Academy Sports coming to Knoxville

Well, not on ammo most of the time. If it's in stock, Wally's is generally cheaper for same or equivalent.

Case in point, bought Monarch .223 on sale at Academy the other day, 4.99 + fee + tax. Tula .223 was cheaper regular price at Wally's, but they were out of stock. Federal .357 was cheaper at Wally's (and in stock) than any .357 at Academy period.

- OS

Yeah...I forget that people actually buy loaded ammo. I think I bought my last box sometime in the late 1980's and in my mind I am still locked into those prices whenever I go shopping.

Funny story -

I think that the last time I was in academy they were selling bulk boxed .22 ammo for $19 per 500, but noticed that they were selling the small 50 packs for $1.50 a piece....go figure. I even pointed it out to the person behind the desk and they didn't even realize the price difference....said they only sell in the 50ct. boxes about 2 or 3 a week.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its not coming till July of 2012 so hold your horses. haha Only complaint with the academy is they do not stock high end handguns. they usually max out around $600. They do have the best selection in fishing period. Gander is going to be hurting bad.
Where did you get this info? Looks like the walls are going up right now. Could be a different store next door though, they have the sign up for hiring people. Seems a little far out to hire people for July 2012, but I don't know much about staffing that's for sure
Where did you get this info? Looks like the walls are going up right now. Could be a different store next door though, they have the sign up for hiring people. Seems a little far out to hire people for July 2012, but I don't know much about staffing that's for sure
WBIR says they hope to open before holidays

http://www.wbir.com/rss/article/173302/2/Academy-Sports-and-Outdoors-to-come-to-Knoxville

I think Knox news compiled a story with Target at mortgagors that is planned to open in July 2012

• 1 month later...

I hope the chattanooga one does not suffer -- lot of people come down to it from however far away. I try to shop there regular though between loading a lot of my own ammo and not having money for guns right now, there isnt much that I need at this time, their related gear section is sort of smallish. It will be awesome if the TN citys can support them, would be nice to see one in at least the larger towns across the state.

I hope the chattanooga one does not suffer -- lot of people come down to it from however far away. ...

Well, there's TWO of them there, so I'm sure at worst there's plenty enough biz to support one of them. People come UP from all over north GA to them also, also OVER to them from east and west. :)

- OS

Well, there's TWO of them there, so I'm sure at worst there's plenty enough biz to support one of them. People come UP from all over north GA to them also, also OVER to them from east and west. :)- OS
I forgot about the other one, good point. Yea chatt pulls in people from all over with our nice selection of stores, not just gun stuff. GA folks avoid the more common stores if they can (ultra high tn sales tax) but do come for the hard to find places like academy. I also wish they had reloading supplies, there isnt enough competition for that and prices are steep at times.
  • 2 months later...

i have found the prices are hit and miss when it comes to gun/hunting/fishing items over wal mart, dicks, and sportman's. but it is nice to have all 4 stores within 3 miles of each other. they do put some good sales in the newspaper. but i have seen on the ammo sales you got to be one of the first at the store to get any. must be the gun show dealers buying up the ammo and marking up the price to sale at the gun shows. seen that before around here.

Happens around here as well.

I watched a dealer buy every brick of bulk Federal .22 for $14.97 at Walmart when people were waiting for it. I asked about getting s brick or two. He said sure, $30 a brick. He also mentioned his store at the same time. This was a few years ago but if anyone wants to know the store PM me. I have even seen Walmart tags still on firearms at shows with a $100 mark up.

Dolomite

im gonna go there tonite after work and check the place out...im glad they are here since Dick's quit selling gun stuff at the knoxville store and neither knoxville walmart carries any rifles.

I wonder if on the 18th they will have some crazy deals for the grand opening?

Rumor has it they will. Free Crocs to the first 100 visitors, door prizes and such.

I was expecting that today, so I was a little disappointed. I was sitting there at ten till eight.

I went to Maryville yesterday, the Walmart on 411 has guns, I stopped by Stars and Stripes right next to it, and then headed up to Bill's Outpost on Calderwood. I was price checking the Ruger 10/22 Carbine. Bills and S&S both had them $250+ while WM was at $197. Academy showed it at $197 on their website, so I just held off till this morning.

They had a good rush going, by the time I left at 9:30, the parking lot was packed, and more folks pulling in.

It took about an hour for the background checks to start running, so they had a slew of us sitting there waiting.

It was refreshing to see some similar faces, some of the clerks from Gander Mountain are there, Steve notably, he is a great guy and always winds up costing me money.

Their ammo prices and selections were fair, the Monarch Branded Russian stuff is a nice addition locally, I have never had a problem feeding it through my Glock or AK, so it will be nice to pick it up locally.