The new hotness: Smith & Wesson M&P45 4-inch

TGO David

• Administrator

I present, my new hotness...

1136381943_KWF4x-M.jpg

1136381942_G5xZg-M.jpg

1136381952_sznNt-M.jpg

I've been flirting with this model for about two years now. Ever since it came out, I've been trying to get myself to just do it... but for some stupid reason I kept gravitating towards other plastic 45's.

I bought, and sold, a Glock 21SF because I figured I liked my G19 so much I had to love the 21. Wrong.

I bought, and sold, an HK45 because I figured I liked my P2000 so much that I had to love the 45. Wrong.

I bought and kept another 1911 because I figured I liked the 1911 platform so much that I could be plenty happy carrying one all the time while my beloved Wilson Combat pulled safe-queen duty. I wasn't wrong, but I still didn't like it as much as I liked carrying the Wilson. And I really didn't want to go back to carrying the Wilson all the time.

*sigh*

So I finally gathered my wits and did what I'd been subconsciously wanting to do all along. I added yet another M&P to the collection. I ordered this M&P 45 4-inch (mid-size) version and had the guys at D&T do the transfer for me. The moment plastic met hand, I was in love.

M&P :shake: OH YEAH!

Knowing that it was on the way, I ordered another set of Warren Tactical night sights for it since all of my M&Ps wear them. Easily my favorite sight design, period. I also decided to order the Apex Tactical DCAEK drop-in sear and trigger kit. All of this was waiting for the M&P as soon as it arrived.

Since installing the sights and the DCAEK, I have to say that this is now very rapidly becoming my new favorite. If it's as reliable as my M&P40 has been, it will overtake both it and my Glock 19 in preference for carry.

I'm not a caliber weiner and don't buy into the idea of handgun stopping power, but I do wax nostalgic for the .45ACP and find that I shoot this cartridge very, very well. I also reload for it, which means I can practice all I want. Win-win. :)

Being able to carry 10+1 in the firearm itself and another 10 on my hip in a spare mag carrier provides me with a solid number of almost 1/2" diameter projectiles that have been stopping various bad guys for 100 years now. In fact, this handgun has earned serious accolades from acknowledged 1911 experts like Hilton Yam at 10-8 Performance, who picked it over the aforementioned Glock 21 and HK45 as his preference for a plastic fighting 45.

I'm pretty stoked about this and feel that me and my M&P will be spending quite a lot of quality time together, both at the range and for social carry.

:puke:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
You want that cut up and stippled? :)

Not yet. Down the road... maybe. I'm thinking about the backstrap initially since they are cheap and easily replaced if I decide I don't like it. What you need to do is figure out how C4 Grant is doing the golf-ball texture and do some of THAT. :puke:

Post up your range results.

It goes bang when I pull the trigger and puts them where I aim it. Pretty uneventful.

I did shoot a paper badguy in the arm with it and it blew the arm clean off, spun him around and threw him to the ground about 20 feet away, though. That's the power of the .45ACP at work. :shake:

Congrats on your new pistol. I have been looking at the compact version for my next toy. I really like the feel of the M&P's and was looking for something a little smaller than my OSS to carry.

Not yet. Down the road... maybe. I'm thinking about the backstrap initially since they are cheap and easily replaced if I decide I don't like it. What you need to do is figure out how C4 Grant is doing the golf-ball texture and do some of THAT. :puke:

It goes bang when I pull the trigger and puts them where I aim it. Pretty uneventful.

I did shoot a paper badguy in the arm with it and it blew the arm clean off, spun him around and threw him to the ground about 20 feet away, though. That's the power of the .45ACP at work. :shake:

Nice gun, David. It's on my list.

I have a M&P9 coming to the store next week that will be my new carry. I tried others, but I'm coming back to the M&P. Glad you like the .45 David and sorry I missed you when you picked it up. Guys told me I missed you by about 5 min. Enjoy!

• Administrator
Will that use the same holster as a full size .40?

As Mike said, not typically. However... I have had no problems using my MTAC or my Raven Concealment Phantom with it. The Phantom is a little snug, but the Kydex is thin enough that it has sufficient give to work just fine for now.

No "pro series" no care.

Had one of those. Wasn't impressed. I've been doing the M&P since they first came out -- literally -- and was excited about the Pro until I actually owned one. That cured my excitement.

• Administrator
Really? My M&P is probably the most accurate pistol I own...but it might be because it's a 9mm????

The Pro is only available as a 9mm. Or was. Not sure what you're getting at, honestly. I guess it's an attempt to be funny. :lol:

Most handguns are more accurate than the people shooting them, though. I never had an accuracy problem with my Pro. I had countless failures to eject and failures to feed. S&W had teething problems with them early on because they were running a heavier slide with the same weight recoil spring.

Guest spoolie

No, not being funny, it's very light and the recoil is nothing compared to my other weapons....all of them are .45 and I load them "hot". I love shooting my M&P. It's point and shoot....where you want it, and I've done nothing to it.

Guest Tn.Mitch

Ive had my full size M&P 40 for a few years,what is the Apex,trigger work that some of you speak of??im sorry I havent heard about it yet.

HPIM0578-2.jpg

the M&P on top,glock 27 40 cal on bottom,Colt Combat Commander in middle, Night sights and,Crimson Trace laser grips also on the M&P,and Glock.

The consensus I seem to get from most that have owned different calibers in the M&P series is...the 45's are THE M&P's to have. I've been flirting with the idea of getting a mid size 45 for a while now, and this thread is not helping!!! And now that you mentioned raven concealment...I think Im going to have to do that too!

what is the Apex,trigger work that some of you speak of??im sorry I havent heard about it yet.
The first link is for the DCAEK kit. The second is if you just want certain parts in the kit. All I've got in mine is the hard sear since it was the only thing they had developed at the time. They've been busy putting out new stuff over the last year or so.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html

https://apextactical.com/store/product-list.php?pg1-cid11.html

• Administrator
The consensus I seem to get from most that have owned different calibers in the M&P series is...the 45's are THE M&P's to have.

This is pretty much on par with what I had heard as well, and it delivered. I'm very accurate with my M&P40 as well, but the 45 is possibly the most accurate M&P that I have ever owned. It makes me look good. :poop:

The first link is for the DCAEK kit. The second is if you just want certain parts in the kit. All I've got in mine is the hard sear since it was the only thing they had developed at the time. They've been busy putting out new stuff over the last year or so.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html

https://apextactical.com/store/product-list.php?pg1-cid11.html

I've only got one M&P and it's a 9 FS, with thumb safety. I decided not to go with the full DCAEK, because it has a duty striker spring that increases the trigger pull weight by one pound. I went with just the APEX hard sear, the APEX USB, and the APEX competition striker spring, all polished and installed by Grant, at G&R Tactical. The result is in super nice trigger that pulls at slightly less than 4#. I never thought I'd see Tupperware this nice. I gotta get a .45 soon...

MP_OD_01_web.jpg