Literature to pass out while OCing

Guest WestonGray

Guest WestonGray

I open carry most of the time. One of the biggest reasons I do so is to start conversations with folks about the benefits of carry and our rights to do so. I have had several good conversations and even a couple that I feel may have inspired people to get the HCP. There are situations however that I don't have time for lengthy conversations (such as talking to a cashier and there is a line behind me), and I would love to have something that I could hand them in such circumstances. I was wondering if any of ya'll know of anyplace I could order something like that or a file you could link me to. I was originally thinking like a tri-fold brochure, but I don't want to have 2 or 3 of those standing in my hip pocket all the time. A business card size I think to small to get a whole lot of information on, I know you could put a link to a website, but in case they don't follow through on that I was thinking something that would give them a nice overview. Maybe like a gospel tract size thing. Anyway, anything along those line would be great, even if it is big or just a business card. I may potentially make my own, but would like to see how others have been sructured, as well as what information has been put on them.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justluck
I open carry most of the time. One of the biggest reasons I do so is to start conversations with folks about the benefits of carry and our rights to do so. I have had several good conversations and even a couple that I feel may have inspired people to get the HCP. There are situations however that I don't have time for lengthy conversations (such as talking to a cashier and there is a line behind me), and I would love to have something that I could hand them in such circumstances. I was wondering if any of ya'll know of anyplace I could order something like that or a file you could link me to. I was originally thinking like a tri-fold brochure, but I don't want to have 2 or 3 of those standing in my hip pocket all the time. A business card size I think to small to get a whole lot of information on, I know you could put a link to a website, but in case they don't follow through on that I was thinking something that would give them a nice overview. Maybe like a gospel tract size thing. Anyway, anything along those line would be great, even if it is big or just a business card. I may potentially make my own, but would like to see how others have been sructured, as well as what information has been put on them.

Business card - "Have Gun Will Travel" :stare: Just kidding!

Maybe something showing statistics like those published recently by the FBI showing where gun related crimes are lower in areas with less restrictive gun laws.

Business card,

Legally Armed...

An armed society is a polite society...

God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal....

On the back you could put something referring to the 2A

The second amendment insures the freedom of the other 26.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Keep it simple and without the funny but not too helpful statements. The funny quotes could be offensive to some and may seem to be taking the subject less seriously. How about the 2nd in full (all the text not a snippet) and a working defination of militia such as: mi·li·tia ... The whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service. Surround that with some basic links to good web sites (want to know more? visit www.whatever.org). Maybe a small amount of pro gun text but these basics are all you need. Along with the militia defined, you might note that all the other bill of rights refer to THE PEOPLE to mean all citizens. The 2nd uses THE PEOPLE as well: "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" compared to "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances" and so on. Liberals (dont say this!) often claim THE PEOPLE as all citizens for every other right, but want to limit the THE PEOPLE for the second.... plenty of times the term has been used to mean all citizens, so that can be used in our favor!

Edited by Jonnin
Guest Broomhead

What about a double-sized business card that is then folded in half (like a V) to make it a standard business card size, only slightly thicker. You would then have twice the printing/writing space of a business card, but still the diminutive size of one.

You could also do it triple-sized, folded like a Z, still small but slightly thicker, yet 3x the space.

If you come up with what you want on it, I can lay it out for you and put it into a .pdf.

Probably not the only one that thinks this way - but I'm not a big fan of open carry. In a day and age where nut jobs go on shooting sprees it is not surprising that people might feel a bit threatened or uncomfortable standing in line at the Walmart with someone who is not a LEO with a gun visible on their hip. It is because of the open carry of others that places like Costco in Middle Tennessee have gun buster signs up. For what purpose are you open carrying? Personally, I would not want the attention nor would I want to be a target in the event something bad went down. Just my opinion :stare:

I support the intention - I OC a lot myself.

The problem you may see is that some businesses may consider you to be soliciting. By handing out literature, you are doing just that, even if that same literature was saying how wonderful Joe's Supermarket is (while being inside Joe's Supermarket no less). Put soliciting with the negative impression that some folks have about guns in general, and you have 2 +2 = 5 on your hands.

I like the idea. I have noticed that most people I encounter are more curious than nervous. A bit of info to leave them with could be a good thing.

I have also noticed more HCP holders on this site make a bigger deal out of OC than anyone I have ever met in public.

Probably not the only one that thinks this way - but I'm not a big fan of open carry. In a day and age where nut jobs go on shooting sprees it is not surprising that people might feel a bit threatened or uncomfortable standing in line at the Walmart with someone who is not a LEO with a gun visible on their hip. It is because of the open carry of others that places like Costco in Middle Tennessee have gun buster signs up. For what purpose are you open carrying? Personally, I would not want the attention nor would I want to be a target in the event something bad went down. Just my opinion ;)

good thing he asked for opinions on open carry in general.......oh wait.

Open carry is for those wishing to become the first targets. Concealed carry is for those that wish to choose when they become a target. Open carry will not give you an advantage in a defensive shooting. Concealed carry does not take any capabilities away, and gives you the option of suprise.

Open carry is for those wishing to become the first targets. Concealed carry is for those that wish to choose when they become a target. Open carry will not give you an advantage in a defensive shooting. Concealed carry does not take any capabilities away, and gives you the option of suprise.

I wouldn’t try to make arguments for carry; you won’t change anyone’s mind and there’s no point wasting a card on them. Give a link to here or to the Tennessee State HCP web page to those people that want information on obtaining an HCP.

Once they start getting the information and some training they can make an informed decision on whether or not they want to open carry.

I don’t open carry, so I won’t need any cards, but I think I’ve seen some ideas posted here a long time ago about this topic.

Aside from some of the more obvious reasons to not OC that were already mentioned here, one big thing that one has to consider is desensitization. The more the public sees OC, the greater the likelihood that they become desensitized to it. The more they are desensitized, the greater the likelihood for a criminal to OC and not draw unnecessary attention to him/herself. The last thing we need is for rampant OC to increase the incidence of gun-related violence, resulting in stricter gun control. While one may argue that if everyone was OCing, everyone would be less likely to commit a crime due to fear of reprisal; in the mind of the criminal, logic and reason is not always there.

Currently, OC draws attention because there is either justified or unjustified fear. People are more likely to point out somebody who is OCing to a LEO so that the carrier may be accosted to verify a valid HCP. They are also even more likely to just avoid that person. The public at large typically uses the avoidance approach. If it is already currently rare for somebody that is OCing to be asked to provide proof of HCP, it will be even more rare if OCing was to be made commonplace. A degree of fear and misunderstanding keeps people vigilant.

I have an HCP but do not find it prudent to OC in public.

Guest Broomhead

The OP only asked about obtaining or creating some form of literature for when he doesn't have the time to engage in an extended conversation with curious individuals. He never asked about OC vs CC, what everyone's opinions are on OC, how you may or may not be more of a target when OCing, or whether OC is a good idea or bad and why. Yet everyone interjected their views on these unasked questions anyway. Why? Answer the man's question or offer helpful advice in finding that answer. Do we really need another OC vs CC debate? Yeah like another hole in the head, or another Glock vs 1911 thread.

You know all of this to be fact? Have you "Been there, Done that"? You know that the 'bad guy' is going to be able to see me OCing by the gas station coolers while he is intently focused on waving his knife in the face of the clerk?

Edited by Broomhead
Probably not the only one that thinks this way - but I'm not a big fan of open carry. In a day and age where nut jobs go on shooting sprees it is not surprising that people might feel a bit threatened or uncomfortable standing in line at the Walmart with someone who is not a LEO with a gun visible on their hip. It is because of the open carry of others that places like Costco in Middle Tennessee have gun buster signs up. For what purpose are you open carrying? Personally, I would not want the attention nor would I want to be a target in the event something bad went down. Just my opinion ;)

This^

I seriously think the brochure is the wrong way to go about changeing peoples views.

i agree,, element of surprise

and how could you possibly know this? 100% unsupported opinion.

Why do businesses hire security guards and off duty LEO's to patrol the business? Pretty simple, it's a deterrent. But somehow this same concept does not apply to openly armed citizens?

This idea that OCers will be constantly targeted is completely unsupported, but I guess if people keep repeating it over and over on the internet it must be true. Really not sure why it's such a debate. If you want to OC then do it, if not then continue to carry concealed. Every day 1000's of people open carry in the U.S and the only people that seem to constantly bitch about it are ones on internet forums.

You know all of this to be fact? Have you "Been there, Done that"? You know that the 'bad guy' is going to be able to see me OCing by the gas station coolers while he is intently focused on waving his knife in the face of the clerk?

I spent over a decade in the armed security field both uniformed and plainclothes, high risk, and property guard, bank guard, and other situations. THe guy that comes into the gas station to rob it usually does survelliance first to see who is in there. If you walk into the gas station in the middle of a robbery (and usually, gas station robberies happen with guns, not knives, because there's this big thing called a counter in between the robber and the clerk), and the assailant sees you open carrying a gun, your presence with the gun is probably going to escalate the situation, and the bad guy is is now most likely armed with another (your) gun, because he had his out first, and you were just ho-hum walking into the gas station for a case of beer and some smokes. Open carry is outside the norm currently. Anything that is outside the norm or different from what people usually expect will get noticed. Open carrying a firearm gets you noticed quick, and by many people. It's kind of like a big neon sign that follows you around saying "I'm carrying a gun, look a me!!!!!".

Concealed carry gives you the element of surprise in a developing situation because if you conceal well, YOU get to make the call on when you unholster and get in the fight. Open carrying will usually escalate a situation and force you into taking action with your firearm before you are ready, and have had a chance to asses the situation to see if it can be solved without the use of your weapon.

Weston, welcome to TGO!

And mentioning open carry around here is the equivalent of having a "kick me" sign on your back. :D

And I wouldn't go around passing out literature indiscriminately, but it would be nice to have something like that for someone bold enough to ask. I think it's a good idea and worthy of discussion.

Hey guys! I thought this was a forum where people share ideas? Erik? No? I know there are differing opinions on open carry. Help me understand the purpose of open carry? Benefits? I'm asking seriously. Why would you do it?

I will say this, after being on this forum, I did not realize how many people do carry.