I learned today that the Ruger Mark 1 was copied from the Japanese Nambu pistol.

Will Carry

Ruger-Mk-I-web.jpg2nambu.jpg

The Nambu was one of the worst service pistol of World War Two. Bill Ruger had a small machine shop in Southport Conn. He redesigned it into the Standard .22 Automatic. It was so successful that..........it launched the entire company. We copied something from the Japanese, and made it better.

Edited by Will Carry
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't possibly be the last one to learn this on TGO. Can I? Who else didn't know? Speak up, don't be shy. It doesn't make us stupid just unread in handgun history.:) Can you name my tank and give me the caliber of the hull gun and the turret gun?

Guest m14man
I can't possibly be the last one to learn this on TGO. Can I? Who else didn't know? Speak up, don't be shy. It doesn't make us stupid just unread in handgun history.:cool: Can you name my tank and give me the caliber of the hull gun and the turret gun?

m3 grant and lee and 75mm 37mm cannons.

Guest NashvegasMatt

i didn't know, and now that i know.... I still don't care. haha. just kidding with you...Nonetheless, it is always good to add another fact to my "someday if I'm on jeopardy and they ask this I will know the answer" category.

Why do you say the Nambu was one of the worst pistols? They are actually pretty reliable, durable, and easy to clean and field-strip. The only drawback I know of is the anemic cartridge.

The M3 tank, on the other hand was a disaster. The turret-mounted 37mm was too light to disable enemy tanks, did not have enough range, and was awkward to aim and fire in the tiny turret in spite of power rotation. The low-pressure 75mm in the hull had enough power and range at the time, but you had to expose the whole tank to fire it. Riveted armor would spall and open at the seams when hit, even if there was no penetration.

We supplied a bunch to the Brits in 1942. The Brits liked the roomy hull and powerful, reliable engine. But the drawbacks were enough to ensure that the M3 was removed from service as soon as possible. We used the hull as a mount for self-propelled artillery, and it stood excellent service in that role.

The Mark 1 was the first gun I bought as a young dumb 20 something, and have been toting it around for.... well a long time.

I liked it 'cause it looked like a Luger, and I was a WW2 history buff.

I didn't know until today it was a knockoff of a Japanese knockoff of the Luger.

Never too old to learn something. Thanks Will.:confused:

Guest Law of Thirds

The Luger and the Nambu don't have much in common internally. Maybe by look they're similar, but internally they're a far cry apart. The luger uses a toggle system while the nambu doesn't.

It's also a good thing Mr. Ruger copied the Nambu type 14, rather than the Nambu type 94. That exposed sear sounds like a fantastic idea!

learn something new everyday.

And I thought the big fault of the Nambu was that you could set it off by applying pressure to the left side of the frame either on purpose or on accident.

That's the Nambu 94. The 14 is the lugeresque version.

Edited by Garufa
Guest Law of Thirds

The nambu shares a shape with the Luger. That's all. Internally it's much closer to the C96 Broomhandle mauser, while still being a unique system. So Mr. Ruger's lovely 22 is a nice piece of japanese engineering vaguely inspired by german weapons of the time period.

Edited by Law of Thirds