first handgun

ironsniper1

hey everyone hope you all had a good holiday, im in the market for my first handgun as I plan to get my HCP next summer and was hoping I could get some advice.

im looking for something that wont be small or to big in my hands but wont break the bank, does anyone have some advice? thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

I usually recommend something like a .38 revolver. They are simple to use, reliable, good carry guns, aren't too big, or too small (since the grips are super easy to change), and they won't break the bank. I carry a charter arms .38, with target grips on it most of the time, ran me $300 brand spankin new. You can get into taurus around there, if you go used and look around a bit you can do even cheaper. Personally I carry a snub nose because they're more compact, but I know people who carry 4 inches too. If you're dead set on a semi auto, I would cast my vote for glock, sig, HK, or a 1911 style by one of the bazillion manufacturers, which is going to pretty much run you, bottom end about $300 for a beat up sig, or cheapo 1911, top end, a healthy chunk over a grand.

dGlock, Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield XD. Any of these should work just fine. I'd suggest 9mm. Also, if you don't mind a full-size gun you might look into Police trade-ins here:

Police Trade Ins for Sale at BudsGunShop

They usually have lots of Glocks in 9mm or .40 caliber which would be fine.

My first handgun was a Glock 19. It's the midsize 9mm. I've bought several other since then. Kept some and sold some but the Glock 19 is the one in my holster as I type this. It was recommended by an older Judge I know who owns probably several hundred of guns. He said the Glock 19 really does everything a defensive handgun needs to do and does it well.

Edited by JReedEsq

Earlier this year I bought a SR9c in stainless and love it. Granted, it is my first pistol but i shopped and handled many before buying. It fits me well and conceals easily. Also, 9mm ammo is relatively cheap.

My criteria were the same as what you mentioned and I am very happy.

A good default is a mid sized 9mm. The 9mm ammo is fairly cheap, and there are many, many styles out there to choose from, plenty of fine guns are well under $500. What fits well in your hand is a "pick some up at the store" question. Be aware that not only is the grip important, the trigger style and pull matter. Also note that lightweight guns will recoil more, in general, as will smaller guns, and the smallest/lightest 9mm can have quite a bit of recoil while the largest, heavy guns will have much less (thats very general, other things affect recoil as well, but this is enough to get started).

I would also recommend getting a cheap, used .22 pistol to hone your skills. The price of ammo for it will make up for the cost of a second gun in short order, and the practice you can get from it will help you tremendously.

I would recommend you rent/try out some guns of different styles, try to get one that is a double action only, one that is double action, and maybe a 1911-alike. Spending some time actually trying stuff out will let you see what you like and dislike for free, instead of the buy it to try it method, which is fun but expensive.

There is nothing wrong with a good revolver either, as was said. Revolvers are simple to maintain, easy to use, reliable and powerful. The only real downside to one is a 5-6 shot limit before a pretty involved reloading effort. At the range, reloading a revolver gets old, in my opinion (this is compared to a 15 shot auto that you reload 4 times per box, instead of 9 times per box).

My advice (worth every bit of what you paid for it!) is to get a decent basic .22 pistol. If you like revolvers, Taurus is the only choice left for reasonably-priced ones. For automatics, it's hard to beat the Ruger 22/45 bull-barrel or Beretta Neos. For used, Ruger, Browning, High Standard,S&W, and Colt are your best bets for a quality pistol.

By getting a .22 first you accomplish several things:

1) You will concentrate on building skills instead of just making noise.

2) Practice is cheaper, thus you will be able to get from five to ten times as much ammo for the same money. You will then have more ammo to practice with.

3) A .22 is the best 'do-everything' caliber around. You can plink, target shoot, hunt small game, destroy garden pests, and use it for self-defense.

4) You will ALWAYS want to have a .22 around to use to introduce new shooters to the sport. The .22 is the most fun, least intimidating firearm you can get.

5) By the time you get tired of shooting .22, you will know what you want to get next.

6) When you are ready to take your CCW class, you will have a pistol to use for the test that you are confident will help you pass easily.

I would recommend against a 22lr as your first handgun unless you are planning on buying a couple of guns by the time you get your permit. Sure you could carry a 22 as your EDC, but I don't know if I would do that.

I am not a big Glock fan (primarily from an ergonomics standpoint), but it is what I would recommend. They are inexpensive, reliable, durable, and pretty darn accurate. If you are worried about not "breaking the bank," I would also recommend a 9mm (G17 or G19). While not as cheap as 22lr ammo, 9mm is still an inexpensive round to practice with. The other nice thing about Glocks, is there is a huge market for Glock parts.

I'm glad to see a few folks agree with my Glock 9mm suggestion. I'd also like to point out that you can get a .22 conversion kit for a Glock instead of buying a .22 pistol. The conversion kits can be hard to find but I enjoy mine and it allows more trigger time on your carry gun.

Guest FiddleDog

I second the g19. Last I saw, buds also had a cz75-p01 for 430.00, but it's in 40. If you're open to that caliber, that would be one that I'd look at as well.

+1 on Glock 19.

If you can, visit a shooting range (or two or three) that rents guns. This way you can "try before you buy." Just because folks here recommend one over the other or have great suggestions, what works for them may not work for you in the end. That's how I chose my G19. I shot several makes and models at an indoor range and thought the compact 9mm was a good choice for my first pistol (fit, feel, cost of ammo).

Obviously, I recommend a Glock. You need to handle a subcompact, compact, and a full size (G17/19/26 in 9mm; 22/23/27 in .40; 21/30/36 in .45 ACP) to see what feels best and fits your hand best. Also, your choice of carry style and holster type will have a minor role to play in handgun. I'll give you three guesses as to what I carry; that being said, check out the Short Frames if the .45 suits your palette. I have larger hands, but the SF is perfect, whereas the standard frame was only "good".

Lastly, as many others have said, you can buy aftermarket parts and accessories 'til your heart is content for a Glock. If you didn't know already, Glock magazines are interchangeable inside of calibers (except for the G36). You can go up in magazine size, but not down - i.e. the G26 can use 10 round, 15 round, 17 round, or for when feeling insecure (and going to Memphis!), the 33 round magazine.

My first was not a Glock, but I soon wished I'd spent a little more on the first go-round.

Bottom line: look around, kick the tires, rent/borrow and fire away.. see what suits YOUR needs best. Make sure that your choice of caliber has plenty of practice ammo available and that an excellent self-defense round is available. Happy shooting!

Edited by Glock30

Try the new S&W SD9 or SD40. G&L has them, that's where I got my SD40. G19 size with much better ergos, standard front night sight, 16+1 in 9mm and 14+1 in .40. Fit like a glove and for the money can't be beat. If trigger becomes an issue apex is working on a kit that should be out soon.