Informed Opinions Solicited

I have an M&P 9c with Hi-Viz front sight and Crimson Trace grips that - for reasons that I'll not get into here - I do not like. I have a Taurus 738SS that I absolutely love to carry because it fits in a pocket holster in my wallet pocket: however, it is still a .380. For those who might not know the Taurus is identical to the Ruger LCP and Keltec P-3AT. I am thinking of trading the M&P for something similar to the Taurus but with a little more bite to it.

I have looked at some Smiths, Walthers, Taurus, and Rugers but sadly I do not know much about them. I would like something about the same size as the Taurus but in 9mm.

Soooo, anyone have informed opinions to share, please?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the specs - in particular the weight. Is it reliable?

Kahrs require a break in period. 200 rounds is recommended. I have a pm in .40 and after the first 100 rounds it's been totally reliable. It's also not a bad shooter for a small weapon. I use it as my primary EDC.

Kahrs require a break in period. 200 rounds is recommended. I have a pm in .40 and after the first 100 rounds it's been totally reliable. It's also not a bad shooter for a small weapon. I use it as my primary EDC.

Thanks, I'll give it due consideration. Looks about the price of the Walthers.

I would check out the Kel-Tec Pf9. I've had one for about two months and I love it! It has some punch to it though due to its size but it does what it is supposed to. I've read some having feeding issues but I think it is some older models. There was one for sale on here somewhere.

Rohrbaugh is almost exactly the same size in 9mm, but its pricy. If you go up in size a little bit, you can get a number of DAO guns already listed, such as the khars and kel-tecs or the ruger LC9. Unfortunately, to get a DA or a SA, you have to go a bit past the pocket guns; there are several that still fit but they are larger, heavier, and often fatter making them an awkward but possible choice. I manage to stuff a beretta px4 .40 into my pocket, and that is the absolute largest thing I have managed to pocket so far and its takes some work to come up with a system for so large a package. If you want small, you are stuck with a DAO apart from some stuff that is very, very hard to find and usually out of production. The walthers are in the awkward size category, its thinner but on par with my PX -- you will want to figure out exactly how much you can stand in your pocket before you go this large. If you want a DA, the taurus 709 or the walther are probably the best of the really small guns.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Admin Team

The Rohrbaugh series is a really small platform, but make sure you shoot one before you consider buying one. I know a few people who have bought one because of its size, but were disappointed because it was so hard to handle.

I love my Walther PPS. It's accurate and has been completely reliable. It's about the size you're looking for.

Yes, I fondled one of those when I was looking for a weapon for my wife. She ended up getting a 642 because of hot brass down the cleavage. It looked well-fitted, but wasn't there a problem with them? I vaguely remember reading something about there being one although I don't remember what the problem was.

I would check out the Kel-Tec Pf9. I've had one for about two months and I love it! It has some punch to it though due to its size but it does what it is supposed to. I've read some having feeding issues but I think it is some older models. There was one for sale on here somewhere.

It looks appealing since it's very close to the Taurus.

I'm looking at getting the Walther PPS for my everyday carry. I figure since I have the P22 it wouldn't be a bad idea to have nearly identical plinking and EDC guns. My friend in AZ just bought a PPS and he loves it. He can shoot incredibly accurately even at 25 yards.

I've thought about the Keltec PF9 just because a dealer around here has them for about $250, but boy do they look like poo. It still might be my first EDC just because of price.

Care to share your dislikes with the M&P9c?

It looks appealing since it's very close to the Taurus.

I'd let you come shoot it but it's a little far for ya. For the price they are worth looking at. The only thing I did with mine was polish the feed ramp and expose part of the barrel. Didn't need it but I did it for peace of mind.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Kahr CM9. Same as the PM9 without the fluff. And cheaper, too.

^^^^^ THIS. I LOVE my PM9 but for everyday carry, don't really need the match barrel, so the CM9 would be the next best. And it's quite fun at the range, which I can't say the same about my LCP. They both serve their primary, intended purposes, though. Good luck in your search--it's an excuse to handle lots of guns and then to actually get one!

^^^^^ THIS. I LOVE my PM9 but for everyday carry, don't really need the match barrel, so the CM9 would be the next best. And it's quite fun at the range, which I can't say the same about my LCP. They both serve their primary, intended purposes, though. Good luck in your search--it's an excuse to handle lots of guns and then to actually get one!

it's an excuse to handle lots of guns and then to actually get one!

Yes! The important things in life! ;)