I picked up a new pistol (I gotz me a new gat:Memphis translation)

M4sherman

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Either that is the wrong picture or you were duped.

That is a Tokarev pistol or variant (Looks like the Yugo M57). They came in either 9mm or 7.62x25, never heard of a 380. As far as pretty penny goes they can be had all day long in the $250 range. They tend to be good shooters and the 7.62x25 round is a fun round with plenty of power. It is the only pistol caliber that will defeat soft armor as well as kevlar helmets.

Dolomite

Yep. You've got a Tokarev, not bad pistol's, pretty robust, some were converted to 9mm P, most of those were commercial model's though out of China. One word of advice, the surplus Tokarev's didn't have a safety, it wasn't considered necessary by the Soviet's, the retro fitted safety's can't be trusted.

That is a neat pistol, I also had never seen this version. 380 isnt a great pick for 3-gun though, cannot knock over the metal targets they use sometimes, makarov is just barely able to do it with hot loads, its really designed for the 9mm/.40/45 crowd.

thats what P+ is for. since it was made for 9x20 I should be able to work up some hot .380 ammo safely to make it match a 9mm's knock down. Besides it will be awsome to have an AR-15,a pimped 870 and a Old ass pistol at the same time :woohoo:

thats what P+ is for. since it was made for 9x20 I should be able to work up some hot .380 ammo safely to make it match a 9mm's knock down. Besides it will be awsome to have an AR-15,a pimped 870 and a Old ass pistol at the same time :woohoo:

Yes, if you handload, you can certainly make some ammo that will work, I was just talking commercial 380 rounds. You can load that stuff up to the point of brass failure in that gun, probably.

if it was sleeved to .380 why not have it punched back out to 9x19 if you have to reload anyways ,.. or back to 9x20 and cut down some .38ACP/Super brass to fit..and work up a loading ? would be better all around than trying to make a .380 do a 9mms job and brass is easier to come by if you go 9x19 just make sure you only run your ammo through it ,..I would think some of the hot 9mm would be lethal to that old timer..

John

when you reload almost no ammo is hard to find LOL just have to find the brass referred to a "parent case" and reform.. in the 9x20 it should be easy peasy

.38 Auto/.38Super is 9x23 so a case trimmer and shorten to 9x20 and load as a 9x19 starting data and work up looking for pressure signs..

Lyman AccuTrimmer Kit with 9 Pilots - MidwayUSA

if you get into reloading rifles,..you will need one anyways I use an old Lyman Universal my dad gave to me no telling how many casings have been through that shell holder..

John

NRA - American Rifleman has an article on these in the last issue.

All FN Browning 1903 and Husqvarna 1907 pistols were originally chambered in 9 mm Browning Long (9x20 mm). When imported from Sweden, many were modified in the United States to fire 9x17 mm (.380 ACP) cartridges as the original ammunition was almost unobtainable.
A "gat"? Really?

Do you also shoot it sideways?

as soon as these come in http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/08/22/sideways_gun_sight.jpg

seriously though when I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC we would cant the pistols when firing one handed and referred to it as 1/4 Gangsta or 1/2 gangsta 3/4 gangsta depending on how much cant,.. of course full gangsta was horizontal and anything beyond (jokingly) was "pimp" as in 1/4 pimp was something like 110 Degree and 1/2 pimp was 135 Degree never saw anyone try a "full pimp" though LOL

we left that for the trick shot artists

John

• Admin Team
as soon as these come in http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/08/22/sideways_gun_sight.jpg

seriously though when I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC we would cant the pistols when firing one handed and referred to it as 1/4 Gangsta or 1/2 gangsta 3/4 gangsta depending on how much cant,.. of course full gangsta was horizontal and anything beyond (jokingly) was "pimp" as in 1/4 pimp was something like 110 Degree and 1/2 pimp was 135 Degree never saw anyone try a "full pimp" though LOL

we left that for the trick shot artists

John

If you can get used to the sight picture, the "1/2 homie" method actually lets you absorb the recoil more naturally due to your arm geometry when shooting one handed. Imagine if you will your weapon being canted anywhere from 30-45 degrees. Your arm acts as a shock absorber of sorts and allows the recoil to come straight back at you. Try it next time you're at the range shooting one handed. You might get some funny looks, but it'll make you a better shooter.