What do YOU use to clean and oil your gun?

In reality pretty much anything you use is going to be alright unless you're going to be doing several thousands of rounds between cleanings. It's just a personal preference when it comes to cleaning and oil. Any of the major products out there will do the job. Hoppes has been working fine forever.

This is basically what I was saying in my first post. I was really more curious if anyone had legitimate horror stories from JUST using Breakfree CLP for cleaning and lubrication or horror stories from using it when paired with a dedicated solvent / lube. Thanks for all the input everyone. I suppose I will try out just Breakfree CLP alone for a little while and maybe snag some Hoppe's #9 solvent and see if the gun ends up cleaner.

Edited by pattywak
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the same stuff works better than all that high end oil that you pay for have been doing that same thing for over 20 years guns still run as smooth as the day I bought them. 3 kimbers 1 wilson and 1 40 emp 1 lwrc ar and 1 S&W ar15 all work jest as smooth no wear what so ever I thought I was the only one that did that Darn now every ones going to know bkem18

I think it comes down to how much elbow grease it takes in some circumstances. Heavy copper fowling in a fast center fire rifle probably needs more than CLP. I use Hoppe's Elite copper solvent for that. For pistols, I use whatever, and scrub until the black stuff goes away.

I just have my FNX-9 pistol right now, but since it's my daily carry gun I would rather it be as clean as possible within reason. but thank you for the info.

Montana Extreme solvent (Hold your breath!!!)

Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic for moving parts

Either Lucas red or Texaco Starfak grease on rails and axis pins.

Remoil - for spraying down exterior surfaces

For those that don't use synthetic motor oil, do you realize the best quart of oil money can buy will run you $10 maybe and that quart of oil will last a LOOOOOOONG time.

All them fancy snake oils cost ten times that and work no better...if they even work as good. If it will handle 6,000+ horsepower from a top fuel funny car....it'll handle my little AR-15 just fine.

I use whatever is cheapest\available for cleaning and Tetra for lube.

For those that don't use synthetic motor oil, do you realize the best quart of oil money can buy will run you $10 maybe and that quart of oil will last a LOOOOOOONG time.

All them fancy snake oils cost ten times that and work no better...if they even work as good. If it will handle 6,000+ horsepower from a top fuel funny car....it'll handle my little AR-15 just fine.

I'm not going to go broke by spending a couple bucks on a tube of Tetra :)

I use whatever is cheapest\available for cleaning and Tetra for lube.

I'm not going to go broke by spending a couple bucks on a tube of Tetra :)

No, and I wouldn't either,,,,,,but is it really any better. Their action blaster isn't bad, but the little $5 bottle of oil wasn't any better. In my worthless opinion:)

BCM=Bravo Company Manufacturing

One of the top AR vendor/builders for the "common man"

Ah thanks for the info.

Butch's Bore Shine for all my bores.

Hoppes for everything else.

Breakfree LP for stuff needin' oilin'.

Militec Grease for stuff needin' greasin'.

Rem 700 gets RemOil 'cause the manual says so.

Spit & Snot for my Glock 'cause...it's a Glock.

This is probably a newb question...what's the difference between oiling and greasing?

Ah thanks for the info.

This is probably a newb question...what's the difference between oiling and greasing?

For oiling you use oil. For greasing you use grease. :P I use grease on surfaces that slide across each other, like the slide/frame rails.

Oil is like the oil in your car...same type of flow/viscosity

Grease is more like vaseline

whether you use oil or grease is really a personal preference though some guns and or components seem to favor one over the other.

Most people would not grease the bolt carrier group of their AR15 because its too thick so you would want something thinner...such as....OIL!

Most Sig Sauer fanatics recommend using grease on the slides because it stays in place better and gives more of a cushion especially in the all stainless guns whereas an oil is not gonna give enough "cushion" for the metal to metal contact

(least thats how I understand/use the two)

Oil is like the oil in your car...same type of flow/viscosity

Grease is more like vaseline

whether you use oil or grease is really a personal preference though some guns and or components seem to favor one over the other.

Most people would not grease the bolt carrier group of their AR15 because its too thick so you would want something thinner...such as....OIL!

Most Sig Sauer fanatics recommend using grease on the slides because it stays in place better and gives more of a cushion especially in the all stainless guns whereas an oil is not gonna give enough "cushion" for the metal to metal contact

(least thats how I understand/use the two)

I like grease because it doesn't go anywhere. It stays where I put it and last a long time.

So when it comes to oil vs. grease, it's really up to personal opinion as far as what you use on a pistol?

I have an FNX, and in the manual it makes no mention of a specific type of lubrication.

Yep. Still personal preference. Some guns just run better with it, some don't.

So when it comes to oil vs. grease, it's really up to personal opinion as far as what you use on a pistol?

I have an FNX, and in the manual it makes no mention of a specific type of lubrication.

As Mike said, I like grease cause it doesn't run all over the place, stays where you put it for a long time. Otherwise both work just fine

• 2 weeks later...

For cleaning out the crud, I use plain old Hoppe's #9. On my Mark III, if I don't feel like stripping it, GunScrubber is used. For lube, I use grease as much as I can, since, as Mike mentioned, it stays put. I have had good results with SlideGlide lite, but for the most part, grease is grease, and you can use it how you want. If you are shooting in moderate to cold weather, choose your grease based on the weapon and intended application. Brian Enos' site pimps SlideGlide, since he is the mfg. or at least licensee, but there is a decent explanation of the different varieties of his grease, and what they're for, here. The principles extend to any other grease you may want to use.

For areas I can't reach with a brush / grease, I use a drop of plain old RemOil. Hammer pins, etc.

Also, a friendly reminder from your neighborhood chemistry guy: if it's got Teflon (PTFE) in it, keep it out of your chamber and barrel. Nothing good happens when PTFE is set on fire. There's no proof that it's harmful, but there's none that it isn't, and you don't want to be the 1st case study.

Also, a friendly reminder from your neighborhood chemistry guy: if it's got Teflon (PTFE) in it, keep it out of your chamber and barrel. Nothing good happens when PTFE is set on fire. There's no proof that it's harmful, but there's none that it isn't, and you don't want to be the 1st case study.

Doesn't Breakfree CLP have teflon in it? What's wrong with using it in the chamber and barrel?

Edited by pattywak