withdrawn

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugging out refers to getting away from population centers in a time of crisis, at least as far as I'm concerned. Camping is having fun. The only thing you can practice is loading everything up into your car, it's hard to simulate unmoving dead-lock on all roads out of town.

If you want to "bug out" to ET then good luck. You'll never make it across the state in time and if you do will go through the 2nd most populated area of TN right into the 3rd.

Now, for just plain camping there are so many state and national parks around here it will make your head spin.

Your better off to stay in West Tennessee and head out of Memphis in any direction. The population in West Tennessee is lower than Middle or East Tennessee. A park probably wouldn't be the best place to go either. You need to get to somewhere that you can be secure in and that has some resources available. You might try making friends with some like minded people, that live in the area you decide to go to.

As for camping being like a bug out, well I guess it could be, if you were to practice some survival techniques while you were camping. I'd recommend that you check out some Prepper sites and some Bushcraft sites. The Prepper sites will give you some ideas about bugging out and what you might need to bug out, etc, etc. Bushcraft Sites tend to go into techniques that you can use while in the woods, like building fires, carving, making things to make you more comfortable, gear for using while camping/bugout. One of the best sites to checkout for stuff like this is Bushcraft USA Portal.

Unless you have a damn good reason (your dwelling is uninhabitable, or in imminent danger), you're better off bugging in. You can keep more supplies, you have shelter, and you have a known place for you and yours to rally.

If you do have to bug out, you'd better have a place to go. Make those plans *now,* because when it's time to act, you don't want to be wandering aimlessly out in the wastelands. There's no reason why "bugging out" has to resemble camping at all. If you have friends or family a good distance away from your place, make arrangements IN ADVANCE to show up there if the SHTF. You might even cache some supplies at their place(s), so you're not a freeloader after you arrive.

If you do end up needing to camp, understand that this had better be a very temporary arrangement. You should have a more permanent destination in mind (see above). You're not going to be the only one needing to sleep out in the woods somewhere, and you have no idea what sort of characters will come across you out there. There will be safety in numbers, so try to find a few reliable friends who might be mutually interested in hanging out after the apocalypse. If you don't have any friends, get a dog.

jwolf4, there is a thread in the Survival forum about organizing an East TN preparedness meetup which you are more than welcome to join. It's still in the planning phases but it'll come together soon (link below). As for camping, when I think of camping I think of comforts. Cramming all sorts of stuff in your vehicle so you'll be comfortable when camping. Bugging out is about survival. You won't have time to toss a whole bunch of junk that you don't really need into your car. Only the basics that will get you through. Shelter, food, clothing, ways to make a fire, etc. Camping means planning in advance. Bugging out means GET YOUR SH*T AND GET OUT NOW. Definitely spend some time camping so you can see what works and what doesn't.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/survival-preparedness/60965-preparation-meetup.html

As others have stated, unless you have no alternative, bugging in is the better choice.

Water is of prime concern. If your apartment has its own water heater, it's got 30-40 gallons of perfectly good water. If you have some warning, fill up the tub. Just look around and see what you can use as a temporary water container. Get a method to purify water... tablets, filter, etc. Boiling is good but uses lots of fuel. Get a copy paper box and fill it with non perishable foods and stick it on the shelf. Two should be eat at least a week on what it'll hold.

There are literally thousands of places to practice "back-country camping". GSMNP, Pisgah NF, Cherokee NF, Chattahoochee NF, Big South Fork, etc. Verify if you need a permit and any site specific requirements before you go.

For backcountry camping, I recommend either Big South Fork or Frozen Head State Park. I've backpacked both of these areas a fair amount and often I see no one else off the popular trails. Both need overnight permits. Frozen Head is free, Big South Fork is $5. I like BSF because there are no designated backcountry camp sites. You just camp pretty much wherever you like (there are a couple rules of course). Backcountry camping really tests what works and what is just dead weight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just went to Frozen Head SP for the first time. Pretty nice but the main and close in trails were busy on a Fall Color Weekend.

It is not handgun permissible friendly. Had to change my carry plans. Folks were family oriented and the dogs friendly so even the bear spray wasn't needed. Tungsten tipped hiking poles were the backup and a few stout blades.

Assuming something not drastic enough to hinder you getting to Memphis you will be driving and you need to at least assume you have the range without having to stop for fuel or carry enough to make it. Your camping equipment if you get can get it all in a couple of packs and mabye a couple carry types would allow you to walk "all the way to Memphis". Get some good topo maps and a pathfinder type compass and learn how to use it. Worst case there is no GPS and no internet or cell service, think EMP event.

I would concentrate on "stuff" that allows you to get where you need to go. Even if it means walking for days on end. Water filtering equipment is a must as are a couple of adequate containers to put the water in. There are water filtration straws which are handy to have under many circumstances. Water, light weight high energy food, lightweight/layerable clothing, good comfortable packs bivy bags instead of a tent for cross State travel, good shoes, socks etc. Most of this stuff isavailable on line such as Campmoor, REI, even Mast General, Bass Pro, Gander etc.

Just think out all the possible contingencies, play what if. Fortunately much of what you need will be good for recreational outdoor use and possible emergencies.

Guest bkelm18
I just went to Frozen Head SP for the first time. Pretty nice but the main and close in trails were busy on a Fall Color Weekend.

It is not handgun permissible friendly. Had to change my carry plans. Folks were family oriented and the dogs friendly so even the bear spray wasn't needed. Tungsten tipped hiking poles were the backup and a few stout blades.

That is incorrect. By law, ALL state parks in TN are carry friendly, regardless of any signs. Yes, Frozen Head does have a sign saying firearms are prohibited but that does not apply to people with a permit.

That is incorrect. By law, ALL state parks in TN are carry friendly, regardless of any signs. Yes, Frozen Head does have a sign saying firearms are prohibited but that does not apply to people with a permit.

+1 for what bkelm18 wrote. I love Frozen Head. I've spoken to one of the rangers there a few times, they know HCP holders are allowed to carry. The TN.gov website FAQS even address this very issue.

Bugging out from Memphis all the way to Frozen Head... Seems like an awful long and dangerous way to go. That's a lot of people you are going to have to avoid. You are going to want to stay away from towns and cities. There are many rivers to cross that are going to require you to cross a bridge. Bridges are great locations for the Government or bad people to put up check points and road blocks, to hinder your movement or other worse things.

The other bad thing about Frozen Head is there are lots of bad people all in one spot, right next door. Just a prison riot away from being free in a TEOTWAWKI situation. Also what is available as resources in the area? Water would be in good supply, along with wood for fire or building if you have the right tools. There would be game for food, but not enough to keep you alive for a long period of time, because you can't just live on meat. Are there any places you might be able to plant a garden? You'll need to be able to defend your garden and shelter from others if there is. Possibly even from that large concentration of prisoners nearby. Are you planning on carrying enough seed with you in order to plant enough food to get you through a winter and another planting.

If there is a good bug out site or even several of them at Frozen Head, who's to say you are going to get there in time to claim one of them. Remember, your coming all the way from Memphis. That trip could take days.

My point is, you need to find something closer to Memphis. Something that you could walk too in a couple of days without a lot of hassle. I just don't think going clear across the state is a good plan. Too many things could go wrong!

Guest President Fernatt
Yes, Barney.

- OS

I was making reference to simply choosing to opt for suicide during an apacolyptic event lol just a bit of dark humor

Guest President Fernatt
So you're thinking about taking the easy way out! ;)

Well I don't guess any of us can say 100% what we would do in that situation...The buildings crumbling around us, America's leaders in a bunker for 20 years, ordinarily sweet neighbors turning into animalistic aggressors (I don't mean zombies...I mean normal humans forced to kill others for survival), and the knowledge that your family in another state or town is probably all gone... I would certainly consider the "easy way out" especially taking into account the fact that my faith doesn't mandate a suicide will send me to hell...

BUT, even with the security that I would transition to Heaven after death, I just don't think I could pull the trigger. I would make every effort to survive albeit in vain. Something about a post-apacolyptic world intrigues me...at least just to experience it and potentially have a hand in rebuilding a region or nation.

I think a lot of us are, deep down, intrigued with such a world and how we might do. Almost as if it were starting over. Sadly, I think the "adventure" aspect of it would be over fairly quickly. Replaced by fear, distrust, hunger, thirst and despair. You have to know that whatever happens, it's going to be rough, very rough in a TEOTWAWKI.

I always said if I was at work and we had a warning of a nuclear attack from the Russians (got to remember I'm 48 and they were the enemy) rather than try to make it home, I'd just head to the nearest Stop n Rob, buy a six pack and watch the light show from the hood of my car. I figured I wouldn't make it home anyway, with Oak Ridge being so close.

Guest msparks

I'm late to this one, but ever think of bugging out on someone's farm, where you can "volunteer" to help them while you are staying there, maybe sleeping in the corner of a barn.

in a SHTF senario, going "camping" is a pretty worthless idea, #1 you can't do it all alone, #2 you can't carry everything you need. Finding others where you could go to, friends, family, like minded others would be a much better idea.

I tell my farmer friends, you can grow stuff, I can help and I also have other skills you might need. You do have to sleep sometime and you know those "coyotes" can be sort of a pest.

Just a thought.

I'm late to this one, but ever think of bugging out on someone's farm, where you can "volunteer" to help them while you are staying there, maybe sleeping in the corner of a barn.

in a SHTF senario, going "camping" is a pretty worthless idea, #1 you can't do it all alone, #2 you can't carry everything you need. Finding others where you could go to, friends, family, like minded others would be a much better idea.

I tell my farmer friends, you can grow stuff, I can help and I also have other skills you might need. You do have to sleep sometime and you know those "coyotes" can be sort of a pest.

Just a thought.

Yes, yes, yes. Want to find someone who will survive, maybe even thrive WTSHTF? Here's a clue, he doesn't wear camo, he probably hasn't even heard the word "tactical" before. He'll likely be wearing a pair of bib overalls, and he will know everything about dirt, Massey Furgeson and skinning knives ;)

Hey guys, new guy here.

My wife and I have been working on ours for some time. This is our plan.

Bug Out – Get Home

Chances are that during an emergency or SHTF situation, we will be at home or at work. We keep 3-day “bug out†packs secured in each vehicle along with extra water, medical supply and tools (to help others). Each bag contains food/water, tools, first aid, shelter, communications and backup protection. Their primary purpose is to get us home if something happens while we are out or at work. If there is an emergency while at home, I bring them in to supplement our home supplies.

Bugging In – Home Base

My basement is stocked with 6 months of supplies. Our plan is to stay home until those resources are exhausted or the local situation is too dangerous\unhealthy to remain. I live in Memphis and have already lived through a week-long WROL situation so I know things can go south fast and hard.

Bug Out – Secondary Home Base

We have a cabin in rural Mississippi that can be reached from our Memphis home in just over 3 days on foot if we take the longest of 3 planed routes. *Ideally we would be able to load up our two vehicles with remaining home supplies, but if not, then we will repack\reconfigure the bug-bags for the travel. The cabin is currently stocked with another 6-months of supplies.

The property belongs to my parents who also have a house there (so it’s not abandoned). There is also another cabin for my brother and his family.

Practice

We may go camping once a year. I am not a big fan of sleeping in a tent just to sleep in a tent so I try to combine it with kayaking or some other activity. We will usually go over basic bush-crafting skills then.

On the last Friday of every month, we have a “Survival Date Nightâ€. *Before we leave work (we work close together), we will turn on the CB radios in the Bug Out bags to test them. I will then meet her at her job (as is the plan) and then we will both travel together home using 1 of 3 routes.

That evening, we will go to the range for practice and then hit a nice restaurant.