Gun pointed at you...do you shoot?

Guest wg24

I am new to handguns (turned 21 recently) and do not have thousands of hours of training.

So a scenario I had been toying with in my mind is this:

A bad guy has the element of surprise and was able to get his gun aimed accurately at you.

Say the BG aims at you then takes eye sight away to check on a family member or something (gun stays pointing at you) and you are able to quickly draw and aim while the BG is looking away; however, it is just a short enough time that you are able to aim center mass and shoot.

Do you take what you can get and hopefully be able to double tap or hit an organ leaving the BG helpless?

Are you worried your initial shot (to center mass) may cause the BG to squeeze the trigger (instincts?) and hit you in a vital (since he had time to aim) location?

Do you just wait and hope to deescalate the situation?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say if you have a bad guy with a gun pointed at you it is certainly time to shoot. Of course, only you can make that determination for a particular situation.

I'd try to step to one side while bringing my weapon on target to (hopefully) make the guy miss if he returns fire. Anything to give you an extra second or two for follow up shots. Shoot while moving to cover (if available).

I am by no means a qualified expert, but this tactic makes sense to me.

If you can, or believe you can, successfully move off the line of attack while you draw and fire, before the other fellow catches on to what's happening and pulls the trigger, then go for it. You have no guarantee that he's not just going to pull the trigger anyway, and your chances of "de-escalating" the situation are probably pretty much zero under those circumstances any way.

Your problem though is that you'll only have between .25 and .5 second to get it done, at most. So if your gun is not real easy to get to, your odds aren't good. And you absolutely cannot "telegraph" your intentions in any way; the other person has to be caught flat-footed and have no way to anticipate your actions.

It can be done, but it's not easy.

Best bet is to avoid ending up in that sort of situation to begin with, since it's pretty much a "worst case" scenario.

Edited by Jamie
Guest Guy N. Cognito

In general, if someone is pointing a gun at me, I'm considering it a threat on my life will use my firearm to defend myself. If I've been caught off guard, then I might not use it right away, but I'm certainly looking for an opportunity. There are so many variables to this type of question that it's hard to give a specific answer.

No offense but this is a dumb question and post. OF COURSE YOU SHOOT IF A PERSON HAS A GUN POINTED AT YOU? WHAT IS THE USE IN CARRYING A GUN IF YOU ARENT WILLING TO PROTECT YOURSELF? YOU NEED TO HAVE THE MINDSET DOWN. I PRAY THAT I NEVER HAVE TO TAKE A LIFE. HOWEVER, IF IT COMES DOWN TO ME OR THEM I WILL DISPATCH THEM WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE.

Is it really necessary to yell? Code of Conduct #3, read it sometime

I don't think this is a dumb question, its no more dumb than 90% of the others asked on here. If you don't know you ask, that's the whole point of TGO.

as to the OP I believe move and shoot is the beset option, but like Punisher said, it all depend on distance from you to BG. if it's 3 feet you've got to move faster and further to avoid a reaction shot from BG. if it's 15' you can move less distance, but would still be committed to as fast as possible. These are things you should practice. I like to stand if front of a full length mirror, using my reflection as the BG. Then I practice drawing and dry firing, drawing and moving to the side, and just general quick movements. These are things that can be greatly improved without actually being at the range

Edited by Lumber_Jack
Guest Guy N. Cognito
action is faster than reaction, so actually you would have the upper hand by moving, drawing and shooting.

I'm pretty sure that the guy with the gun in his hand pointed at you has the upper hand.

In general, if someone is pointing a gun at me, I'm considering it a threat on my life will use my firearm to defend myself. If I've been caught off guard, then I might not use it right away, but I'm certainly looking for an opportunity. There are so many variables to this type of question that it's hard to give a specific answer.

This too.

I'd rather take a bullet for defending myself than take a bullet for just standing there doing nothing.

Yeah, if I'm gonna be shot it's not going to be with a loaded, holstered/undrawn gun on my person, unless they just sneak up and shoot me without any warning. I'll be caught at least making the effort to shoot back..

So many variables to consider on that one. I don't know if my assumptions are right ot not, they're just gut reactions to the OP.

Does the BG appear nervous/scared to be there, or cold as ice?

Scared tells me they probably just want the cash and to get out. Play along.

Ice cold means they've done this before. Go for the gun. He's going to shoot no matter what.

Then again...scared people do some stupid stuff....

What's the location and time?

In a bank? they probably want some cash. Play along.

A restaurant at 10:30 at night? Go for the gun. He's going to shoot no matter what.

At home? Could go either way.

Is my family involved?

If so, what are the risks that fall on them if I make a move? Play along if possible.

Is the BG escalating it by threatening rape on my wife/GF? Go for the gun. He's going to shoot no matter what.

I can probably think of a lot of other factors. It really is a situational decision. You have to be absolutley prepared to take the shot. If not, don't carry. But being willing to do so and doing it aren't the same. Sometimes it's best to play along and get out with nothing but a few dollars taken, but if your gut says that's not going to happen, then you're only risking what you've already lost.

action is faster than reaction, so actually you would have the upper hand by moving, drawing and shooting.

IF you're in a position to draw and shoot. I've actually had a little of the up close training. Move and shoot can be real fast if you have acess to your gun. If it's buried under cover garments, your odds go down. We had a thread about this several months back. If you're forced into places where these types of encounters can happen, accessibility is more important than perfect concealment.

Throw your wallet on the ground, draw and shoot while they are trying to picking it up?

Honestly, if I was already drawn on, I would probably comply in hopes of the BG getting distracted to where I can take control. I find it hard to believe I could "out draw" someone who is already standing with a gun on me.

• Administrator
I'm pretty sure that the guy with the gun in his hand pointed at you has the upper hand.

Dude. You're making me want to sponsor a TGO force-on-force simmunitions class sometime soon just so that I can light you up and put a rest to some of the oddball ideas you have. :)

I find it hard to believe I could "out draw" someone who is already standing with a gun on me.

You or I... or anybody else here... may or may not could. But it can be done.

Go look up a couple of folks by the name of Bill Jordan and "Jelly" Brice, and read a bit about them, and their careers in LE. You can also ask Mas Ayoob about a demonstration he helped Bill Jordan with, back in the '70s, if you happen to run into him on one of the other gun forms.

Throw your wallet on the ground, draw and shoot while they are trying to picking it up?

Honestly, if I was already drawn on, I would probably comply in hopes of the BG getting distracted to where I can take control. I find it hard to believe I could "out draw" someone who is already standing with a gun on me.

That's the move part of move and shoot.

• Administrator

As I've said before, and has been pounded into my head by people smarter and better at this than me, a moving target is harder to hit than the guy standing there doing nothing. Introducing movement screws up the other guy's OODA Loop and gives you precious seconds that might allow you to draw your gun and bring not only equilibrium to the situation but potentially sway it into your favor.

WWPO'HD??? Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge! The five D's of dodgeball... words to live by. Move your ass!

As I've said before, and has been pounded into my head by people smarter and better at this than me, a moving target is harder to hit than the guy standing there doing nothing. Introducing movement screws up the other guy's OODA Loop and gives you precious seconds that might allow you to draw your gun and bring not only equilibrium to the situation but potentially sway it into your favor.

WWPO'HD??? Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge! The five D's of dodgeball... words to live by. Move your ass!

Don't know why but this statement made me picture a screaming monkey flinging poo. I wonder how someone'd react to that?