What 9mm / .45acp carbine?

wareagle

Guys: I've scrapped my plan to pickup a .308 carbine in favor of picking up a pistol caliber carbine. I've poured through the recent Kel-tec and hi-point discussions. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, anyone know where to find one today? I've had a heck of time finding much to look at in Knoxville.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Clutch442

For what its worth, I've shot the Beretta Storm in 9mm very fun gun especially for the price. If price is no object H & K offers the USC a civilian version of the UMP in .45 acp, hoping to purchase one of these myself.

They're ugly as sin, but for under $200 a 9mm Hi Point Carbine is not a bad choice. The Kel Tec Sub 2000's are also within your price range.

I don't think you'll find much of anything in .45acp in your price range. Hi Point has been promising a .45ACP version of their carbine for years, but have never delivered. If they (or Kel Tec) would put out a .45 carbine that takes XD45 mags I'd buy it.

price is an object. I cannot go over $500. Closer to 200 is better.

BudsGunShop is running a special on the CX4 Storm Carbine Not much over $500 delivered.

Beretta CX4 Storm .40SW Package Special!

This is a Cx4 Storm Rifle that comes free with one Commando-Type tactical front vertical grip and one bottom/side-mount rail kit. That gives you TWO side rails total--one comes with the rifle and one comes with the bottom rail kit. That's a $90 value!

The rifle comes with two 11-round magazines, a five piece cleaning kit, and a black Beretta hardcase.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13435

This is a Cx4 Storm Rifle that comes free with one Commando-Type tactical front vertical grip

I might be the only one, but phrases like that actually make me want to not buy a product. I won't be shipping out to Fallujah any time soon, I would much rather buy something marketed as "fun to shoot and won't break!"

sigh

[/rant]

Having owned a Beretta CX-4, and fired a few of the other fantastic plastic pistol-caliber carbines... I'd be very inclined to look hard at a 9mm AR-15.

Eddie: Did you have a bad experience with the CX-4. I checked one out and like it much more than I expected. If I could find one for a reasonable price, I might buy it.

Made a great Camp Carbine in both 9mm and 45ACP. You might have some luck finding one in the newspaper, gun show, or shop. It is a shame they aren't still made. Ruger makes a similar carbine.

If you are looking price wise, the hi points and kel tecs are supposed to be pretty good. The hi points are very inexpensive and if something happens to it (stolen or falls out of a boat while you're fishing) you haven't lost a lot. Very replaceable.

Have you considered a 38/357 lever gun? Marlin and Henry make excellant ones, and you can still find some used Winchesters. Ammo for 38 Special is just a little more than 9mm. In a pinch, one of these little lever carbines would make great deer rifles in the woods.

Sorry to continue the hijack but I liked what I saw in the previous post about the Mechtech system using your pistol lower receiver but I loved what I saw (yes, some Mall Ninja is appearing) that will be coming from Magpul in the future. You have to go to the link for the pictures taken at this years SHOT show. Its in the 458SOCOMFORUMS.com where I moderate so its a safe link. Several other great items pictured as well. Pan down to the "boxy" looking item with the tactical light called a Glock carbine. It unfolds to a small SBR sized weapon. Just caught my eye and thought I would share.

http://458socomforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1161&start=0

Eddie: Did you have a bad experience with the CX-4. I checked one out and like it much more than I expected. If I could find one for a reasonable price, I might buy it.

Yes and no.

The gun was fun as all getout to shoot, but so is any pistol-caliber carbine... The problem was that the gun was very unreliable. I tried everything to get it working... mags, tweaking the springs and extractor, rigorous cleaning... but once it got warm and a little dirty (it doesn't take more than a few shots to get a blowback firearm dirty), it consistently became a single shot. They are very cheaply made (the hammer is plastic, if that tells you anything). I won't buy another one.

I have a Marlin Camp 9 carbine that has been flawless since new. It takes S&W double stack mags wich are fairly easy to find at reasonable prices. It shoots any ammo that you want to load including lead round nose reloads. It is surprisingly accurate out to about 75 yards.

dave