Haslam signs law restricting Internet pictures

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils
Tenn. law bans posting images that "cause emotional distress"

We will all have to be kinder and gentler....

On the good side, when Haslam serves a fishing expedition warrant and kicks down the door on a facebook account, the account owner won't get shot 60 times. Or maybe he would only be shot in the virtual world. Can the college kids get arrested for growing virtual pot in farmville? :rock:

Oh yeah, thats it baby! Elect republicans to reduce gov and cut spending, and then they pull this kind of :D instead.

Oh yeah, thats it baby! Elect republicans to reduce gov and cut spending, and then they pull this kind of :D instead.

Bingo.

So tired of the republican support I hear from conservatives all over - when the republican party actually embraces conservative action, both in legislation and in spending, then we can talk. Until then the only difference between them and the dems is the letter beside their name.

From the Bill:

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally:

(4) Communicates with another person
or transmits or displays an image in a manner in which there is a reasonable expectation that the image will be viewed by the victim
by [by telephone, in writing or by electronic communication] without legitimate purpose:

(A)

(i) With the malicious intent to frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress; or

(ii) In a manner the defendant knows, or reasonably should know, would frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress to a similarly situated person of reasonable sensibilities; and

(
:D
As the result of the communication, the person is frightened, intimidated or emotionally distressed.

Guest nicemac

Almost anything could cause emotion distress to someone. I can't imagine this will stand up to challenge in its present form…

Yup...and the Westboro Baptists...how about pictures or notices of the death of American troops, pictures of the World Trade Center going down distress me terribly. Car wrecks, a picture of someone Jaywalking.

an update to an existing law that prohibited phone calls, emails, etc. that may cause emotion distress

Hmmm...I get distressed emotionally everytime a collection agency calls about my student loans.

My wife gets emotionally distressed by a creditcard collection agency who had their claim tossed out by a Knoxville Court, but they keep calling anyway.

There's more to the law than the original post:

http://volokh.com/2011/06/06/crime-to-post-images-that-cause-emotional-distress-without-legitimate-purpose/

So...the legitimate purpose part of the law keeps me from complaining about the student loans...which I am already paying and have Department of Education reciepts for...they just want more...and more...and more.

Edited by bajabuc
  • Moderators

And this law is a clear example of why the Republicans are no different or better than the Democrats. They are BOTH for bigger government and the infringement of our rights and freedoms. It's all about power, money and control and our political system is nothing more than a game to see which side can amass more of it and there is only one way to fix it.

Burn it all down and start over.

So Wiener would be subject to fines and imprisonment? Ok now I'm for the law.

How do they make a distinction between what is in the state or not. The poster....the web host....the site owner....the page owner...or did I leave something out?

Guest HvyMtl

Um. So, if I post a picture here of a gun buy back, or guns being melted into sculpture, or post an image from the Brady Campaign here, I am breaking a law?

Seriously, who the heck wrote this law? How quickly can we find someone to run against them and win?

Guest Lester Weevils

Those hunting pictures, proudly posing with fresh-killed game-- That has gotta distress tree huggers BAD! The hunters are going to jail for sure.

Seriously, who the heck wrote this law? How quickly can we find someone to run against them and win?

Lead sponsor was this goober:

h43.jpg

Charles Curtiss, Sparta. Dem of course.

First the road kill law, now this.

- OS

Politicians, regardless of party affiliation, are like rounds in a magazine... each one the same as the last.

I wonder when people are going to wake up and realize that their "vote" will make no difference.

What a stupid law that will only serve to weaken our society.

Edited by BrasilNuts