DOS/motorcycle/license RANT

Guest mustangdave

Guest mustangdave

Ok...WTH gives with this silly state? In every state I've lived in, if you desire to ride a motorcycle...you are required to have a license to do so...and IF you are inexperienced you can obtain a "temp permit" good for like 6 months to learn to drive your machine.

Now I recently purchased a motorcycle, its registered and insured...I'm ready to go riding...hold on thar Bobalouie, you need to take a written test (no sweat) and the "road test" to get you "M" certification on your drivers license...but you can't legally ride until you do.

I will be honest here...its been a while since I last rode a motorcycle...and I wanted a "get acquainted" period with my new ride...so I went to DOS to get a TEMP PERMIT...So I would be "legal"...and was told TN don't work that way...you take the TESTS and BADA Bing...you're good to go...OR...take the $200 motorcycle safety course and you get a PASS on the driving test.

So, I guess I'll just drive around my subdivision for a bit... and take that safety course.

Thoughts...suggestions??? :hiding:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamie

Don't look at me... I rode my motorcycle down to the DL station, took the tests, then rode it home. Seems that's just the way it's done here... no learner's permit, no provisions in the law for allowing a person to learn to ride the things legally at all, except for that safety course, which isn't run by the state. :hiding:

I don't know how many years I rode one without anything but a plain ol' DL. I didn't get the "M" stamp 'til sometime in the early '90s.

I rode without a license from the time I was 16 until I turned 20, the main reason I got my license is that I ended up going thru a roadblock

one night and received a nice pretty pink sheet of paper(he still let me ride away). When the officer gave me the ticket he told me to get my license and the ticket would be dropped so I did and it was, but the funny thing is is that when I went to take my test I rode my bike to take the test. After the

written part of the test we went outside I to take the riding test and the training person asked me which bike was mine and how I got it there

I proceeded to tell her that I rode it here. When I told her that she told me that if you can ride this far (Which was about 40 miles from my house)

you must be a good enough rider so she passed me, and I've had a license ever since. Funny how sometimes two wrongs do make a right.

My experience was similar to Jamie's. In fact, I called and asked how I was supposed to get my bike down to take the test and the nice female DL person stated "just ride it on down. We won't ask how you got here." I am pretty sure the test is if you can make it to the DL location to take the test, they figure you can pass. The driving test consisted of driving across hwy 30, doing a u-turn, stopping at the stop sign across the street and finally driving back into the parking lot, of the old Athens location. It really appears that they really only care about the written part.

Don't look at me... I rode my motorcycle down to the DL station, took the tests, then rode it home. Seems that's just the way it's done here... no learner's permit, no provisions in the law for allowing a person to learn to ride the things legally at all, except for that safety course, which isn't run by the state. :hiding:

I don't know how many years I rode one without anything but a plain ol' DL. I didn't get the "M" stamp 'til sometime in the early '90s.

This is what I did. I rode for a good while, til I got busted speeding in a subdivision, then rode down to DL station, etc.

If I were you, I would get comfortable in your subdivision and just go to the DL station and take the test. Obviously, they can't ride with you so what happens on the driving test is they come outside and observe from the parking lot. That means that the test is something like "turn out of the parking lot, go down to the third driveway, turn around and come back". That is what my test was at the old DL station in M'boro. Just make sure to use the blinkers and don't forget to put your feet down when you stop :). If your worried about driving unlicensed to the DL station, surely you know somebody with the M endorsement would be willing to help you out and ride it down for you.

Edit: I am not going against the safety course, if you do take it, make sure you tell the insurance company because that could result in a reduction of your rates :) :) Don't spend the 200 bucks just to avoid the official test however............

Edited by hardknox00001
Ok...WTH gives with this silly state? In every state I've lived in, if you desire to ride a motorcycle...you are required to have a license to do so...and IF you are inexperienced you can obtain a "temp permit" good for like 6 months to learn to drive your machine.

Now I recently purchased a motorcycle, its registered and insured...I'm ready to go riding...hold on thar Bobalouie, you need to take a written test (no sweat) and the "road test" to get you "M" certification on your drivers license...but you can't legally ride until you do.

I will be honest here...its been a while since I last rode a motorcycle...and I wanted a "get acquainted" period with my new ride...so I went to DOS to get a TEMP PERMIT...So I would be "legal"...and was told TN don't work that way...you take the TESTS and BADA Bing...you're good to go...OR...take the $200 motorcycle safety course and you get a PASS on the driving test.

So, I guess I'll just drive around my subdivision for a bit... and take that safety course.

Thoughts...suggestions??? :hiding:

PLUS...why do they charge extra for the M indorsement just to type the letter M in the computer? When I added mine I had the Safety class cert so I didnt have to take the road test...but they sure do keep adding the extra money for that M every time I renew.

Here in Nebraska you have to take a eye test and a writtne test ( 20 Questions ) If you pass the written you then have to take a driving test--unless you have taken a riders class and pass that, then you can skip the driving part of the test. If you ride your bike to the place that you take you test they will not give you your license even if you pass the riding part. They will make you come back another day. You have to have someone else bring your bike there for you and that person must have a motorcycle license or you can`t take the test then. Lots of BS to go through. I took mine about 40 years when all you had to do is take a written and ride around the block for them. Our onlu big problem is that you have to wear a helmet. All ages. They try to get it repealed each year but they have enough bike haters to keep it in force.

When I got my M in the early 70's I was told if I rode to the test I would get a ticket, so I asked a friend that was a motorcycle cop if he would deliver it for me. He said sure, but I don't have a M license. Nobody ever asked him to show his license.

Glenn

Take the course. It's worth the $200 if your skills are rusty. Enjoy the insurance discount.

One friend got a ticket for riding to the DL station to get his license. Another friend loaded his bike in his truck, hauled it there, unloaded, and then simply had to ride across the parking lot and back. I took the course. It's silly in some respects (as any government class is), but otherwise worthwhile.

I have a friend that's an instructor for the Tennessee motorcycle course and I've reviewed the material. As a former motorcycle safety instructor myself, I would recommend taking the course. It's a good course. There's no substitute for experience but it helps to get a good safe start. It's surprising how many people will get on a bike with no training or experience and jump into traffic that would make me uneasy in my truck. Many years ago, while a motorcycle safety instructor in the military, I had a guy fail the riding part of the course. Passing the course allowed you to ride on the installation. He was killed riding on a nearby highway the weekend after he failed the course. Too much bike, too little experience.

I'm not judging anyone's ability here. I'm saying that taking the course is not a bad thing and could save your life. Even if you are an experienced rider. :D

Guest mustangdave

I plan on taking the course...LOL...my boss (spouse has spoken)...plus I need to complete it to be able to gain access the local military bases on the motorcycle. Also as a side topic...anyone use REFLECTIVE GEAR while riding? It use to be a requirement on military bases when I was on active duty.

Guest mustangdave
When I got mine in the 60's, a lady trooper watched me drive to the end of the parking lot, stop, and drive back.

The reverse parallel parking was tricky, though. :D

- OS

Way back in the crazy hazy 60's huh?

I plan on taking the course...LOL...my boss (spouse has spoken)...plus I need to complete it to be able to gain access the local military bases on the motorcycle. Also as a side topic...anyone use REFLECTIVE GEAR while riding? It use to be a requirement on military bases when I was on active duty.

I still carry my reflective vest in my saddle bag in case i need to stop by a base on trips that i take. I have heard, but not confrmed that a lot of the bases out West have stopped requiring the reflective vest during daylight hours. As a side note I have been thinking about not carrying my vest any longer, due to the fact I always "carry" and dont want to be caught on base with it.

I wear one. Even with dual headlights and the reflective vest people still don't see you though. But I want every bit of visibility I can have. Of course I'm also one of those crazy guys that wears a full face helmet, jacket, and gloves year round.

...anyone use REFLECTIVE GEAR while riding? It use to be a requirement on military bases when I was on active duty.

I usually don't wear reflective stripes on a nice clear day but I, too, have dual headlights and I'm nearly as big as a Volkswagen. DayGlow orange or green are useful in the daytime. At night, or even a dark day, I'm lit up like a Christmas tree. The reflective stripes can be seen from a very long distance. I was hit by a car at dusk in the 80s. A year and a half to recover. I do all I can to prevent that from happening again. I'll trade the bada$$ biker look for keeping all of my appendages anytime.

Guest mustangdave
I'm also one of those crazy guys that wears a full face helmet, jacket, and gloves year round.

Thats the ONE thing I have a problem with...FULL FACE helmets...I get a little klostophobic...I'll do an old school open face helmet instead...and no "skid lids" either (wurd from the BOSS)...and will ride only fully dressed, no cut offs (shorts) and t-shirts or tank tops...saw the results of that back in high school...friend of mine looked like fresh ground round with pebbles added after "laying" his bike down on a country road.

I wear one. Even with dual headlights and the reflective vest people still don't see you though. But I want every bit of visibility I can have. Of course I'm also one of those crazy guys that wears a full face helmet, jacket, and gloves year round.

+1. I can't say I'm ATGATT, but almost.

As for not wearing the full face.... Wait until a june bug or rock from a tire tries to occupy the same space as you at 70+ mph. As for the claustrophobia, try focusing on something further away and/or wear the helmet around the house to get used to it. I feel naked without it.

Guest RevScottie

Be careful riding the motorcycle in to take the test. I have heard of automatic fail and ticket for riding to the testing station. Supposedly happened here in Hamilton County which I would not doubt.

You pay additional for anything. The motorcycle license or "M" is just that an additional license not an endorsement. If you are caught operating a motorcycle without the M license you can be charged with Driving without a license. Just a side note to anybody on the forum who drives or delivers for a business make sure you get your F endorsement if needed. I can't tell you how many people have said well they didn't tell me I need it.

Be careful riding the motorcycle in to take the test. I have heard of automatic fail and ticket for riding to the testing station. Supposedly happened here in Hamilton County which I would not doubt.

haha, I drove mine to the testing center, took my exam and the lady at the counter said 'is your bike here', yep, 'did you ride it here', yep, 'no reason to take the driving test then'. Sweet.

What irks me about TDOS is that they charge you double for your license just for getting the endorsement. Been a while since I renewed, but I think my wife and I both went down to DOS, and she was charged $27 for her license (no endorsement) and I was charged over $50 (with endorsement).

Seems like TN has found another way of making $$$ off of the backs of her citizenry. Would think motorcyclers would pay less, since we don't tear up the roads as much as cars, plus we use less gas, so we're greener.

I got my M before I got my D.

If I remember I walked out of the DOS when I was 16 with a MDL, Motorcycle license Driver learner. Fully legal on the motorcycle but as I had to take the car written test and the motorcycle written test, almost identical, then ride the motorcycle for them I got MDL. After I got my car license, it turned into a DM.

As far as driving the motorcycle for them, I just had to show them all the lights worked, pull out safely drive about 100 yards behind the mall, turn around and come back. They did not ride with me either.

Dad had a friend ride the bike down, to the DOS. We had heard stories of people showing up at the DOS and being questioned about how they had got their ride their and if if they admitting to driving it themselves getting a ticket on the spot. (admitting guilt).

If I remember correctly when I was about 14, TN used to let people get a Motocycle license, kind of a learner that was only good for 7 miles from your home. I really wanted it, but dad saw no reason for me to have it.

Edited by vontar