If I ever meet a Yankee who doesn't complain"You Southerners can't drive in the snow"

Will Carry

It's becuase we live in the SOUTH. Where the winter sun shines warm. When my nieghbor moved down from Boston, the first time it snowed he was out with a shovel, shoveling his driveway. I told him, "Dude! It will be 70 degrees tomorrow and it will all be gone." Now, after 5 years, he has stooped doing that. He's a great neighbor! Talks funny but otherwise is a good man. ;)

I can drive very well in the snow as most Southerners can.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the Yankees that say that are from someplace that's as flat as a table top, and has roads laid out on a grid.

And that's nowhere as interesting to drive on when it gets slick as our hill-dodging, hill-climbing roads are.

Most of the Yankees that say that are from someplace that's as flat as a table top, and has roads laid out on a grid.

And that's nowhere as interesting to drive on when it gets slick as our hill-dodging, hill-climbing roads are.

I take exception to that. :death:

I am from Ohio originally but I've also lived in many places, including a 10-year long winter one year in Chicago and four actual years in Washington state where there are both curvy roads, and real mountains (the kind that have snow year round).

The fact remains, southerners can't drive in snow. Then again, I've never seen them slow down much for rain or any other type of weather that can significantly affect how a vehicle handles on the road!

All that said, the worst thing about southern drives is this believe that red lights are only suggestions that you may want to consider slowing down approaching an intersection. ;)

Oh, I'm quite convinced that most people on the road have no idea how to drive. And that's irrelevant to where they are, where they grew up, or what the current weather happens to be.

Oh, I'm quite convinced that most people on the road have no idea how to drive. And that's irrelevant to where they are, where they grew up, or what the current weather happens to be.

Can't disagree with that. However running red lights seems to be a very prevalent past time in Tennessee; more so than any of the other states I've lived in!

Can't disagree with that. However running red lights seems to be a very prevalent past time in Tennessee; more so than any of the other states I've lived in!

I also can't disagree, but agree with your addition. I've travelled quite extensively, although not in the last 3 or 4 years. I see stuff here in Memphis and west TN that I just don't see other places.

I believe I can drive in snow as good as the next fellow, even equal cars/trucks to drive. Since I have been driving in East TN, there for the better part of 20 years, there has not been one snow that I have not driven in that we have had, including the blizzard of 93 everyone still talks about and the follow up snow right after in Jan 94 that I believe was bigger as LMU was closed for a week, right after everyone got back on Sunday, it snowed Monday Morning and I had the only 4x4 there. I had a great week.

We all know a Southerner's worst fear is a Yankee pulln a Uhaul! :P

I know. When I moved here pulling a u-haul, someone tried to give me directions back to New York. :lol: Just kidding. Actually mot of the people I've met have been friendly.... almost too friendly..... :tinfoil:

And as for Southerners not knowing how to drive in the snow, there are quite a few yankees that can't drive in the snow either. Also includes the Northwest. You should see some of the idiots trying to drive across the Cascade Mountains during a snowstorm. I went to Nashville last night and saw 4 SUV's in the ditch on I40. They don't realize that it doesn't matter what you're driving when you're on ice.

I know. When I moved here pulling a u-haul, someone tried to give me directions back to New York. :tinfoil: Just kidding. Actually mot of the people I've met have been friendly.... almost too friendly..... :P

Just be careful when we say "Bless your heart."

I take exception to that. :lol:

I am from Ohio originally but I've also lived in many places, including a 10-year long winter one year in Chicago and four actual years in Washington state where there are both curvy roads, and real mountains (the kind that have snow year round).

The fact remains, southerners can't drive in snow. Then again, I've never seen them slow down much for rain or any other type of weather that can significantly affect how a vehicle handles on the road!

All that said, the worst thing about southern drives is this believe that red lights are only suggestions that you may want to consider slowing down approaching an intersection. :P

That's because we're Italian at heart. :tinfoil:

That must be it!!!!

I've spend a good deal of time in Italy (Naples, Rome, and lot's of places in between as well as Agusta Bay Sicily) and as a group, Italians seem to take all traffic laws as only suggestions! :P

I rest my case. After all, Tennessee is the Tuscany of the US. Only with more guns.

To be serious, driving skill isn't a matter of geography. Unfortunately, what passes for "driver training" in this country is mostly a joke (and a bad one).

I"m a fairly decent driver (not an expert by any means) and I've honed my skills with high performance driving schools, participating in track events and many, many hours on autocross courses - just like handling a firearm safely and shooting well, driving well takes time and practice.

On the other hand, it will ALWAYS be entertaining to make fun of southerners in the snow!!! :P

Guest mosinon

When I moved here from Missouri I was out there driving in the snow while laughing at everyone else. They couldn't believe I made it to the radio station in a Volkswagon GTI.

After several years of minimal snows I found that I couldn't drive in the friggin snow anymore. Puzzled until I realized that when I was living in MO I'd probably drive in the snow a dozen or so times a year. When practice went to zero so did my skills. I argue that it isn't that southerners are somehow incapable of driving in the snow they just don't get enough practice.

My next door neighbor is from Michigan (the :poop:y parts) and I listened to him spew the same nonsense about how "you guys can't drive for s*#t in the snow" for a long time. He is also a OTR truck driver, so he fancies himself some kind of expert driver.

HE HAS HAD 2 SINGLE CAR ACCIDENTS IN THE SNOW IN THE LAST 2 WINTERS. Both were when no one else was around. Mind you, he didn't volunteer this tidbit of info, his southern wife, who is as sick of his southern drivers comments as I am, told us.

It's funny...people will admit to a bunch of personal failings, but I've yet to run into someone who will admit to being a bad driver or having a bad sense of humor. Every state I've lived in, the residents looooooved to claim how people from other states couldn't drive. Reconcile that, if you can.

Near as I can tell, every state has plenty of drivers who get around like a one night stand in Haiti*, regardless of road conditions, and plenty of folks who aren't funny. Neither cold, nor rain, nor everything else that the postman fears changes this, and it doesn't have any effect on their senses of humor either.

*If you didn't get it, they're Unsafe F****.

Guest Letereat!
It's funny...people will admit to a bunch of personal failings, but I've yet to run into someone who will admit to being a bad driver or having a bad sense of humor. Every state I've lived in, the residents looooooved to claim how people from other states couldn't drive. Reconcile that, if you can.

Near as I can tell, every state has plenty of drivers who get around like a one night stand in Haiti*, regardless of road conditions, and plenty of folks who aren't funny. Neither cold, nor rain, nor everything else that the postman fears changes this, and it doesn't have any effect on their senses of humor either.

*If you didn't get it, they're Unsafe F****.

:cop::up:

Hurray for the truth!! We have many fender benders here when it snows, hell this A.M. from 0715 to 0930ish 40 east from the scales to west hills was a smash up derby, Tractor Trailor vs car, TT vs TT, CAR vs the barrier wall, one truck blew his load of 16 penny nails over a huge swath. KPD had 30+ on the secondary roads during the same time period. Monday when it was fresh there was just a few spinouts. I personally Drove to Anderson county and back before 7 am, loose packed snow the whole way, not a single crash.

HOWEVER, our worst crashes by far far and away are bright sunny days with no hindrance whatsoever. Thats when all the fatalities happen and cars get crushed like tinfoil, flip and or roll etc. It is simple carelessness, lack of awareness and just plain "Unsafe F****".

P.S. to learn to drive in the snow....one must drive in the snow. Go to an empty parking lot with 2-3+ inches and push it till you slide and spin, then back off till you don't. then progress to packed snow on an empty street get up to 10 or 20 and stomp the brakes, take some slow turns etc. You will quickly learn to NEVER stomp the breaks and just take it slow and make no sudden maneuvers. IF you dont end up in the ditch first or wrapped around a parking lot light pole.:):usa:

Edited by Letereat!
:cop::up:

P.S. to learn to drive in the snow....one must drive in the snow. Go to an empty parking lot with 3+ inches and push it till you slide and spin, then back off till you don't. then progress to packed snow on an empty street get up to 10 or 20 and stomp the brakes, take some slow turns etc. You will quickly learn to NEVER stomp the breaks and just take it slow and make no sudden maneuvers. IF you dont end up in the ditch first or wrapped around a parking lot light pole.:):usa:

The best way to learn to drive in the snow is to go out an play in it. Back when I was in high school, on snow days me and my buddies would go out driving all day. Never an accident. But, as was mentioned, there are a couple of factors at hand. A real snows are few and far between. We just don't get enough practice. So, when we get a snow I always make time to do a few donuts in the church parking lot, as few slides, etc. Then it all starts to come back.