Things to know about Tennessee

Guest UberDuper

Guest UberDuper

I don't think I'll have any trouble fitting in with the general demeanor. I might talk a little funny tho. :rolleyes:

Tennessee is a place I want to be because of what you guys are saying about the people and the landscape.

We are having a bit of trouble finding a house to rent. It's still a bit early to find a place, however we're starting to find adds for homes that'll be ready June 1st. There are a ton of scams on craigslist and it's getting frustrating to find a house that looks perfect for us only to get an email back that's so obviously a scam it's amazing people fall for these. Are there any local websites or agencies worth using out there to find a rental house?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mrkirker

1) Never mind tellin' folk you're from away, they'll know it, soon as you open your mouth.

2) As someone said, we've four seasons, sometimes all in the same week.

3) Watch a movie called Deliverance. You won't find sech often, but you'll know to back out fast when you do.

4) DO NOT under any circumstances make fun of anyone of anything. The Gomer in front of you is probably related to them, or might work for the org you're getting ready to disrespect.

5) If someone looks at you and says, "Je-heezes Christ", DO NOT reply, "No, but I can take a message!"

If you can swing it, take a look in Cannon County. "Forrest paused there."

Guest DELETED

There is a swamp at one end and mountains at the other and every inch inbetween is beautiful. The only people here who wear cowboy hats are the tourists. Nashville is just like any other big city. Nobody here says "Aw shucks, ma'am" unless they are trying to sound country.

Guest Jamie
The only people here who wear cowboy hats are the tourists.

That's not quite true... I don't leave the house without my stetson on my head, and I was born and raised here.

... I've also never been accused of being a tourist. :rolleyes:

Myhat-1.jpg

As someone said earlier, don't get uptight when the light turns green and there isn't immediate movement. Count... 1...2...3... they'll get goin'.

There's a valid reason for that...wait for oncoming traffic to stop running the red light.

Guest mrkirker
There's a valid reason for that...wait for oncoming traffic to stop running the red light.

If there's an award for Comment of the Day, your's iz da WINNER!

a friend of mine married a woman from out their and she thinks biscuits and gravy are nasty and she will not eat beans and cornbread. what ticks me off is that she does not want guns in the house. i wear mine in anyway.

Guest TackleberryTom

There are plenty of illegal immigrants here in Nashville so, you should feel right at home.

Tennessee is actually a great state. I grew up in Dayton beach and moved here a few years ago by way of Michigan. I an here to stay.

That's not quite true... I don't leave the house without my stetson on my head, and I was born and raised here.

... I've also never been accused of being a tourist. :rolleyes:

I think he meant in Nashville. Cowboy hats in the city are usually reserved for (a) people going to Fan Fair or (:shake: people who perform at Fan Fair. But there's always an exception or two. You'll always see more downtown around the honky-tonks.

Edited by monkeylizard
a friend of mine married a woman from out their and she thinks biscuits and gravy are nasty and she will not eat beans and cornbread. what ticks me off is that she does not want guns in the house. i wear mine in anyway.

Beans and cornbread an Biscuits and gravy should be a requirement to live here (:

Guest UberDuper

What's it cost to heat/cool a typical house out there? In the hottest 3 months out here my electric bill is between $400 and $500/month.

What's it cost to heat/cool a typical house out there? In the hottest 3 months out here my electric bill is between $400 and $500/month.

Thats going to depend on your home size, type of unit, how cold you want it, etc. A dehumidifier might go a long way to making it feel better inside in the summer. I hate to even give a number for this because of all the variables. A better check is to look at how many kilowatthours you burned in a month & check the rate here...

Guest GunTroll

Get ready to loose all the BLM land that you may be accustomed to. Just going for a drive to "pop" some rounds off isn't near as easy as the west. I'm more or less from WY and that has been an issue for me here. But there are places that make up for that if you live in and around Nashville. Indoor pistol ranges are big here.

Sales tax is high though. "We" proudly voice that our taxes are low but I'll be darned if the local governments haven't found other ways to get it from you other than state income tax's. Nickel and dime you to death till you figure them out :P .

All and all TN has been good to me and mine.

Welcome

I live in Nashville proper, and we rarely have an electric bill over $160 for our 1,000 sq ft home, and it was built in 1932 (very inadequate insulation). We average about $110 a month for electrical and $40 a month for gas. During the worst of summer or winter, we budget $350 for both, and have never gone over.

Nashville area.

I think you will like it if you are moving here of your own choice - that is not forced by job (like military). As another poster wrote, just get used to the pace and things will be great. My native California wife - never lived anywhere else until we moved here a few years ago (coming home for me) LOVES it. We were driving Sunday, down some "backroads" and she commented again how much she is enjoying it. And I fully agree - especially spring and fall.

Considering I never thought I would be back here, after leaving as a hard-headed 19 Yr old to join the Navy, my coming back after being gone for over 30 years was an experience/reconnection to my roots, I am glad I am here, and enjoy it very much. This area (I am in Montgomery County - about an hour NW of Nashville proper) was where I grew up.

This is America I think, like many southern and midwestern states - very unlike the artificial atmosphere of the coastal areas. Another great thing about TN is our proximity to many places - you will be a days drive from some prety good vacation spots - along with a LOT of great places to visit within the state.

Again, welcome and enjoy the wonders of our great Volunteer State when you get here!

Guest nashvegas
Agreed, they run more red lights here than in any other place I have been in the country. Been here a few years and still have to shake my head.

Also, the use of turn signals is optional.

Guest Jamie
The what's????

That funny light on the dash, that blinks on occasion, even though there's nothing wrong with the vehicle. The one that can go on for miles....

I don't think I'll have any trouble fitting in with the general demeanor. I might talk a little funny tho. :D

Tennessee is a place I want to be because of what you guys are saying about the people and the landscape.

We are having a bit of trouble finding a house to rent. It's still a bit early to find a place, however we're starting to find adds for homes that'll be ready June 1st. There are a ton of scams on craigslist and it's getting frustrating to find a house that looks perfect for us only to get an email back that's so obviously a scam it's amazing people fall for these. Are there any local websites or agencies worth using out there to find a rental house?

Just off the top of my head, and not knowing if this has already been answered - try the area realtors (Century 21, REMax, etc). for rental leads.

... I've also never been accused of being a tourist. :D

Myhat-1.jpg

Good lookin' hat! Where'd ya find the homely model?

I moved here from the UK, two years ago & everything these guys have said is true.

'Sir & Ma'am' go a long way as do; 'Please, Thank you & You're Welcome'

Driving in the country is a lesson in relaxation, the city, not so much. Turn signals are indeed, optional (as are brake lights, bumpers, windshields & tailgates)

Allergy avoidance; Don't go with meds that have the warning; ' Take 2 pills every 4 to 6 hours as needed'

What you're looking for is a Warning label that reads 'Take one & brace yerself!'

Everything you'll ever need can be found at any country Gas Station.

Grits are optional, despite what everyone will tell you! :P

Everyone really is as friendly as you think. It ain't an act! When someone says 'Y'all have a good day now!' They really want you to have a great day!

Distance is always measured in time. 40 miles means nothing. Depending on the route, 40 miles could be anything from 30 minutes to an hour-and-a-half.

You can't get a seat at ANY restaurant on a Sunday between 11 & 1 o'clock without a 30 minute wait.

Oh, and the opening day of Dove season is a State Holiday.

You'll love this! The TVA has, as far as I know, the lowest electric rates in the entire nation. I have a 2000sf house, and the electric bill averages around $200 per month. No gas or other methods of heating.