Old School 9mm

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

You Glock guys probably won't care for my new toy, but some others may. I've wanted a shooter Luger for quite some time, and Friday my local gun pusher had this laid on the counter. The numbers don't match, but it shoots great, and isn't in too bad a shape for a 71 year old gun that went through a world war. I believe it was manufactured by Mauser in 1940. That toggle action is certainly a Rube Goldberg affair, but it works like a swiss watch. I wonder if Bill Ruger didn't have this gun in mind when he designed his famous 22 auto pistol.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubt Bill Ruger was influenced by the Luger and the Nambu you can't look at either one and not think of Ruger's 22 pistol. ,,,,

Well, he built two duplicates of a Nambu in his garage that a buddy brought back from the Pacific, so yeah, you could say he was influenced. :D

- OS

Nice gun.

I've only had the chance to shoot one Luger so far so I don't know if it was the specific gun I was shooting but that one had some trigger slap. Is that typical of all Lugers?

What is "trigger slap"? This one has a military trigger which has some takeup, and really isn't that great, but I don't believe I've ever heard that term before.

I see. I didn't notice that, but will look for it the next time I shoot it.However, I alos have a CZ 52, and I haven't noticed it with that gun either. Maybe I'm not very observant. I have noticed on the CZ that the tirgger and the decocker perform the same function....they both fire a live round!!;)

Edited by gregintenn
I see. I didn't notice that, but will look for it the next time I shoot it.However, I alos have a CZ 52, and I haven't noticed it with that gun either. Maybe I'm not very observant.

Oh...you will know it if the gun is doing it. It gives your finger a sting. Sounds like yours aren't.

I saw and handled this gun at Antlers and Feathers the other day. Did you validate the Mauser manufacture? I didn't see any of the appropriate proof marks or inspectors marks on it for German manufacture. Even during the war they were fanatical about marks on the guns.

No, I do know the toggle was marked Mauser, but I didn't find anything on the barrel or frame. The numbers don't match between the toggle and frame. It appears to me that something has been scratched off the left side of the barrel. I'm not sure what was supposed to be there. Anyway, I wanted a shooter, and this fits the bill. I'd be scared to shoot an all original gun because of today's prices for them. I'd also be leery of buying one, because as the prices rise, so do your chances of buying a fake.

Guest PapaB

As a kid I had a Luger like this. It was an actual size plastic model and it even included the bullets.

Ah the good old days.