Holster question - with or without thumb break

Guest PapaB

Guest PapaB

I'm looking at holsters for my S&W SD9 and find them available with or without thumb breaks. Is there any benefit to a thumb break for me? Here's how I'll use it.

Jeans and a t-shirt, OWB 1 or 2 o'clock, some walking and standing but mostly sitting. I'm disabled so no running, jogging, bending over or such.

I don't have any experience with holsters but I don't see the need for a thumb break if the holster has a retention screw to keep a good grip on the gun. Am I missing something?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd

a thumb strap is a must if you are going to carry open.

if you are going to always carry concealed, then dont get one.

Why a thumb break for open carry? I don't do anything when I carry that would warrant a thumb break. LEOs use them for retention when they're jumping or rolling around on the ground. I can see very few circustances where I'd ever need a thumb break.

If your holster has adequate retention, then a thumb break isn't necessary. However, only you can define "adequate retention" and "necessary".

Why a thumb break for open carry? I don't do anything when I carry that would warrant a thumb break. LEOs use them for retention when they're jumping or rolling around on the ground. I can see very few circumstances where I'd ever need a thumb break.

So it's more difficult for someone else to grab your gun, since they can see it.

Guest friesepferd

yea. although i dont find it necessary to have one for open carry, it certainly makes me feel better.

i certainly have all intention of making sure nobody walks up behind me and tries to grab my gun, but it can happen - especially if in a crowded area.

id prefer to make it more difficult for someone to just walk up behind me and grab my gun.

ISo it's more difficult for someone else to grab your gun, since they can see it.

If you are in such a situation where you fear someone may grab your pistol from your holster, it seems to me extremely ill advised to go to that place in the first place. I carry IWB and for someone to grab my gun before I could, even in an open carry situation, seemed decidedly unlikely. But, OK.

Weapon control. I worked the streets and have seen many unsecured weapons go skidding down the street.

All my holsters have thumb breaks. I pop the snap at the first sign of any trouble; snap it back when its over.

Guest PapaB

Thanks for the replies everyone. I should have mentioned it'll be concealed. I couldn't see any need for the thumb break in my situation but I'm not experienced like many of you.

Thanks again.