Hiking Pistola?

Guest bkelm18

Guest monkeyhumper

There have been many reported cougar attacks from cats coming from Lookout Mountain as of late. The cougars are typically in heat, as their mates have shown little interest over the last few years. If you set traps, there are only a few things that even attract them anymore. I've had good luck with collagen, Aqua Net, spanx, and leopard print thongs.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mrkirker

I hike and camp in west Texas, in the Big Bend National Park, and on a private ranch above Fort Davis, Texas. I carry a 1006 under my arm, and have a Model 36 stashed on my person as a back-up. When I'm out and about in East Tennessee and Western NC, I sub a 4006 for the 10mm.

I would usually carry my G26/G19 with a back up mag....just like I would everywhere else. Like some have already said, it's not the animals/critters you usually have to worry about........however if I do plan to go off the beaten path into "no mans" land, I will upgrade to a .357 for sheer penetration. I only worry about black bears or wild hogs/boars.....

I used to carry my well-worn S&W M19 when hiking. The only time I actually used it was many years ago when it was still legal to shoot Copperheads (snakes). These days, I would agree that two-legged predators are the biggest threat. You normal EDC weapon should be fine.

Guest mds3d
I hike with the cub scouts and if in a legal place to do so I carry.

I think either the .357 or .45 is appropriate.

Mike, just so you know... If you are hiking with the Cub Scouts, the BSA frowns on the carrying of handguns while participating in a scouting activity. I am not saying you should stop, just wanted to make sure you know. If you are curious the rule is in the Guide to Safe Scouting. I have been trying to get national to remove that rule for years, but it is a slightly politically motivated rule.

On the original topic. I would think that .357 or similar (or bigger) would be appropriate.

Around here your every day CCW is probably fine for hiking. If you are going to be around bears and have a weakish EDC, pack something larger of course. I would probably take my desert eagle .44 mag if I were expecting bears, if not, my usual .40 is good enough. Don't think I would pack under a 9mm if expecting any sorts of angry animals, and might consider a backup revolver with shot-shells for smaller nasties.

Guest bkelm18

Well, most wilderness areas around here have the chance, however small, of bears, though honestly I have no illusions of being able to shoot and stop a bear bent on harming me. I carry bear spray though as a deterrent.

Bkelm,

I hike a lot, although I never have a trail. Begin a forester I am usually in areas where human interactions are rare, therefore lowering the chances of animals being scared off ahead of my arrival. I carry mainly for wild hogs and humans. The hog population is getting very high in some areas, as well as people cookin Meth and other illegal activities. I carry a 4" 1911 .45 and a spare mag. I feel humans could be stopped with something less powerful, but hogs just never seem to amaze me with their resilience

Guest bkelm18
Bkelm,

I hike a lot, although I never have a trail. Begin a forester I am usually in areas where human interactions are rare, therefore lowering the chances of animals being scared off ahead of my arrival. I carry mainly for wild hogs and humans. The hog population is getting very high in some areas, as well as people cookin Meth and other illegal activities. I carry a 4" 1911 .45 and a spare mag. I feel humans could be stopped with something less powerful, but hogs just never seem to amaze me with their resilience

To be honest it's the hogs that worry me more than the bears.

This. I've been chased by one of those beasts in the Smokies before.

really? I hadn't even really considered that. The main reason I carry when hiking is due to the fact that I usually go to places that are pretty remote(Big South Fork) and if someone wanted to do something really nasty to me or my GF it wouldn't be too hard.

Most of trail heads at BSF are very remote and they have problems with vehicles being broken into. I would hate to walk up on some Bubba breaking into my car if I was unarmed.

And even though Black Bear attacks are rare I'd rather not be a statistic. I just saw this episode on Animal Planet where a woman and her family were attacked in the Cherokee National Forrest in 2006.

Story of bear attack to air | timesfreepress.com

And also, I'm not sure how ANYONE can watch Deliverance and ever go hiking without a gun again...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQb70fnjWg7Uy-SFfhEBLytbs-MJN70R99d_EKNAznRQw_l5nWN

Mike, just so you know... If you are hiking with the Cub Scouts, the BSA frowns on the carrying of handguns while participating in a scouting activity. I am not saying you should stop, just wanted to make sure you know. If you are curious the rule is in the Guide to Safe Scouting. I have been trying to get national to remove that rule for years, but it is a slightly politically motivated rule.

On the original topic. I would think that .357 or similar (or bigger) would be appropriate.

I have taken several layers of online scout training ( Youth Protection, This is Scouting, Denleader Fast Start , Cubmaster Fast Start) and have yet to see any mention of firearms. I watch the video's real close. Even if they said no I would carry anyway. The grandson's safety is way more important to me than me being a certified leader.

But thanks for the tip anyway. I just won't buy the book :)

I carried last weekend in a state park during our pack campout. Casually concealed. Someone must have seen it or people really aren't observant.

i really like the idea of a .357 Mag for hiking for penetration of any attacker.

I came across this bear in NC last year. I think it was after all the blueberries that were on the ridge around us. It stood its ground after spotting me and huffed once or twice. I backtracked slowly. Oh, and I had my .357 SP101 on me at the time but I didn't feel threatened. I've run into hogs a couple of times and they just ran the other way.

2209119170094967931S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm also far more worried about people and hogs than bears. My only bear encounter involved the bear doing it's best to be invisible. It dropped flat on it's belly and laid there motionless about 50 yds away. We backed away slowly to about 100 yds and it got up and ran away.

I typically wear a pack when I hike. Sometimes the pack contains the usual snacks, drinks, first aid kit, etc. Sometimes it also contains one of my kids. My IWB holster doesn't provide good access while wearing the pack. I've been thinking of getting one of those safe-packer holsters, but they seem awfully expensive for what they are. I also carry bear spray.

edit... (off topic)... JMR... dig the avatar. Loved that movie when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in ages.

I have taken several layers of online scout training ( Youth Protection, This is Scouting, Denleader Fast Start , Cubmaster Fast Start) and have yet to see any mention of firearms. I watch the video's real close. Even if they said no I would carry anyway. The grandson's safety is way more important to me than me being a certified leader.

But thanks for the tip anyway. I just won't buy the book :)

I carried last weekend in a state park during our pack campout. Casually concealed. Someone must have seen it or people really aren't observant.

i really like the idea of a .357 Mag for hiking for penetration of any attacker.

The scout motto is "be prepared". Therefore, by having your CCW, you are well inside the spirit of the scouts, even if the current leadership has grown sloppy. When I was in scouts, probably the 80's, we still had a shooting range at the camp!

Guest mds3d
The scout motto is "be prepared". Therefore, by having your CCW, you are well inside the spirit of the scouts, even if the current leadership has grown sloppy. When I was in scouts, probably the 80's, we still had a shooting range at the camp!

Its not the spirit that I was warning a about. The rule is generally ignored by those who know it except at BSA properties. The rule is several years old ( was probably there in the 80s) and is unrelated to having shooting ranges at camp. Almost all camps still have rifle and shotgun ranges.

I am all about being armed while in the woods. I just wanted Mike to know that he might encounter some resistance while being with the cub scouts and where it came from.