Best 'All round' hunting caliber

Handsome Rob

Guest GunTroll

I personally like the M77 actions MKI or II. They aren't often mentioned in being used for custom rifles but they do work just fine. Barreling up one is a breeze. Flat breech face is the easiest to barrel, like a Mauser. Controlled round feed is a real plus as well. With a short action standard bolt face you could build many many cartridge/caliber configurations. Rugers are well built and solid. Bit heavy but that can be a good thing. I had a gent bring on one that he fired a 308 WIN in that was chambered for a 270 WIN. Action and bolt/assembly were just fine. Barrel, stock, bottom metal ruined. Like I say tough action.

I'd do what you think you can do for it. Then if more is needed take it to a smith. You could really give it quite a face lift depending on your budget and all. Tang safety Rugers are good guns IMO.

Not sure I like the .303 . Maybe its the origin that ruins it for me ;) .

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not forget that the OP is looking for "all round". The mention of .25-06 and 243 is about perfect for this. .25-06 is actually a very capable elk cartridge and the .243 is perfect for deer.

The real versatility and reason that these are "all round" cartridges is that if you are not busy smacking big game they can be loaded up with light bullets for varmint control. 270 and 30-06 are great....so is 7mm-08.....but they are not multi purpose in that you wouldn't want to spend a day smacking chucks with a 270

25-06 can suit up with 70 grain bullets at 3800fps for a perfect flat shooting chuck round

or it can also load up with 117 grainers at 3100fps for elk...with a 275 yard point zero good from 0-400 yards!

243 can do the same thing to a slightly lesser degree with the same 6mm high sectional density bullets that have dominated benchrest for decades.

That, my friends, is the epitome of a "all round" cartridge. Either one of these calibers + a shotgun/22 long rifle will do 100% of anything asked this side of the mississippi.

I like Pie, just a point to ponder. I lived in Maine for 25 years. There is no way I would use a 25-06 or a 243 for Moose hunting. Anything else east of the Mississippi, ok. Look at page 33 in

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/licenses_permits/lotteries/moose/pdfs/2011_Moose_Hunters_Guide_FINAL_1September2011.pdf

Just to give some facts about Moose

[h=3]MOOSE FACTS[/h]Life span: 15-25 years

Male moose weigh about 1200-1500 pounds

Female moose weigh more than 900 pounds

Newborns are about 33 pounds and will be 300-400 pounds by its first winter

Average Body length: about 8.5 feet

Average Height: 6-7 feet at the shoulders

The record Moose: Maine's State Records

Moose (Bull) 1,330 Ibs., field dressed, Willard & Sterling, Waterman, New Gloucester, ME, 1982, Marsardis.

There is no way I would use a 25-06 or a 243 for Moose hunting. Anything else east of the Mississippi, ok.

Moose are the grand exception to the "East of the Mississippi" rule. Having lived in Maine, I'm sure you could also point out that even versus a large automobile, the vehicle and its occupants are more likely to be killed than the moose. In the last few months before I left CT, the state put out a warning to drivers that the moose population was growing and expanding, now down into within a few miles of the coast... That's only 40 minutes away from NYC.

Guest GunTroll

When someone finds the best all round hunting cartridge...would you let me know? I could stop experimenting with cartridges. Save thousands on barrels,actions,ammo, misc tools and such. And of course, countless precious man hours. My wife would be happy too BTW.

But, I guess I'd be ready for the grave then because all the fun would be gone. :biglol:

Guest RobThatsMe

I am sticking with my .270 for deer, and 30-06 for moose or elk.

I like the flat shooting 270, and you can select from several grain type rounds, depending on what you are hunting.

Rob

Guest adamoxtwo

I like the flat shooting 270, and you can select from several grain type rounds, depending on what you are hunting.

Rob

Not a bad plan at all

I like the .270 a lot, but that's a lot of powder and blast for an "all-around" cartridge. Also, the lowest bullet weight is 100gr with the most common being 130gr. With the .243, you start all the way down at 58gr and can go up to 100gr.

I would not want to shoot a .270 all day long, but you could easily load up a .243 with 58gr or 75gr bullets and spend an entire day shooting groundhogs or prairie dogs. The report is not too far off from a .22-250 and it's just as comfortable to shoot.

I love .300 Savage. It's such a great round, especially for whitetail deer. However I'm not sure about Elk, I figure it would perform well, but would be limited as to how far you would shoot with it. I'm no ballistics guru though, maybe others can elaborate on it's potential.

7.65 arg :) Because the guns are among the best bolt actions ever made, and you can find a number of bullets for it; there is a 7.65 pistol so slugs for that might make a short range bunny popper, middle of the road 90 grain loads, and on up to 200ish grain slugs. But mosty, the common, inexpensive sporter guns and originals are sweet shooters, the caliber is a side note. Any of these attempts to shove a wide range of slugs down a barrel mean that some of the rounds will be limited by the wrong twist rate, but that is true for the 243 or whatever else as well unless you have a stash of barrels to go with the setup.

The smallest thing the OP mentioned was coyote so I'm not sure if the "varmint" angle really need be weighted too far. The premium bullets of today have really upped the capabilities of rounds like the .243/.257 Roberts/.260 and all are pleasant to shoot and accurate in good rifles. I still vouch for the .308 as lighter bullets can be driven with alacrity but without undue pomp and circumstance while, if desired, 180gr bullets can still be driven over 2600fps. It's this feat that the 24's/25's just can't pull off. Throw in the fact that the .308 is about as ubiquitous as it gets regarding availability and can get by with shorter barrels/actions than the .270/'06 class rifles and there's a lot to like.

Guest adamoxtwo

I impulsively purchased a .270 last year and I wish I would have waited and bought the .243 like I initially wanted. I think in TN a .243 is more then adequate and like others have said the versatility of the cartridge is huge. I had my right shoulder reconstructed a couple years back and would kill (not literally) for a lighter load.

I impulsively purchased a .270 last year and I wish I would have waited and bought the .243 like I initially wanted. I think in TN a .243 is more then adequate and like others have said the versatility of the cartridge is huge. I had my right shoulder reconstructed a couple years back and would kill (not literally) for a lighter load.

Have you considered handloading and loading lighter loads for yourself? I'm afraid you won't find as much difference as you think between the 243 and 270 as far as recoil goes. I load some light rifle loads for my children. They still kill deer readily, but don't cause the boys to flinch. I don't load what I shoot especially hot either.

30/30 is still the old stand by. Great cartridge that it used to be found in many bolt actions. Now-a-days, it seems to be found in only lever guns. I love lever guns, but the 30/30 is almost an entirely different round when you load it into a bolt gun with a spitzer bullet (handloaded). It's as accurate as any round out there. Can be loaded with different types of bullets with weights of 110 to 170gr and is capable of taking any animal in the lower 48 up to Black Bear. One of my wish list guns is an old Stevens Model 325. You just don't see them much anymore.

30/30 is still the old stand by. Great cartridge that it used to be found in many bolt actions. Now-a-days, it seems to be found in only lever guns. I love lever guns, but the 30/30 is almost an entirely different round when you load it into a bolt gun with a spitzer bullet (handloaded). It's as accurate as any round out there. Can be loaded with different types of bullets with weights of 110 to 170gr and is capable of taking any animal in the lower 48 up to Black Bear. One of my wish list guns is an old Stevens Model 325. You just don't see them much anymore.

Thompson Center used to make the Contender in .30-30 IIRC.

Take a look at the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. I have been playing with it over the summer, and am pretty impressed so far.

well, there is that one revolver in 30-30 :blush: but it should be offered in more bolt guns, I agree.

Guest adamoxtwo
Have you considered handloading and loading lighter loads for yourself? I'm afraid you won't find as much difference as you think between the 243 and 270 as far as recoil goes. I load some light rifle loads for my children. They still kill deer readily, but don't cause the boys to flinch. I don't load what I shoot especially hot either.

I have but to be honest with you I think it would be cheaper to sell my .270 and buy a .243. The extra expense that goes into reloading and getting set up (which i understand isn't that expensive, but a price none the less) I would rather go to the store and pick up lighter loads.

Guest GunTroll

Four or five boxes of ammo....would cost about as much as a starter reload set up would.

You don't save money by reloading. You just get to shot twice as much if not more compared to store bought. Or at least thats what I tell myself.