Is Gun Snobbery a bad thing?

DaveTN

Im a Gun Snob.

I own SIGS.

All other guns are 2nd or 3rd class.

Being a Gun Snob I have no clue as why I want sigs other than they are SIGS.

If you cant afford the best then dont buy anything.

When I see any other gun I cant see the trees for the forest.

I drive a 1975 Ford pinto just so I can buy the best in guns. (being Sigs)

So all in all Im not just a GUN SNOB Im a BRAND SNOB.

OH (edit) Is being a Gun snob bad? YES .......................only for those who dont own SIGS

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are brands that I won't own personally. I don't think I look down on people that buy those brands, because it's up to them to fund the purchase, and accept the performance. So, I'm probably not a snob. But, my Bowning gun safe is a total snob. There are a lot of things that just aren't allowed :)

SNOB: 1) A person regarded as arrogant and annoying

2) A snob is someone who adopts the worldview that some people are inherently inferior to him

3) One who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste

4) Snobbism is a defensive expression of social insecurity

Geese Dave. I think you nailed it. :)

What is your definition of a gun snob? I have preferences for certain makes and models. I cringe a bit when I see an entire gun magazine dedicated to plastic pistols and AR based garbage. I love the look and feel of a well polished and deeply blued firearm, complete with perfect fitting, figured walnut. I do feel that John Browning, Arthur Savage, Peter Paul and Willhelm Mauser, John Pedersen. Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson were divinely inspired. Perhaps, I am a gun snob.:)

Actually, I think that makes you a gun geezer according to Chuck Hawks. Nothin' wrong with that.

I would call myself an "opinionated traditionalist"...

-Best rifles are single shots and leverguns

-Bigger calibers are generally better

-Automatic pistols are almost worthless for most of what a handgun is used for

-Pistol calibered rifles are nearly worthless

-Firearms are just that; FIREARMS. Plastic has no place on or in a firearm. Blued steel and Black Walnut.

Does that make me a "snob"? I don't know. I just like what I like.

Guest Keinengel

I'm not a gun snob myself altough I usually save up and fork over more to get something nicer. Gun snobs aren't cool frankly but the people who really piss me off are the ones who are too cheap to save up another couple hundred dollars and buy something quality. Then they but the cheapest gun on the shelf and over glorify it like its a Wilson or something. I've met a few people who are like that with everything they own... I don't bash people who can't afford any better since I've been having to pinch money and cut corners myself here lately I know what thats like. But If I'm out to purchase something Important (like cars, guns, tools, Etc.) I'm not going to cheap out and i'm going to buy what I really want.

I would call myself an "opinionated traditionalist"...

-Best rifles are single shots and leverguns

-Bigger calibers are generally better

-Automatic pistols are almost worthless for most of what a handgun is used for

-Pistol calibered rifles are nearly worthless

-Firearms are just that; FIREARMS. Plastic has no place on or in a firearm. Blued steel and Black Walnut.

Does that make me a "snob"? I don't know. I just like what I like.

Oh, man, such a snob! :)

Dave:_______________

RE: Your question:

....Hi, my names Dave and I’m a gun snob.

Is gun snobbery a bad thing? ....

David posted the best answer. It's ok to like some things (....guns, knives, cars, etc. ...) and not like others. That's why they make all the different ones. I'm one too; and i wont apologize for it. I'm polite; i wont talk bad about anyone else's taste in firearms. Folks can prefer whatever they like. So do i. The fact is, we still live in America and are affluent enough to buy whatever we choose to (....for the time being, anyway...). Dont apologize for having good taste (...and good sense...).

.....Snobbery is the wrong word, I think. Perhaps a more accurate term would be to consider oneself to be a discriminating gun-buyer. There's nothing wrong with choosing a Lexus over a Toyota if you can afford the Lexus. ....

Keep up the good work. I say those who call you down for being a "gun snob" are politically correct weenies!!

leroy

I’m not judging any people. :dropjaw:

When you state you don't "trust your life to a POS simply because it's cheap", the inference is pretty clear - in a thread about gun snobbery - that you think someone else IS trusting their life to a gun that is "cheap" or a "POS" (again, both words that are pretty arbitrary in nature).

This is all pretty new to me… thank you for helping us out. Note to self… Jennings are not junk.

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem. Let me know when you figure out what I actually said, or if you can't figure it out, I'll be glad to diagram the sentence referring to Jennings handguns for you.

• Moderators
I have freely admitted to that :rolleyes:. I ain't the only one either

I think I resemble this remark.

Wrong word as well. Sluts do it for free. We Magpul whores are engaged in transactions that involve money. :screwy:

Considering the direction the money flows, wouldn't Magpul be the whore? I wonder if "John" isn't a more appropriate term for me since I am always left with a lighter wallet and an desire for more...

Edited by Chucktshoes
I has good grammar.
It's ok to like some things (....guns, knives, cars, etc. ...) and not like others. That's why they make all the different ones. I'm one too; and i wont apologize for it. I'm polite; i wont talk bad about anyone else's taste in firearms. Folks can prefer whatever they like. So do i. The fact is, we still live in America and are affluent enough to buy whatever we choose to (....for the time being, anyway...). Dont apologize for having good taste (...and good sense...).

leroy

I think the part in red is where it crosses the line from just having an opinion to being a gun snob. And even that can be a little iffy - since the the difference between informing and disparaging is sometimes all in the presentation.

Hmmmmmm. I've read this entire thread with interest. I guess I would be classified by many as a gun snob, too. I tend toward SIGs. For example, when I was looking for a pocket BUG, I decided I'd see what was out there. I ended up buying a KelTec in .380. I hated it, hated the way it fired (every time by the way, no malfunctions, it worked "fine" but I hated the way it felt). I sold it and bought a SIG P238 and have not regretted that decision for a millisecond.

I don't recall ever criticizing another's choice in guns. I think Jennings and Lorcins, for that matter, are junk. Before you go off, yes, I've owned them too, but they are long gone. If someone wants something I think is junk, that's their choice. I won't say anything to them about it, but it doesn't change the fact I think they're junk.

I'm sure there are some who think my preferences are junk, as well.

• Administrator

Eh, the only time I've told someone that their choice of sidearm might not be the most prudent, it was out of genuine concern for their well being should they ever need to rely on that firearm in a moment of extreme duress. I've tried to coach people to spend a little more for a much better weapon, just as I've coached people to spend a little less.

It's not my job description to tell people what to buy. However I do feel a certain moral compulsion to speak up when they're making a really bad choice that might come back to haunt them. If that makes me a snob, so be it.

Eh, the only time I've told someone that their choice of sidearm might not be the most prudent, it was out of genuine concern for their well being should they ever need to rely on that firearm in a moment of extreme duress. I've tried to coach people to spend a little more for a much better weapon, just as I've coached people to spend a little less.

It's not my job description to tell people what to buy. However I do feel a certain moral compulsion to speak up when they're making a really bad choice that might come back to haunt them. If that makes me a snob, so be it.

That's not snobbery - that's genuine concern... an entirely different situation, and the reasonable response of any person who cares for his fellow man's safety.