Looking for a .22

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really enjoy my Beretta Neo u22. It's very accurate. You have to try the grip though. it's a little different. maybe best for smaller hands.

it's accurate. it's not picky on the ammo either.

Mine's reliable now after sending in twice -- transfer bar slipping off sear, out of spec in battery safety. Or something.

Quite poor trigger though, compared to a Ruger MK. Thought it would smooth/lighten up some over time, but hasn't.

It can be had for $225 or less. Mine was just that one in 500 with a problem, I'd say.

One BIG plus, it strips down with no tools at all. Unlike needing the manual, 3 posts on TGO, and 4 YouTube videos to do same with a Ruger MK. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I like OS's Neo, but as far as 250 dollar semi auto .22's it is real hard to beat a Ruger MkIII.

A lot of the argument is why people say get a 10/22. Lots of upgrades available and it is darn nice right out of the box. Runs any brand of ammo.

You might get something as good, but you won't find one better.

The Beretta and Ruger are both good options, and I agree with the others comments.

The Beretta trigger leaves a little to be desired. Only have a few hundred round through one, but it was reliable and accurate.

The Ruger's are a pain to clean, but look at the Majestic kit. They help. This is also probably the best platform if you want to customize in the future. The Tactical Solution barrels are awesome.

Personally, I like the Browning Buckmark, but they are generally a little more expensive. It can be a little picky about some ammo, but the Remington bulk is the only thing I have had a lot of trouble out of.

While everyone else focuses on the semi-automatic .22LR pistols, I have to throw a thought in for a single action.

I grabbed a Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/.22WMR as in impulse buy earlier this year. I walked out the door at $225 I believe after tax and background. I have run two boxes of bulk through it, Federal and Winchester. A brick of CCI Mini Mags and a brick of CCI Maxi Mag .22WMR, as well as a couple of random boxes of Yellow Jacket and whatever else I had laying around.

I have found that I do not leave for the range without it, and I will spend literally hours popping empty shotgun hulls at 10-20yds with it. It is honestly the most fun gun I have.

The Heritage Rough Rider was one of the ones that I was looking at, as was the Ruger MkIII. My first handgun was a MkII and I became pretty used to the way that was disassembled for cleaning, so that doesn't scare me with the MkIII. Trouble is, I can get the Heritage RR tomorrow and without spending any more money... but the Ruger was quoted at $300 out the door, but would have to be ordered.

Thinking about this further... since I'm using it to teach my son shooting with a handgun, the RR would also force him to shoot slower, maybe giving him time to zero in a little better on his target rather than sending ten rounds down range non-stop.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Heritage though... mostly good/some bad.

Guest Lester Weevils

Ruger is good. Browning Buckmarks some say are in the same ballpark.

If I was buying a Ruger Mark II or III today maybe a 22/45 but in any case some kind of Ruger with a 4 or 5 inch barrel. Round barrel or slabside wouldn't matter to me nowadays except if one seemed prettier than the other.

I got a Mark II slabside stainless target model about Y2K. Can't recall the barrel length but it is longer than 5 inch. At the time wanted as accurate a .22 as I could afford and scuttlebut of the time said the slabside target was pretty accurate for the money.

Shot many rounds over the years and haven't had any complaints. Lately have begun to slightly complain about the weight. Just because it is a big stainless gun. As I get old it seems that being heavy and front-heavy makes it more difficult to shoot "as accurate as possible" which isn't hardly accurate for me even in the best conditions.

So a 4 or 5 inch barrel Ruger and not necessarily a model with bull barrel or whatever, might be just as much fun and might be about as "practically accurate". Dunno.

I have a few .22 adapters for fullsize pistols I like to shoot nowadays. It seems better practice with near identical ergonomics of the centerfire pistol.

The .22 adapters may or may not be as "inherently accurate" as a Ruger Mark II or III, but in my hands it doesn't matter. I group about the same with about any pistol so they all do better than I can.

The Heritage Rough Rider was one of the ones that I was looking at, as was the Ruger MkIII. My first handgun was a MkII and I became pretty used to the way that was disassembled for cleaning, so that doesn't scare me with the MkIII. Trouble is, I can get the Heritage RR tomorrow and without spending any more money... but the Ruger was quoted at $300 out the door, but would have to be ordered.

Thinking about this further... since I'm using it to teach my son shooting with a handgun, the RR would also force him to shoot slower, maybe giving him time to zero in a little better on his target rather than sending ten rounds down range non-stop.

I would choose between the semi-auto Ruger MK pistols or the Ruger Single Six revolver . They are both Ruger tough and you have the choice of pistol or revolver . These 2 particuliar Ruger firearms are built to last a lifetime . You maight have to save a little more to get the Siingle Six , but it is well worth it .

There are a few quirks with the revolver, but nothing I have found that is a deal breaker. On occasion the rounds will not seat all the way when loading, and prevent the cylinder from revolving to load the next round. I just make sure to push them in tighter. I have only had this issue with the Federal Bulk. On occasion when unloading the empty casings will have moved a little to the rear and will lock the cylinder up. I close the loading gate and work the hammer. I always frees it up. Those are the only quirks I have had with the revolver, and once you figure out what happened, it takes only a second to get past it.

My first handgun was a Ruger Single Six. This is not a Ruger. However it is a great little plinker for half the price of the Ruger. I have not regretted my purchase at all. I haven't bothered to shoot it past ~25yds, that isn't what I bought it for. I have taken several new shooters out with it, and a couple of them have loved it so much they went out and bought one for themselves.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with it. And using it to teach method and operation to a youth is great. I was taught on single shot bolt action and a revolver. I learned to take my time and about shot placement. I can't recommend the same strong enough, even though I am biased.

The only thing I don't like about the Rough Rider is manual safety, however, it allows you to dry fire the revolver, so I am not completely against it.

Guest captdavidjm

I love those Rugers. I shoot both the MKIII Hunter (SS, 6.8" fluted barrel) and a 22/45 (4.5" threaded barrel) Both are extremely accurate and so far reliable. They are a bit testy to break down (field Strip) the first couple times after-which it gets pretty easy. From plinking to target, I can't think of a shootin' piece I'd rather have.

I am curious were you got a quote out the door for 300 on the MKIII. The best I saw one for about 310 plus tax and tic. It was just before I decided to get my HCP and I have not seen that deal since.

Edit, I just checked Buds and found a pretty good deal on one I might have to pick me one up.

Ruger 22/45 Mark III 22LR for 259.

BTW, Dad had a Ruger .22 he has had for about 36 years. He brought it when I was a baby. It looks like it has been though a war. He once dropped it in a barrel of acid at work. It was the only time it was every fully taken apart and cleaned. I used it to take my HCP class and It shoots very well to this day.

Dads would be considered today a Mark1 but it was made before they had MarkII and III, so it would be the Great one, sort of like the soldiers that fought in WWI did not call it WWI, but the Great War.

Edited by vontar
I am curious were you got a quote out the door for 300 on the MKIII. The best I saw one for about 310 plus tax and tic.

The guy I talked to was at Goodlettsville Gun Shop (Guns, Handgun Permits, & Classes | Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Nashville, TN). I originally contacted him about a FFL transfer, showing him where I could purchase the MkIII for $278 through Buds. He was at $25.00 for the transfer, but looked the gun up and told me he could order it himself for $300 otd. Mind you, it's the standard and blued model. No adjustable sights.

Guest JebusJames

+1 on the Ruger MKIII 22/45. I found it hard to take down but shoot great.

+1 on the Ruger single six for a bit more money.

I've got a Beretta 21A "Bobcat" that is super fun to shoot as well. If you don't mind shooting a very small gun.

the one at buds is ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS, so a thougth would be get it and pay the transfer/tics and still be around 300 if your heart is set on MKIII, however there are several models of the MKIII so check them out. Myself I don't care for the stainless, just blued is fine for me.

After looking at several guns this afternoon, I think I'm going to buy the MkIII. The Heritage revolvers were ok, the Beretta Neos were nice, didn't like the S&W's, and there are very bad reviews on the Sig Mosquito and the Walther P22.

We didn't buy anything today, but the salesman at the Guns and Leather in Hendersonville will probably get my business when I decide to. (even though he tried selling me the Walther and Sig. lol) If we go there to shoot tomorrow... they have a MkIII for rent, and I have about 500 rounds that need to be used up!

:)

Oh yeah... and thank everyone for your responses. At least I had more choices to consider.

I recommended the MKIII 22/45 above since I have one, but since revolvers are now under consideration, I concur with the Heritage recommendation...have one of those too! I think you might have a hard time finding a Single-Six used within your budget, and obviously new is much more. Another used revolver option to consider is one of the High Standard revolvers (Sentinel and Double-Nine are two models). They are single/double action with nine round cylinders. You should be able to get one between $200 to $300.

A different option would be the Phoenix HP22A Rangemaster Kit. You get a 3" and 5" barrel in a semi-automatic pistol and other goodies in a nice storage case. You should be able to find the entire kit for less than $250. They have a pretty good reputation as long as you stay away from extreme high velocity ammo. I plan on getting one of these when I can find one in my area.