In a survival situation what would you NOT eat from the great outdoors ?

Guest Rando

I first thought as in game ie. animals that you could not bring your self to eat, but you may also list plants and such that may be hard for the forest virgins to choose between poisonous or not. I do not see myself eating a skunk without putting out more than I was taking in and not sure about a coyote as for the rest would prob. depend on the look of the critter as in health wise. I myself am not to sure about the likes of mushrooms and the like of the area so I am going to try and find a good book or something on the edible plants of the area.

What you think TGO'ers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Republican

Could you eat of human flesh?

Not on purpose, but if you told me it was something else...

There probably isnt one of us who has been truly hungry enough to find out what we would eat. From what I have read, to most starving people anything is on the menu.

...Could you eat of human flesh?

Dunno if could overcome the culturally ingrained horror, but assuming the person wasn't killed for supper, I don't have a moral aversion to it.

Other than that, can't think of any flora or fauna I wouldn't scarf, assuming I felt it was safe enough.

- OS

It can, yes - there are cannibalistic tribes in Africa where this is (was?) prevalent, but it is typically transmitted by eating brain tissue, not just the flesh.

Transmissible spongiform encephalopathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In New Guinea, Kuru is a disease that is normally transmitted by eating human brain tissue. The 'cannabilism', however, usually takes place during funerary rites and is most commonly seen in women. This is because women are mainly responsible for funerary practices although that doesn't mean that men might not be involved, too. In their belief, eating the brains and, possibly, other parts of the dead helps keep the deceased with them - it is a way of honoring the dead and it is my understanding that relatives of the deceased are the ones who ingest the brains, etc. - as in a woman would eat her deceased mother's, father's, sister's or brother's brains, etc. That is the cultural explanation but there is also, likely, a nutritional component in that the men - who do the hunting for the tribe - usually eat most of the meat. From a strictly nutritional standpoint, then, these rituals supply the women of these tribal groups with a source of meat, i.e. protein.

As someone else said, I wouldn't think of killing someone for dinner. Otherwise, all the diseases that can be transmitted between humans would be the main hesitation I would have in eating long pork. If I were hungry enough, however, I'd probably be firing up the grill and hoping for the best.

poop

Bear ate poop once, all because of some fruit he found in said poop that was not well digested.( yeah don't believe it either) I don't think I would have any trouble putting down some possum, the old folk here bout's did it and I don't know that it would be any worse than the rats and such the other post was talking about. Hippies thats funny they have more chemicals and preservatives than anything you would find in the local food stores. I can not say what side of the bridge I would be on for consuming human flesh any more than the rest of you and as was said before, I hope to never find out. Nibbling on some fresh stuff when wifey is in the mood thats another story heh heh.

My dad fed us all kinds of game growing up. One of my favorites was par-boiled and baked ground hog with BBQ sauce. Other than that weird one, we've had racoon, possum, rattlesnake, and of course the normal stuff like squirrel, rabbit, deer, game birds, etc.

I'd have to be way hungrier than I can imagine to eat buzzards, coyotes, or other folks, though.

Guest Sgt. Joe

As with anything else in this world none of us know for sure what we would be capable of in any given situation.

Other than the cannibals I doubt any of the humans who have been forced to eat other humans in order to survive would have thought themselves capable of such a thing beforehand.

And let me echo the thoughts that have been stated....... "May none of us ever have to find out"

Guest pontiac_fiero_g

i know that all birds and all mamals (including human) are safe to eat according to the army survival manual so those are no problem and i actually try on a regular basis to eat things that are out of the ordinary just to make them seem normal to me. i can however say that snails are probably out of the question for me.

Guest Republican
Could you eat of human flesh?

If you do, it gives you the shakes, according to the post apocolyptic movie Book of Eli.

Or was that a documentary??? Anyways, it makes me want to sharpen my machete.

The body and mind go through various changes when on the brink of starvation. Dementia being one, so for me to say I wouldn't eat something is hard to do. Who knows I sure would try anything to stave off starvation. Especially when we're talkin possum, buzzards etc, even human. I probably wouldn't eat myself tho, just as soon die, somethings aren't worth livin through :D

Edited by Lumber_Jack