.357 Sig ?

R_Bert

I pick up brass at several different ranges.

This year, I have recovered a lot of .357 Sig, much more than last several years. Today, I could have picked up 200-300. Is it increasing in popularity ?

Is it better/cheaper/etc than .40 S&W (pick up a lot of that too) ?

Is it even reloadable ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year, I have recovered a lot of .357 Sig, much more than last several years. Today, I could have picked up 200-300. Is it increasing in popularity ?

Is it even reloadable ?

It's not cheaper than .40 and I know that just by looking at the prices at Wal-Mart. It is reloadable but as far as popularity go, I don't know the answer there.

Now if you don't reload your own .40 and are just looking to get rid of 100 of that brass for say free...I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands :D

It's not cheaper than .40 and I know that just by looking at the prices at Wal-Mart. It is reloadable but as far as popularity go, I don't know the answer there.

Now if you don't reload your own .40 and are just looking to get rid of 100 of that brass for say free...I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands :D

wcsc12, since you are local, pm your email & phone#. I should be able to help out on the .40 brass (just pay it forward). I am between Clinton & Oak Ridge.

Bert

i have met a few police officers from different departments in tn that have switched to 357 sig. Their reasoning is that it penetrates more (not sure why you would want that) and it kicks less. I personally wanted a .357 sig glock that was compensated, but i figured i should get a 9mm before.

i have met a few police officers from different departments in tn that have switched to 357 sig. Their reasoning is that it penetrates more (not sure why you would want that) and it kicks less. I personally wanted a .357 sig glock that was compensated, but i figured i should get a 9mm before.

You may be on to it. Both of the ranges I picked brass at today are heavily frequented by PDs & SDs.

After a few searches, It looks like it is reasonably reloadable.

Is it even reloadable ?

Tennessee State Troopers have switched to .357Sig in the last few years and so have other departments . Maybe that's why you see more . They may be going out on their own and shooting some .

The sig caliber is epic fail. In a duty pistol sized gun, it is nearly identical to a 9mm round, give or take 50-100 FPS difference in velocity for the same sized bullet. If you have a 6-10 inch barrel monster pistol or a carbine, the sig begins to show 200-500 and more fps gains and is noticably better, but the police are not using such big weapons. They are just wasting taxpayer money on ammo for a tiny bit of velocity gains or possibly to shoot a slightly heavier bullet. Meanwhile, the .40 is nearly identical to the sig if a heavier bullet is used, around 130 grains for example. Its harder to reload the sig, probably, with that neck (I am guessing the cases need trimming?), there are fewer gun choices, fewer ammo choices, and absolutely no reason to move to this caliber in a duty pistol and every reason not to. Esp in a budget crunch; I do not see how TN can move to double+ priced ammo when the state is struggling to make ends meet.

It is harder to reload the bottle necked catridges. I have shot thousands of 357 sig rounds at almost every kind of imaginable target and it is a fine catridge but the performance increase over 9/40/45 is neglegiable if any.(really they all are)

Meanwhile, the .40 is nearly identical to the sig if a heavier bullet is used, around 130 grains for example.

I was intriged with the idea for awhile, and I still think it would be fun to try, but I'm not sure what the .357 Sig offers that can't be replicated with a 135 grain .40. I've only been involved with shooting a few years and I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like (kids, work, other hobbies) so I'm staying with major calibers for now. If I were to decide to get into a niche caliber, it will the the 10mm.

The sig caliber is epic fail. In a duty pistol sized gun, it is nearly identical to a 9mm round, give or take 50-100 FPS difference in velocity for the same sized bullet.

They are just wasting taxpayer money on ammo for a tiny bit of velocity gains or possibly to shoot a slightly heavier bullet. Meanwhile, the .40 is nearly identical to the sig if a heavier bullet is used, around 130 grains for example. Its harder to reload the sig, probably, with that neck (I am guessing the cases need trimming?), there are fewer gun choices, fewer ammo choices, and absolutely no reason to move to this caliber in a duty pistol and every reason not to. Esp in a budget crunch; I do not see how TN can move to double+ priced ammo when the state is struggling to make ends meet.

Hmm, seems to me that the numbers are on the side of the .357Sig. These are numbers straight from Corbon's website for plain old JHP ammo. It looks to me like the .357Sig has a substantial improvement over the 9mm +P, and a bit of a benefit over .40S&W. It seems to me that a 25% increase in energy over 9mm +P is significant.

9mm 115gr +P JHP 1350fps 466ft/lbs

9mm 125gr +P JHP 1250fps 434ft/lbs

.357S 115gr JHP 1500fps 575ft/lbs

.357S 125gr JHP 1425fps 564ft/lbs

.40S&W 135gr JHP 1325fps 526ft/lbs

As far as ammo costs go, when you buy in lots of 10,000rds or more at a time, the difference between .40S&W and .357Sig is minimal. I found quotes for $327/1000 for 9mm JHP +P, $365/1000 for .40 S&W JHP, and $368/1000 for .357S JHP if bought in 10,000rd lots. All of that was from the same US major ammo manufacturer for self-defense ammo.

I find it easier to reload a bottleneck pistol cartridge. Maybe that's just me.

Lastly, most pistols can be changed to .357Sig from .40S&W with just a barrel (and sometimes recoil spring) change.

Penetration is important. Particularly to those who may need to shoot through a car door or windshield. The .45acp and .40S&W have a poor reputation for delivering significant damage after penetrating a windshield or car door.

Hmm, seems to me that the numbers are on the side of the .357Sig. These are numbers straight from Corbon's website for plain old JHP ammo. It looks to me like the .357Sig has a substantial improvement over the 9mm +P, and a bit of a benefit over .40S&W. It seems to me that a 25% increase in energy over 9mm +P is significant.

9mm 115gr +P JHP 1350fps 466ft/lbs

9mm 125gr +P JHP 1250fps 434ft/lbs

.357S 115gr JHP 1500fps 575ft/lbs

.357S 125gr JHP 1425fps 564ft/lbs

.40S&W 135gr JHP 1325fps 526ft/lbs

As far as ammo costs go, when you buy in lots of 10,000rds or more at a time, the difference between .40S&W and .357Sig is minimal. I found quotes for $327/1000 for 9mm JHP +P, $365/1000 for .40 S&W JHP, and $368/1000 for .357S JHP if bought in 10,000rd lots. All of that was from the same US major ammo manufacturer for self-defense ammo.

I find it easier to reload a bottleneck pistol cartridge. Maybe that's just me.

Lastly, most pistols can be changed to .357Sig from .40S&W with just a barrel (and sometimes recoil spring) change.

Penetration is important. Particularly to those who may need to shoot through a car door or windshield. The .45acp and .40S&W have a poor reputation for delivering significant damage after penetrating a windshield or car door.

The price is an eye opener, I suppose I was comparing cheap 9mm and not the SD stuff, that is a valid point.

The energy levels from corbon do not give barrel lengths. Looking at ballistics by the inch, using a fairly standard 3 inch barrel (typical carry gun):

357 sig: corbon 115 grain: 1373 fps

9mm : corbon 115 : 1245 fps

357 sig: 125gr : 1373

.40 : 135 gr: 1212

so the sig is a little more potent than 9mm but not by huge amounts. The 40 does not come in so light a load (but it could be done) but is nearly identical if you were able to find identical bullet weights. The ammo makers are notorious for not giving the actual barrel length along with their supposed velocities and energy levels -- however comparing the 2 sources of data, they look to have used very similar test guns at cor bon.

Given the small price difference in quality ammo, though, I can withdraw the complaint!

Edited by Jonnin

Given the small price difference in quality ammo, though, I can withdraw the complaint!

I don't think there's any mistake that the .357 Sig is a hot round. It's just the lack of cheap practice ammo that keeps me away from it for a carry gun. If I were a reloader it would definitely be appealing.

I have no first hand experience with a .357 Sig. nor with .40. The most first-hand info I have heard about it came from a LEO who also worked at Frontier Firearms in Kingston (maybe still works there, IDK - this was when they were still in the old building.) He was complaining about his department having switched to .357 Sig just because some other, larger agencies had switched. It was his opinion that the .40 is a 'better' round as well as being much more accurate (at least in the pistols he was shooting.) In fact, he said that while he would have to carry his issued .357 Sig he would also be keeping his own, personal .40 in his patrol car and would never really trust the .357 Sig. Of course, LEOs have personal biases, too, so who knows how much of that was subjective and how much was simply his opinion.

I am no ballistics expert but doesn't the .357 Sig have similar ballistics to the 357 magnum? Doesn't the .357 magnum beat a 9mm by a mile as far as stopping power? The .357 Sig is the top of the food chain for semi-autos. 525 foot pounds at the muzzle.

Why don't I own anything in .357 Sig? The ammo is too expensive. I carry 9mm and 45acp mostly.

Today, I could have picked up 200-300. Is it increasing in popularity ?

Remind me not to hate you too much. I finally found a decent quantity of brass this year. Up till now I've had to really watch the brass to keep it from vanishing.

I like .357 sig better than any other standard auto loading handgun round. It hits hard and shoots flat. It is what I carry everyday. it is slower to reload than 9mm but it isn't that big of a deal.

Mark

I find that the .357Sig is MUCH more accurate for me than .40

I sold my G22 after trying to get decent groups.

I tried 750+ rounds and never got as good a group as I did with my first mag full of .357Sig.

(I've owned 2 G22's, never did any good with either one)

Yes, I know I'm currently selling 2 of my Glocks in .357Sig.

But I have entirely too much money in my G23 to sell it.

The plan is to buy a Sig barrel for it.

I prefer my G19 and G33 to any other of my handguns.

I am no ballistics expert but doesn't the .357 Sig have similar ballistics to the 357 magnum? Doesn't the .357 magnum beat a 9mm by a mile as far as stopping power? The .357 Sig is the top of the food chain for semi-autos. 525 foot pounds at the muzzle.

Why don't I own anything in .357 Sig? The ammo is too expensive. I carry 9mm and 45acp mostly.

The 9mm is very similar to the 357 (either type) in shorter barrel guns. It becomes QUITE a bit more powerful out of long barrel guns. It has a marginal edge over 9 in typical carry guns with 3-4 inch barrels -- barely worth mentioning. If you are carrying a 5+ barreled duty gun, the sig is a winner for sure. 525 out of what gun? Also, energy is biased with velocity over mass, use momentum to weight both equally for a much better comparison of power.

Is there not also a huge benefit in the feeding(reliability) of the bottleneck .357 over the others? Maybe this could also be a factor playing into the increase in sales to LE?

THP uses the Glock 31. I have a Glock 17 and a Glock 22, which are both the same gun in 9 and .40. Since either of them will feed any ammo I've found, I don't see how improved feeding could be much of an advantage.

Edited by JReedEsq