I have a dilemma

I'm selling some stuff on ebay, and long story short one of my items hit the jackpot. I was seriously considering getting a rifle (don't have any yet), but now I'm leaning towards this.

Galco Quad Magazine Carrier And the jackass rig to put it on.

I posted this in firearm accessories because I'm leaning towards the mag holster, but I'm not 100% on it so I thought I'd get some other opinions.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

What are your reasons for thinking a shoulder holster would be useful for you, and what do you anticipate carrying in it?

The shoulder holster is entirely for the quad magazine carrier for my 1911. Basically, it's for a SHTF situation when I need to have large amounts of loaded magazines at my disposal. I figure it'll go well under an old army ranger vest I got from Friedman's that's decked out with emergency tools, knives, flashlights and about 50 12 gauge shells. Pluse, a new gun in a new calibur means new ammo, new cleaning supplies, all kinds of additional expenses. I've already got the magazines I need to fill up the quad carrier, so there wouldn't be any expenses past the initial purchase. On the other hand it just doesn't feel right not having some kind of rifle amongst my firearms.

Lol!

Get a rifle. You can find better ways to store magazines than that thingy, IMO. I could easily fit 4 1911 mags into regular pants pockets, or 2 into a regular "secret" pocket of a jacket/sport coat/etc, and you can get a holster that holds 1 extra alongside the gun without losing much (on a gun that big, it wont add to the conceal carry problems at all to stuff a mag into the holster with it). There are a multitude of other ways to carry mags effectively, and if the choice is between gear and a gun, get a gun IMHO.

I can't wear the 4-mag shoulder pouch.

It interferes with the 8-gun holster vest I wear under my ballistic trench coat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

:rofl: :rofl:

Ebow. Consider an XD45. Just two extra mags will give ya 40 shots total.

- OS

Guest Broomhead

What about, instead of getting a gun with a new caliber, you get a pistol caliber carbine. HiPoint carbines are good, they come in 9mm, .40S&W, and ,.45ACP. There are also the Marlin Camp 9 and Camp 45, but these will be difficult to find. Beretta has the Storm PX4 in 9mm. Kel-Tec has the Sub2000 in both 9mm and .40S&W. Lastly, there are lever-action rifles chambered for .38sp, .357mag, .44sp, and .44mag (I think the last two exist, but I could be wrong).

Also, if you don't have one yet, a shotgun is a must have. Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s are the two most popular brands/models.

In a true SHTF situation, which you seem to be preparing for, you will need a rifle. Pistols are made to fight your way to your rifle. Forget the quad mag carrier and put that money toward a rifle.

+1

Except for some very rare circumstances, shoulder rigs are a PITA as far as I am concerned. They are popular because of Miami Vice. I have a Galco Miami Classic I picked up years ago, wore it once, put it in a box and haven't worn it since. I have made a few shoulder rigs for folks, but they were pilots and/or military folks playing over in the sandbox who needed an easy way to carry the M9 over their issued gear. Skip the rig, get a rifle. As one other person mentioned, I got a pistol caliber carbine. It's a Kel Tec Sub 2000 that will share mags with my Glock 22. It's great because it folds in half and can easily be carried in a backpack. I'm gathering mags including one 33 round mag and figure that's more than enough for most any situation I might encounter. Those are in the safe with my Remington 870 and my AR15. If all that doesn't do what I could ever need it to do, I probably deserve to be eaten.

I'm readin' reviews that their Nano IWB is pretty comfortable, and I'm planning on ordering that one. I already have an IWB from Caldwell Gunleathers, but the holster caves in slightly from the pressure of the belt once the gun is removed and makes re-holstering difficult.