I did a 5K Today. Mid-Life Crisis?

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

Today, in the cold, driving rain and 55 degrees, I did a 5K benefit run. More of a walk-to-jog, but hey...

I'm not a runner. I'm perhaps 100 lbs overweight. I have succumbed to a sedentary lifestyle in the last 10-11 years. My daily schedule is psychotic, and meals are often late, often on the road, and often out of a sack. It has taken its toll. My knees and back are paying the price. I'm 6'7", 384 lbs and quite ashamed of myself:ugh:

Just out of graduate school, I was still running 4-6 miles on 3-4 days per week. At my best, I still had never run any competitive or challenge-runs. I was certainly not a distance runner.

I will be 40 this year.

A couple of weeks ago, my friend (in a similar health predicament) asked me to start a journey with him. His wife, who has lost 80 lbs in less than a year and never a runner...ran the Music City Half-Marathon a couple of weeks ago! He was hooked! He decided that next year, he will run it too. Interestingly enough, I had decided that this year I wanted to do something radical as well. I plan to run a Half-Marathon at 40 years old. Something I had never dreamed of.

So today, I walked a 5K benefit run.

You gotta start somewhere...I will keep you posted on my progress, and as I approach the "4-0", I have a feeling I will need one of these:

bucket-list.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

Awesome, Bronker!

Never too late to take some time for your most important patient. You're useless to your family, friends and patients if you're dead!

As a runner, if I can be of use to you in putting a training regimin together, let me know.

Congrates! That's great! Job well done! You can enjoy every weekend running 5k events this time of year.

At 40, people really should think about where you need to be in the next 5 years. Make a plan to get there. Last year I did several 5ks, an 8k and a 10k but this year I've returned to my first love, the bicycle. I remember turning 30 and realizing something had to change so I took up biking. Winter shuts me down for about 3 months but I'm 52 now still loving it. Find your self something and make it work for you, before its too late.

Doing a half marathon is a great accompishment. Just training for a 10k required alot of time for me. I usually finished mid-pack in my age group. I used the local high school track because it has that rubberized surface, easier on the joints I think.

Edited by -Bristol-

Great job! Stick with it and you can do great things.

I wish I could still run because it was the one thing that I was good at and really enjoyed. Last time I ran was June 4th 2008.

During my running "hey days" I was running ~25 miles a week. I could run a single mile in 5:45, two miles in 12:30 and 4 miles in under 26 minutes. The longest I ever ran was 16 miles and at the end felt like I could have kept going. Before my helicopter accident I was running 2-3 miles a day to try to slowly work back up to my best times or at least that was the plan.

It is one thing that I really do miss.

Dolomite

OUTSTANDING!!! Work your way up slowly. Don't increase your mileage more than 10% a week. The goal is to not get injured. You can easily make the Half and it will be something you never forget.

I am on he couch recovering from a treatment to my Achilles (overuse injury). I haven't been able to run since March and I really miss it. I had planned to run a 50mile ultra on my 50th but I may have to put it off for a year.

Great story, thanks for sharing.. Great goal too!!! I've started another exercise/ diet program too (more bicycling, than running ...ie..too much skiiing = bad knees) but yah... I gained 20lbs. since I moved to TN...so its time to "climb that mountain" again... good luck to you and maybe if I'm lucky I'll get to meet you at one of the half marathons!!!

I've never in my life, run more than 7miles before.

Wishing you the best on this Bronk, seriously....you know you've got to do it, 'cause you know the Bad Things that are almost certain to happen at some point if you don't.

I just crept under 220 for the first time in maybe 5 years, that's twenty off my max, aiming at 200 even, which I'll settle for. Really tough for a geezer to do, so you oughtta be able to do 5 times better than that at your young age. :up:

- OS

Guest Bronker
...if I can be of use to you in putting a training regimin together, let me know.

I would very much appreciate that, Mac. I can PM you an email address or whatever you need.

Let's talk Nathan...I'll bring wings!

Seriously, good choice. If you want a training regimen that is kick butt and free, go to that little cabin I took you to, start clearing all those tree tops on that hill we rode up on my 4 wheeler, all the way up to the stand. You can have the wood and when your done you can kick Thors arse!!!

Guest db99wj

Great job! Was suppose to run one this weekend at my kids school, but we were in Franklin for an AAU basketball tournament. Was hoping to break the 25 minute mark, oh well, there are 5K's about every weekend here.

Not sure, as by that point they were timing people with a sun dial and a calendar!

:)

Doesn't really matter anyway. What is important is you finished the race. I know a few people so out of shape they couldn't make it a 100 feet.

Grats Bronk! This was my third Music City 1/2 Marathon! I'm also about 100 lbs over weight. Start slow. There are many articles on the internet for training. here's an example. The Runner's World.com Ultimate Half Marathon Training Plan. I'm now training for the full Music City Marathon next year! Let me know if I can help, Maybe we can do a run together!

Edited by Armed Aviator
Guest Bronker

The shameful truth. Today I am 6'7" and officially 388 lbs.

I fast-walked 35 minutes this evening.

You got to start somewhere.

Hey , dont worry about the weight , I have always heard that if you are married and happy with your wife and your life with her then you will gain some weight . I went from 165 when I was married to now at 220 . We been married 14 yrs and she is my best friend and we still have fun and enjoy each other .

Good for you doing the run ! It doesnt matter if you walked it or ran it , you did it and that is all that counts ! Good for you !