Cicadas

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils
More likely Katydids. They keep up serenade until the wee hours of the night.

Thanks Enfield. Dunno entomology. Found web pages with sample sounds. The katydids seem most likely suspect of what I typically hear. As you said. Some references say the cicadas sing mostly afternoon and early evening, and katydids go a long time into the night, as you say.

This is an interesting page for cricket and katydid sounds--

Sample Songs of Crickets and Katydids

This one is interesting on cicadas--

Cicada Mania: cicada photos, sounds & video, Brood XIX cicadas

It includes a time-lapse movie of a cicada nymph emerging from her shell--

Magicicada nymph molting

This appears to be the cicada "common sound" but I could be mistaken--

This is the sound that makes a great dog toy. The narrator identifies it as a cicada, but maybe it is some other kind of bug. Dunno.

Guest GunTroll

Last cycle or two I remember my aunt came to visit from LA and on one particular evening we were outside on the porch and she was asking "what is that sound!" we all stopped talking and tried to hear it. We heard nothing out of the ordinary. She then tried to make the sound herself and we still didn't hear what she was hearing. She said rural SC was way noisier than LA. I still have no idea what she was talking about???

Guest Lester Weevils
Last cycle or two I remember my aunt came to visit from LA and on one particular evening we were outside on the porch and she was asking "what is that sound!" we all stopped talking and tried to hear it. We heard nothing out of the ordinary. She then tried to make the sound herself and we still didn't hear what she was hearing. She said rural SC was way noisier than LA. I still have no idea what she was talking about???

When I was looking this morning for insect sounds, on the bottom of this page--

There are two samples of loud/complex katydid songs at the bottom of page where the songs are high frequency. The last one is mostly above 10 KHz and it warns that people with limited high frequency hearing will not hear much. My old ears will hear up to about 13 KHz and I didn't hear much in that recording. They also have slowed-down samples so that old folks can hear the pattern.

Maybe your aunt had better high-frequency hearing than you?

Guest Lester Weevils
Take a trip across DuPont parkway, or I-75 north. You''ll hear 'em.

Thanks. They just haven't made it to downtown Red Bank yet!

My patio looks Jonestown the morning after from dead ones. Don't what is killing them but I am sweeping/blowing it off twice a day. It isn't making a dent in them around here though. They are ever where and it does sound like some 50's syfi movie outside.

Guest GunTroll
When I was looking this morning for insect sounds, on the bottom of this page--

There are two samples of loud/complex katydid songs at the bottom of page where the songs are high frequency. The last one is mostly above 10 KHz and it warns that people with limited high frequency hearing will not hear much. My old ears will hear up to about 13 KHz and I didn't hear much in that recording. They also have slowed-down samples so that old folks can hear the pattern.

Maybe your aunt had better high-frequency hearing than you?

I was thinking we country folk were so use to it that the sound was the norm but so foreign to my aunt the city dweller. Sort of like taking a country boy to the big city. Sound overload. Then again I did shoot a lot of firearms even as a child. Not sure I ever wore protection back then.

Guest GunTroll
LA is 24/7/365 noisy...Tennessee is so quiet she's hearing the lack of sound...you, however, will go nuts in LA

Yep. I lived there for my middle school years. Very loud. Funny though, when I moved from there back to SC I thought the bugs were loud. Guess its just what you get used to is all.

I was driving off of Sand Mountain this afternoon near Trenton and I couldn't believe how loud they were. As I was driving up I-59, one would splash against my windshield every 20 seconds or so. I felt like being in Gulf Shores, AL during a love bug infestation.

they are EVERYWHERE in Hermitage/Nashville. Driving down Elm Hill Pike and I can hear them OVER my radio blasting ....

Had ATLEAST 20-30 dead ones on the deck. Hollowed out looking bodies, pretty odd considering I just moved here 2 years ago. Never experienced anything like these things.

My patio looks Jonestown the morning after from dead ones. Don't what is killing them but I am sweeping/blowing it off twice a day. It isn't making a dent in them around here though. They are ever where and it does sound like some 50's syfi movie outside.

It's a life cycle thing - they crawl underground for 13 years, surface, come out of their shells, saw twigs, lay eggs, fly around like mad, then drop dead.

As to the sound - a few yeas ago, the 17 year brood coincided with the onset of tinnanus. So for me the cicadas never stop.

Guest nicemac
None here in western williamson. I haven't seen the first one. The front of my Toyota is greasy with the little demons from going out last night though!

I am on the far east side of Williamson County. Very loud since Saturday…

Guest db99wj

Still haven't heard them. One got in the house a few years ago, flew right toward my son, as I was chasing it, should have seen the look on his face.

Cicadas + tennis racket = Loads of fun for the whole family!

Guest 6.8 AR

They were noisy as hell in Belle Meade/ Bellevue

yesterday. I heard them over the roar of the loco.

Tennis racket would be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk