Tennessee the most corrupt state?

Here is a study I came aross last year. Thought it might be interesting for everyone here to see.

The Most Corrupt States - Galleries - The Daily Beast

The Most Corrupt States - The Daily Beast

Each of the following data sets was weighted equally:

•Public corruption, 1998—2008: Convictions of elected and other public officials investigated by federal agents over an 11-year period, from the Department of Justice.

•Racketeering and Extortion, 1998—2008: Code for organized crime convictions, also investigated by federal agents over an 11-year period, from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

•Forgery and Counterfeiting, 1999—2008: Arrest numbers for producing or distributing fake money and goods over a 10-year period, from the FBI.

•Fraud, 1999—2008: Arrests for false statements or documents produced for personal gain over a 10-year period, from the FBI.

•Embezzlement, 1999—2008: Arrests for surreptitious theft of money over a 10-year period, from the FBI.

By using a decade’s worth of federal data, we were able to minimize changes in local law enforcement efficacy, though some flaws remain: local cases go undocumented, and the FBI data is self-reported by local law enforcement. When combined, however, the data provides a fairly deep look into which jurisdictions are uncovering the most corruption. We leveled the playing field by calculating the numbers on a per-100,000 people basis.

Some states show particular prowess in one area of corruption or another. New York leads with racketeering and extortion, Delaware is tops in embezzlement, while the nation’s capital leads the pack in public corruption. But only one state is consistent across the board. Click here for the results.

Dolomite

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cruznmore

A list of the most corrupt of states with Illinois at #47? Me thinks they are just above The Onion when it comes to my trust in their journalistic abilities.

A list of the most corrupt of states with Illinois at #47? Me thinks they are just above The Onion when it comes to my trust in their journalistic abilities.

Has me wondering, as well. While the "good ol' boy" network has been in place for decades here, it's hard to imagine we're #1.

I could tell you why we have the "Metropolitan Government of Davidson County," but I wouldn't post it publicly...

Funny, in recent 'studies', I've also seen Tennessee listed as 'happiest state' and '7th free-est' state.

Methinks these are all a bunch of crap (though the study listing TN as the 7th free-est seemed the most accurate in the spread they used to measure financial and personal freedoms)...

Guest HvyMtl

1gewehr and Alpha - spot on.

We prosecute our corrupt politicians... Apparently, other states re-elect them.

I put little faith in these type of rankings, as they seem to cherry pick what statistics they use.

Remember what Mark Twain said about statistics...

Remember what Mark Twain said about statistics...

I had to look it up, but I remembered what a college professor said

Most people start with the answer they want and work backwards to get the question in statistics. He told us about when he worked for a pharmaceutical company and he would need help with a study he would go to a person and the person would ask so what do you need to prove?

He said with the right data you could link birth rates to in India to the number of cheeseburgers sold in Canada.

I had to look it up, but I remembered what a college professor said

Most people start with the answer they want and work backwards to get the question in statistics. He told us about when he worked for a pharmaceutical company and he would need help with a study he would go to a person and the person would ask so what do you need to prove?

He said with the right data you could link birth rates to in India to the number of cheeseburgers sold in Canada.

Well said. After all is said & done, Ill. is still the front runner. TN is hanging in there tho.

...Let's face it, since this is based on the states that actually CATCH criminals, the numbers will be automatically wrong. In the most corrupt states, the crooks don't ever get arrested. ....

1gewehr hit a home run here. He is exactly right. The "real corrupt" states (...read rustbelt big city locations...) do not catch their criminals.

Keep up the good work.

leroy

Edited by leroy
spellin!!!!!
Guest 6.8 AR

Tennessee may have its flaws, like any other state,

but I don't think I would move because of a study

made by someone somewhere else. Most of our

problems came from elsewhere and need to be

exported back. We can take care of ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk