it's happened either. Perhaps carry permit holders are generally more responsible than what they are given credit for, and their handguns didn't accidentally start shooting up these places.

That said, it's my personal belief that a carry permit holder's worst enemy is often themselves when it comes to disclosing that they are carrying, particularly even where they are allowed to do so. I'm not sure if we were just conditioned so much as "sheeple" that guns are bad and carrying one is wrong that we just give ourselves away with guilty behavior, but it's a damn good theory.

Of course some folks just can't resist fiddling with their carry piece during those first few months of legal carry. They tug at it, pat it to make sure it's there, constantly adjust their cover garments, adjust the holster, talk about it to anyone who will listen, show their carry permit as a form of photo ID at the cash register, etc. It's all crap I did when I was new at this, and I know I've seen countless others do it too.

The point is, we get made more often than not because we lack discretion -- and that means anywhere. Where we're permitted to carry and also 30 minutes deep into a shopping mall when the realization suddenly hits us that the sign at the food court says weapons are prohibited and has a gun buster symbol on it. Of course, gang bangers and thugs would never disobey a sign, so clearly we should run out to our cars and dispose of our carry piece... but that's a rant for another day.

So, anyway.... the moral of the story? Exercise discretion and watch for those signs.

Guest archerdr1

didn't get caught, but Black Friday my wife and I went to the local Toys R us to buy a swing set for the boys. I carried my "Little Friends" with me due to the crap that happens almost every year at that time. (I should inform everyone that this was the first and LAST time I will do the whole black friday sale thing) We went in, got our stuff, and left. Yesterday I went out and met my brother who was on his way back to mississippi and decided to eat at Olive Garden. My son saw Toys R us, or in his words "Toys and us" and as I entered the front doors, I noticed that the set of inside doors is posted. I went to my car, disarmed, (would have left completely, but try to tell a three yr old that is so excited about going there that you are not going) and came back in. I did, however, make it a point to my wife and kids, right in front of the manager, that "we will not be buying anything in this store because they make honest citizens put their guns in their cars when we come in to make a purchase at their store". Yeah, won't be going there anymore.

Thanks for reopening this thread and that was a good post David.

I believe what the OP is looking for are situations where you have carried past what appeared to be non-properly posted signs and/or postings (proper or not) that you did not see and then were found out to be armed. Then what happened after that point.

Exactly what I was hoping we could learn from each other. You worded it better than I did.

It seems either no one whats to share or it's pretty rare to get confronted in a posted place.

I wasn't sure if you'd just be asked to leave or if you'd go directly to jail.

Edited by aquaman67

Repeating myself to your comment in the other thread:

"We have yet to find any documentation of ANYone being charged with it, under the previous OR current statute."

- OS

Go to jail?!?! It's only a misdemeanor even if it is a valid sign. Punishable by fine only.

But also as was said in another thread. Since it is a misdemeanor to even be cited in the first place the violation would have to happen in front of a LEO for him to cite you. If you were no longer in the posted area, there really isn't much he could do. Now the owner could prosecute himself if he chose to, but I say the odds of that are unlikely. But even if you are still in the posted area and the officer could cite you, I imagine he is going to ask the property owner what he wants, which is going to be for you to just leave 99.9% of the time in my non-professional information.

I may be wrong, but isn't it more than just a misdemeanor? Don't you also lose your privilege to carry legally?

We don't know. No test case we know of.

Depends on how 39-17-1352 is enforced. Or not.

Or if the convicting court notifies TNDOS. And whether the notice finds anyone awake.

Like that. TN weapons laws are very clear indeed.

- OS

Go to jail?!?! It's only a misdemeanor even if it is a valid sign. Punishable by fine only.

Come on now. How many people have only been guilty of a misdemeanor and talked themselves into a ride downtown?

Or better yet, tried to run? The TV show COPS would have ended after the first season!

Come on now. How many people have only been guilty of a misdemeanor and talked themselves into a ride downtown?

Or better yet, tried to run? The TV show COPS would have ended after the first season!

LOL...ok good point.

Don't know how many times I've seen the officer tell someone they can go and they won't shut up and leave....

Yep, I entered Matthew Walker Clinic to pick someone up. The entrance was posted as "No Concealed Deadly Weapons", so I open carried. The security guard confronted me and demanded my HCP, I told him no.

I then asked if he wanted me to leave, he said no. Then he called the cops who proceded to violate my civil rights and leave my firearm unattended in a half full waiting room (near a person supposedly dangerous enough to be disarmed in the first place).

I filed a complaint and MNPD blew the whole thing off... as usual.

Edited by Glock30Owner
LOL...ok good point.

Don't know how many times I've seen the officer tell someone they can go and they won't shut up and leave....

I've had people that weren't even involved in the call/reason the police were there to begin with go to jail because... they... just... couldn't... shut... the... hell... UP. :)

I've been caught, jailed, charged, confiscated, and finally dismissed.

I violated the don't go stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things rule. I got burned, and it's my own fault.

Fortunately for me I was able to get everything dismissed and was able to return to normal life.

Mike

Edited by Mike

I violated the don't go stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things rule. I got burned, and it's my own fault.

Fortunately for me I was able to get everything dismissed and was able to return to normal life.

Mike

I've read on here several times and been told once that this has never happened in TN so we don't know how it will play out. Now, I guess we do. At least in this instance.

Mike

When was this, if you don't mind telling? Under the current laws or the old ones? Not that it really matters, just curious.

I asked a Murfreesboro cop about this and he said the policy is to ask the person to leave. If the person refused (he’s not aware of anyone doing that) they would be arrested for trespass. I guess at that point they could be cited as well.