Anyone using a Galco JAK202 Slide might want to read this

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, whatever....I'll reserve opinions on that style holster in the first place, but I do have a couple of them, and can tell you that the one in the article seems too small for that gun. The ones I have intended for backup use of the guns I've put in them, the guns fit in deeply enough to entirely cover trigger housing. One is leather, and one is a "leather like" material, but I can't see either of them doing this, regardless of how soft they got.

- OS

Mehh, that's what you get with apathy and sloppy carry habits. If you assume you're kit is good just cuz you bought nice stuff, then you deserve it. If you don't do periodic [frequent] inspection of your carry setup then you deserve it. In the photo, you can see that accident a mile away. If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. Personally, and this is gonna sound really crazy until you actually think it through; The perfect time to inspect your holster is during the time you are ruling your kingdom atop the porcelain throne. I always take mine out of the holster and lay it on the sink next to me so it's a simple matter of just giving everything the once over. You can catch up on your reading the next go 'round.

It is not the holster's fault. It is not the gun's fault.

It is the person who didn't make sure his equipment was in good order. It looks like the holster has been used a lot. I would have removed it from carry duty a long time ago.

I admire Glocks but has this been another gun with a safety it likely wouldn't have happened.

Dolomite

I was thinking the same thing Dolomite. I'm definitely not trying to rag on Glock here but even an XD probably wouldn't have gone off in that situation.

If that had been me, it would have gone off when I holstered. I always push down hard enough that my pants move. I want to make sure its in as tight as can be.

Edited by Capbyrd
Guest goomba

I was just going to post that article.

no mater what firearm you choose to carry. be sure to select quality gear, and maintain the gear. which includes replacing the gear.

that holster should have been replaced a long time ago.

Classic example of someone not keeping tabs on the condition of their carry rig. You think this wouldn't have happened had it not been a Glock? How about all the folks who carry DAO handguns and revolvers after doing a high-speed trigger job? Let's face it, it isn't the gun's fault.

Incidentally, I don't care for the majority Galco leather because it is too thin and soft (although it looks darn nice). I actually started making my holsters because the Galco holster I paid almost $100 for was so floppy after a couple of months that I couldn't use it anymore. In all fairness, consider how many millions of Galco slide holsters are out there and how this is the first time we've heard of such an incident. I hardly think this is any more than a freak combination of events and a good reminder to check your carry rig regularly.

+1 for what m&pc9 said.

Not a glock guy, but I don't see anything the subject did that couldn't also happen to any DA Revolver, Kahr, Kel-Tec, any pistol with a Decocker only lever such as Ruger 95DC/CZ75D, and even some of the M&P models.

Blaming it on the Glock and not the user is not a very well reasoned response.

Guest rockyriverleather

Wouldn't rag on Galco, that's for sure. Each holster has a specific duty, and that one is not meant for repeated every day carry, like he used it for over a year straight. It's meant for lightweight occassional carry. It's just cowhide and an unreinforced throat. In reholstering he should have been a lot more careful. Personal responsibility means you have to use your gear right and keep it in good working order. For his frame and use, he would have been better off with a reinforced pancake, or reinforced belt slide. IMHO

Guest m&pc9
Not a glock guy, but I don't see anything the subject did that couldn't also happen to any DA Revolver, Kahr, Kel-Tec, any pistol with a Decocker only lever such as Ruger 95DC/CZ75D, and even some of the M&P models.

Blaming it on the Glock and not the user is not a very well reasoned response.

Everybody knows a Glock will not pass a chance to shoot you in the a$$. The other pistols would have refused to fire. But a Glock is out to get tail.

Everybody knows a Glock will not pass a chance to shoot you in the a$$. The other pistols would have refused to fire. But a Glock is out to get tail.

True that. I suppose that the glock apologists could make a good case that they work in rain, snow, and between two fat folds strapped on a sweaty and hairy man in his wife's car at the local greasy spoon. You know, because they are perfection. :)

And he probably wouldn't have had this problem if it had been designed to go the other way...

Or if, more importantly, he had not worn it for what looks like years past its useful life. In some of those pics, you can see that the leather had started to fold into the trigger guard LONG ago. If you could put that on day after day and either not notice or care, maybe carrying a gun is not your thing.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
Or if, more importantly, he had not worn it for what looks like years past its useful life. In some of those pics, you can see that the leather had started to fold into the trigger guard LONG ago. If you could put that on day after day and either not notice or care, maybe carrying a gun is not your thing.

B-b-b-but why should he have to pay attention at all?!?!? FACT: if you put a gun in a holster it will always be 100% safe all of the time no matter what. FACT: this guy put his gun in a holster. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that the Glock was just doing what they all do and deliberately attacked his butt. :D