HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

Guest rsgillmd
I wounder if it make any difference in waiting time if you have lived in many different states or counties since they likely do background checks on you to those counties etc???

just a thought I haven't lived here all my life so I am afraid I will have to wait a while yet

AJ, I doubt it makes any significant difference the number of locations you've lived.

I've had 3 addresses in the past 5 years (not counting my current TN address) in 2 different states. I only moved to TN in July.

If it matters, as a reference I got fingerprinted 3/16, my permit was apparently issued 4/20 (based on the expiration date), and mailed 4/23. I got it on 4/26 because it was waiting for me Tuesday morning.

It may feel like forever, but TN beauraucracy in general seems to move faster than other states. I have 3 medical licenses besides TN (I got them when I wasn't sure where I would end up). TN was the least painless and fastest process I've been through.

If you are really anxious you can call the number listed elsewhere in this thread or on Cogent's website, but give yourself a reality check first: you've survived fine all this time without carrying a handgun, so waiting a little while longer is unlikely to be of critical importance in the long run. Of the people I've run into at the range, some had to wait up to 6 weeks. So give it at least that amount of time.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest waldo

I did the DMV and finger print thing on 3-15. HCP showed up today. Faster than I expected but still took longer than it should. Anyway, it feels really good to finally have it.

Guest J.D.D

Friend of mine turned in all his paperwork 4-7-10 and got his lic. in the mail today 4-28-10

3 Weeks. It looks like they are getting faster!

Guest charlie8584

Certificate 4/18, paperwork to DMV and prints 4/19. Was told by DMV they are now slow. Would take 90-120 days. That's not what this thread indicates. Guess the girl at DMV was trying to be conservative! I hope so. I expect my permit by Middle of Mayy. Hope it comes sooner.

4/10 Renewal application mailed.

4/22 Received letter saying my app had been received.

4/22 Received notice that my permit will expire in a few months.???

(Evidently no inter-office communication.)

4/30 New permit received.

20 days including weekends.

Just curious. When you renew early, does your renewal date change to when your new HCP was issued or does your first issue date remain the same and just gets extended 4 years. Just wondering if by renewing real early you would lose time or if your issue date stays the same. Thanks

Just curious. When you renew early, does your renewal date change to when your new HCP was issued or does your first issue date remain the same and just gets extended 4 years. Just wondering if by renewing real early you would lose time or if your issue date stays the same. Thanks

It doesn't actually have an issue date, just an expiration.

Mine has the original expiration date, which is in August.

So This one is good for 4 years and 4 months.

4/10 HCP Safety Class :up:

4/12 DMV Application Submitted (Lunch Time) :P

4/12 Cogent Fingerprints @ G&L (Dinner Time) :tough:

5/4 HCP received (Happy Time) :rock:

Including Weekends: 22 Days (Priceless) :cool:

Edited by D3vo
Guest Letereat!
besides if you call, that takes the fun out of charging the mailman everyday like a rabid animal LMAO!!!

LMAO!!!!

Guest mac_05evo

Class on 04/15, DMV 04/16, HCP received 05/07!!! Wally Walk as soon as my holster arrives.

Edited by mac_05evo
Guest charlie8584
Certificate 4/18, paperwork to DMV and prints 4/19. Was told by DMV they are now slow. Would take 90-120 days. That's not what this thread indicates. Guess the girl at DMV was trying to be conservative! I hope so. I expect my permit by Middle of Mayy. Hope it comes sooner.

permit in hand 5/7 fast

Guest Gillespk

Class on 4/24, DMV and prints on 4/26. Called DMV today an was told I was approved as of 5/7. Now have to wait on mailing, which they said could be 7 to 14 business days. Anyone have any experience on times between approval and mailing? Already have the holster ready and read the rules for a proper Wally walk. Will give me a good excuse to go check on 380 ammo anyway!

I was told my approval was on 4/08/10 and that it was sent to the print farm on 4/12/10. I was also told to expect a 10 day wait for the print farm to send it out, but was pleasantly surprised on 4/13/10 when it came in my mailbox. So good luck and enjoy!

Here's the number to call:

1-615-251-8590

I got my renewal form back around the last week in October 2009 and didn't mail in until the first week of November 2009.

My HCP ran out in January of 2010.

As of the middle of February 2010, (when I called)I hadn't even been processed yet.

Finally got my new HCP around March 10, 2010.I've heard if you make the "phone call" and inquire nicely, the nice lady on the other end will find your paperwork and move you "a little closer to the front of the line". But, I'm not believing it. She will tell you that there have been cut backs and a new computer program setup that no one really understands it....please be patient. Never mind that your check has been cashed one week after mailing it in.

Basically, what it comes down to is as soon as you get your renewal in the mail, fill it out, make out your check, and mail it in ASAP.

Guest Gillespk

It came in today's mail!!! Turn around was far better than I originally expected. Now onto planning that Wally or Target walk.

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

Went to the DMV today (5-14-10), submitted my application, paid the fee, had my picture made and went for fingerprinting. My buddy got his carry permit in 19 days. I hope mine gets back that fast. I will keep you posted.